First time MC for my GF

You better start with vanilla in my opinion. Tekkit is very complicated and complex. She should start from the basics, like crafting etc. maybe in a month or so you can play tekkit with her. And something else: When you start with Tekkit and than go back to vanilla, I think she would be disappointed how much things are missing.

I suggest not bringing her to the world of minecraft if you want her to keep being your girlfriend, if this isn't the case then i would suggest to start with Tekkit, it should be fun and frustrating if you both play together instead of playing different mods/servers

Start in a Tekkit world. Teach her all of the vanilla stuff first and explain the concepts like XP, normal crafting and such. Then splatter her brains on a wall by showing her a red-power frame that eats planets as appetizers.

Seriously though show her vanilla then one mod at a time till she understands it all.

I don't think tekkit needs to be that complex, at least not more than you do it. Tekkit doesn't really increase the difficulty, so even if she just "gets" some parts of tekkit soon there's nothing to lose compared to regular minecraft. Just don't require her to understand everything of the bat.

Some parts of regular minecraft I find far more complex than some part of tekkit (properly enchanting is harder than upgrading your furnace to iron) and some parts get easier by having tekkit (Redstone timers. Need I say more?)

As soon as one wants to start building anything mechanical, tekkit makes life easier.

And the recipe mode of NEI will make things TONS easier, while showing of all the cool things that can be made in MC.

I suggest not bringing her to the world of minecraft if you want her to keep being your girlfriend, if this isn't the case then i would suggest to start with Tekkit, it should be fun and frustrating if you both play together instead of playing different mods/servers

Ha-ha! That was a good laugh. Funny thing is, I play with my girlfriend all the time and we actually complement each other quite well because of our playstyle(s).

@OP, if you want to bring her into vanilla MC first, I suggest a simple map where she can get her bearings and understand the basics. The first map I ever played with my girlfriend was this one and it helped her learn to play and helped us get used to working together to achieve a common goal. If you teach her Tekkit first, you'll have to teach her the vanilla basics and restrain yourself from tech-ing faster than she can understand it (imagine not knowing a damn thing and walking into an automated factory or seeing a RP2 frames quarry). However, that would allow you guys to progress in one world and keep working toward one thing.

Once you've taught her Tekkit, why not end your relationship with some FTB (the new 9005 co-op or the upcoming versus).

Ha-ha! That was a good laugh. Funny thing is, I play with my girlfriend all the time and we actually complement each other quite well because of our playstyle(s).

@OP, if you want to bring her into vanilla MC first, I suggest a simple map where she can get her bearings and understand the basics. The first map I ever played with my girlfriend was this one and it helped her learn to play and helped us get used to working together to achieve a common goal. If you teach her Tekkit first, you'll have to teach her the vanilla basics and restrain yourself from tech-ing faster than she can understand it (imagine not knowing a damn thing and walking into an automated factory or seeing a RP2 frames quarry). However, that would allow you guys to progress in one world and keep working toward one thing.

Once you've taught her Tekkit, why not end your relationship with some FTB (the new 9005 co-op or the upcoming versus).

It was supposed to be a joke so im glad you had your laugh -_-

Well ofcourse I will only teach her Vanila things at first and then slowly progress towards Tekkit.

Now I just need to find a mod to disable mods and enable hunger in tekkit later on.

Thank you guys for all your answers :)

To disable mods just remove them from the server's mod folder. To enable hunger, just change the difficulty in the server properties file (I play on 3 - Hard, and wouldn't recommend 4 because it should ban anyone who dies).

I don't think Tekkit is for everybody. Most of it will only be appreciated by supreme geeks. I own both a vanilla and a Tekkit server and only a few players moved to my Tekkit server when I introduced it. Some people are as happy as they can be living in a wooden house with two cows and a chicken. I live in a giant city with complex forcefield setups, scrolling messages on monitors and flashing lights, and tube spaghettis everywhere shooting shit back and forth for my viewing pleasure and I make it more complex every day.

Start her with vanilla first. Like some people already said, she will never enjoy vanilla if she digs straight into Tekkit and she will hate you for doing that to her once she realizes it. Once she beats the mighty Dragon, then introduce her to Tekkit.