Micecraft 1.3 -------> Tekkit

Craxyme

Ok so here is an explanation.

Minecraft SSP will function like a server. This is to make life easier so that they only need to create SMP versions of their mods. Thus Technic will not exist as a SSP version but as an SMP version.

Got it?

Ok so here is an explanation.

Minecraft SSP will function like a server. This is to make life easier so that they only need to create SMP versions of their mods. Thus Technic will not exist as a SSP version but as an SMP version.

Got it?

But what will happen to mods like Somnia? That are pretty much useless in Smp?

But what will happen to mods like Somnia? That are pretty much useless in Smp?

Why would they necessarily be useless in SMP? Small numbers of players can still agree to sleep and accelerate the game. It just might break the weaker servers, is all. :)

Their will be still be a technic and a Tekkit I think, with technic still being focused on single player and tekkit on SMP.

I have a feeling technic will focus on single player and small scale SMP. While Tekkit will remain focused on large scale SMP.

In other words you would not want to make a 30+ user technic server unless your crazy, but a small 5 to 6 users server would be fine.

well, the question is where are the individual mod authors in their progress to MC1.3 compatibility? In the end technic/tekkit is at the mercy of the mod authors getting up to snuff with the whole smp mandate. And how they adapt their individual packs might dictate how technic/tekkit evolve from there

Why would they necessarily be useless in SMP? Small numbers of players can still agree to sleep and accelerate the game. It just might break the weaker servers, is all. :)

But what if someone uses a clock on a bed, and chooses to sleep for a different time than everyone else?

But what if someone uses a clock on a bed, and chooses to sleep for a different time than everyone else?

I'm fairly sure an SMP version of Somnia would be more limited in scope and capabilities. It would probably be required to sleep until dawn, and you'd only be able to sleep at night.

I agree with you but i personally think that normal or vanilla sleeping should work like somnia but instead of the laggy progress bar thingy it should just skip to morning

But then, the only difference would be that you can choose how long you sleep, the simulation aspect would be absent.

when i updated my tekkit/technic my singleplayer map was deformed by hills and all by machinery was gone and most of my items in chest. any idea what happened? any help would be very helpful.

Older worlds aren't compatible with 7.2.

A cool idea for Somnia for SMP would be;

- All players have to sleep to "simulate" the world.

- The server chooses the client with the slowest simulation rate (Mine's x5, my friend's is x10) and simulates the world at that rate. (So it will be in sync)

- If someone chooses to wake up, server cancels simulation and forces all players to get up from bed.

- Players can sleep at any time of day, but in order to simulate all players require to sleep.

- The server chooses the client with the slowest simulation rate (Mine's x5, my friend's is x10) and simulates the world at that rate. (So it will be in sync)

So run the simulation *on the client*? OH HELL NO! Seriously, what are you gonna do, upload the state back to the server over the client's network connection? And the potential for cheats/hacks is just way too great here. Further, as of 1.3, the required simulation logic doesn't actually exist in the client code.

You're severely overthinking things. Personally, I'd bring up the traditional menu, no restrictions here, but then bring up the vanilla "bed lobby" screen until everyone hits a bed. Then the simulation runs, and this is key, *on the server*. If someone wakes up early, I'll boot people back to the bed lobby and start the process again from that point. Easy.

No, the server chooses the slowest simulation rate all the clients have, and the server simulates it. It just picks the rate.

Orrr it could just choose a default rate that the server can handle and stick with it. Why limit server speed by the speed of the clients' PCs?