Ugocraft?

Zegaroth

That's mostly because the blocks have to be removed from the world, generated as entities, and re-added to the world, which not only stops them from working for the duration they're represented as entities, but off the top of my head there are at least three different ways to remove a block from the world programmatically (of which most mods handle only one, the case of an entity or explosion breaking it). Lordy, you should see the clusterfuck that is the old alchemical chest, and the way it initialized itself. Phew.

Redpower does it the smartest way possible, as far as I can tell, which is why it is able to successfully move machines safely, preserving NBT information and all that. That's what happens when a block turns into a crate during movement: Redpower wraps it carefully in cellophane and carries it gently to its destination, because it doesn't know what it is and wants to be safer than sorrier. Hopefully Ugo is as smart.

That's what happens when a block turns into a crate during movement: Redpower wraps it carefully in cellophane and carries it gently to its destination, because it doesn't know what it is and wants to be safer than sorrier.

That's definitely my favorite explanation of Redpower frames turning blocks into crates.

It allows you to judder blocks along one block at a time, Ugocraft and Zeppelin mod form the blocks into entities, which allows unconstrained movement.

Well, Redpower frames turn the blocks into entities too, actually.

Well, Redpower frames turn the blocks into entities too, actually.

Indeed: The only restrictions to movement (and the slowness) during frame manipulation are actually Redpower-imposed. With an expanded UI and some additional flexibility, frames could basically be Ugocraft.

Whether or not I do anything about Ugocraft, the first thing thing I should do is learn Java.

as someone who actually knows java, and knew it before every even looking at deobfuscated minecraft code, I don't think there could possibly be a worse way to pick up java. you're welcome to have a go at it, but I hope you have a hell of a lot of determination and motivation to do this. the codebase is absolutely horrid and I can't imagine ugocraft is any better. if that doesn't deter you though, more power to you.

If you already have a good bit of OO experience in programming, though, you're in good shape, because for someone learned in C++ or the like, Java is a cakewalk. It is a lot less powerful than bigger languages but much richer in flexibility. Java is a lot like Minecraft itself: Building blocks you assemble into a stacked whole.

That's a shame. Hopefully Eloraam will add rotation to frames, then. In theory, it shouldn't be too much additional code.

That 'rotation' would still be as jaunty as moving one block.

And how the hell do you rotate an inchworm drive? We'd have to come up with a seriously 'revolutionary' :D way of making a six-axis platform.

Doesnt redpower allow moving doors and muc guffins like that

RedPower allows you to create moving doors and alike using its motors and frames, but they can only move in a grid fashion. Ugocraft allows you to rotate object and has more features, but you can still make some interesting contraptions with RedPower. =)