Forcefields are worthless

Flax

Just figured out something on computer safety... Wouldn't it be better to have a disk drive always in the computer at the forcefield edge, and carry a boot disk that both wipes the computers memory and starts up a login program? That way you'd be more protected against keyloggers and alterations in your login program.

Does it matter if they have full access to the computer if you don't keep anything on it? You could send the password to another computer, so the only output the comp needs is a single wire. And if they don't know how the program works, then they both have to figure out how to program it AND figure out the password itself.

For me this is all just theory anyways. I know about jack shit about programming - I'm just used to dungeon mastering PnP games so the whole measure/countermeasure/countermeasure to countermeasure is something I'm used to xD

You could send the password to another computer, so the only output the comp needs is a single wire.

Hence keyloggers.

You install a keylogger which can be done almost invisibly, and is very hard to detect without super annoying manual inspection. Then when they type the password in, you've got it, even though it wouldnt normally be stored there. There's other nasty stuff you could do too. Like hiding nukes under the computer, and rigging it to trigger them when the person tries to type the password. Combine this with a program that stops it from actually sending the correct password. They will sit there at the computer trying to figure out whats wrong, right where you want them for the 13 seconds until the nuke explodes. Grab their stuff!

Yeah, and that's why I thought about the disk in the first place. The disk would contain a boot program that first wiped the computer clean (if that's possible?), then ran the login program.

Also, you could probably make the other computer do a check of what the login program contains.

I'm assuming a bit on what you can do and not here, because I don't know the exact limits. But I'm thinking like:

Insert disk in access computer. Boot access computer. Hard drive is wiped. Starts up login program that sends automatic message (that you don't have to type in, can be however complex you want, and can probably even change for every time used). Door control computer reads message, if okay sends back a blip. Actual password prompt appears when the blip back reaches the access computer, you type in the password that is sent to the door control computer. If okay, forcefield deactivated.

Would that be possible?

Ahh.. gotcha. Sure, but... once they hack into your computer, then they can just do >>edit disk/startup and alter your disk program that checks for things and/or wipes the computer, so that it checks incorrectly or DOESNT wipe the computer ;)

I suppose maybe you could have transposers and like 4 copies of that disk, and every time its used, it gets sucked out, wiped on another computer inside and replaced with a secure version of the file, and the new one is rotate in from a chest.

Getting a little silly though compared to other alternatives like ender chests and item detectors.

ugh sorry, i interpreted your original post as

Just figured out something on computer safety... Wouldn't it be better to have a disk drive always in the computer at the forcefield edge, and [have that drive] carry a boot disk that both wipes the computers memory and starts up a login program? That way you'd be more protected against keyloggers and alterations in your login program.

Like a permanent disk behind it or something.

If you carry it that might work. Can't think of any work around off the top of my head.

Playing around with frame motors, I realized that if you move a forcefield projector with frames, the forcefield will not move - not even that, but deactivating and reactivating the forcefield it will still be in the original spot of the projector. So if projector is in pos X, you activate the forcefield, and move the projector with frames to pos X+5, the forcefield will still be centered on pos X. If you deactivate the forcefield and move the projector to pos X+15 and reactivate the forcefield it will still be centered to X.

On one hands, that's really sad news. My idea of a flying fortress just got so much complicated (if it's even possible now, but I'm thinking deployers to constantly disable and rebuild the projectors). On the other hand, can this be abused to improve defense? Any ideas, anyone?

• 4 weeks later...

you mean like stair stepping it in the direction you want.

an example would be to use 5 deployers in a plus sign. with the center field active, deploy the leading edge field and activate, move the fortress, pick up the (former center but now) trailing edge field and repeat by deploying it on the leading edge.

I think the best use of force fields would be in traps. A few deflectors set up properly could cage someone looting your stuff if done properly, and with things like CCSensors and turtles you can make the trigger undetectable - they'll probably rage quit the server if you manage to stick them in a 1x2x1 space(so there is only room for them), since if it's a box with no corners and no room to place blocks, I'm fairly sure that at least most FF greifing methods will be unworkable. A possible method of trapping them inside the forcefield would be teleporters- perhaps underneath a corridor which has it's floor removed by pistons(CCSensors triggered?), more than one block long, which would teleport anyone who hasn't done something in particular, such as the key card method, into this forcefield. I would consider the greatest use of forcefields to actually be containment, rather than the more commonly used and better known repulsion, since it renders most, if not all, the usual methods of cheating forcefields useless as well as consuming far less energy to run constantly. Of course, the very best method of protecting your stuff is actually not to be found in the first place - all defences are useless if there's no need to defend anything.

Containment is indeed a good usage of forcefields. I almost stole the entire End by containing all the entrance platforms once (don't do that - turns out it crashes your game irreversibly if there's a force field above the platform, for some reason... Still secures the end, I guess, but in a way that makes other not able to play the game).

There are still definitely ways to get out of a small containment field, but the ones I can think of still require you to have brought specific items with you, and if you haven't, then you're screwed. So they might work on a lot of people.

Can teleporters teleport across dimensions by the way??? If so, your method might be a lot more useful, potentially...

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Ysharma

On one hands, that's really sad news. My idea of a flying fortress just got so much complicated (if it's even possible now, but I'm thinking deployers to constantly disable and rebuild the projectors). On the other hand, can this be abused to improve defense? Any ideas, anyone?

I believe that the place the forcefield projects is determined by the frequency card inside, ill play around with it tonight

• 1 month later...

Wow, just wow. You necro'd a thread with nothing useful to add, AND double-posted. The only thing which could make it worse is the posts being signed.

And I don't really get the people who join SMP servers and then build 500000 blocks away. Might as well play SSP.