New Computer Choices

NoopDawg77

Well, Toshiba is generally an excellent manufacturer. You'll probably get more out of a toshiba than most other brands. Stay FAR away from anything bearing the Acer label. HP is a crapshoot, but if you're a student and can spend more than $800 on your computer, you can get a free Xbox360 out of the deal.

In the description, make sure they mention the video card, because if they dont, it probably means that it has a shittastic intel integrated 512mb piece of crap.

If you want more specific advice, you'll need to give us a pricerange.

A budget would be nice indeed. Personally, I presently have an ASUS G55V, and it's definitely one of the best gaming laptops I've ever had; the price is VERY reasonable for the features, also. Also, don't fall in the alienware trap, it's Apple all over again; half of the price is the fancy logo.

Also, don't fall in the alienware trap, it's Apple all over again; half of the price is the fancy logo.

This is fantastic advice. Alienware is a waste of money that you could be spending on better specs. They put a lot of money into their logo, and all their stupid blinky light bullshit. [opinions]Computers should have at most 3 external lights. one for the power button, one on the CD tray, and one where the ethernet cable connects. Other lights serve no purpose.[/opinions]

This is fantastic advice. Alienware is a waste of money that you could be spending on better specs. They put a lot of money into their logo, and all their stupid blinky light bullshit. [opinions]Computers should have at most 3 external lights. one for the power button, one on the CD tray, and one where the ethernet cable connects. Other lights serve no purpose.[/opinions]

As a nocturnal person, I think a lighten up keyboard is must. But all the color changing stuff on Alienware computers is not only a waste of cash, but also a waste of energy, as well as a source of heat. A small one, but one still.

I found a local store where they build pc's with the specs you prefer for a nice price, if you like custom built, go to the website of a brand and assemble one yourself, I got me a gtx 460, 8 gigs ram, intel core i5 2400 for about 1000 euro's

Which is great because I bought it a few years ago

• Moderators

I use Asus currently. A N73J with Bang & olufsen audio and 17.3 inch screen. Had it for 2 years now, works like a charm. Can't remember what the price tag was...

I did look at alienware before, as it topped the search on "gaming laptops" on google. But changed my mind after reading this forum.

thanks for all the sugestions guys. As for the price range i want the most bang for my buck obviously. Money isnt really a problem as long as it isnt something extravagant like $2,000

Then I'll go ahead and recommend you this laptop, that is the one I own right now. This beast got awesome specs all around, in particular an excellent video card, I love it. I got it a 4GB RAM upgrade to host a server but it's still epic by default.

http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16834230405CVF

lol dell are crap. and im using one now it use to have 4 gigs of ram factory stocked then my nephew broke my mother board and cracked it then i lost my video-card ( went out ) what i am saying is dell not worth the time, im still fixing my java script iv tryed almost every thing. from some youtube videos, to google serce/ redownloading java 4 time allredy, just geting sick of a pc that wont event run minecraft. but yet it plays wow just fine 0% lag or any other game for that matter just my minecraft lags and super slow

What baffles me is that you are blaming Dell for other internal parts breaking.

Well, to be honest... Dell isn't really the most reliable you can find. I know from personal experience that their support sucks. Hard. In Canada at least.

And don't forget that alienware is a franchise possessed by Dell. Personally, I think Toshiba, iBUYPOWER, heck even HP or Lenovo are better options. Dell is more interesting if you just want a computer to make text work, watch media, browse the Internet, but their gaming computers aren't the best.

Well, to be honest... Dell isn't really the most reliable you can find. I know from personal experience that their support sucks. Hard. In Canada at least.

And don't forget that alienware is a franchise possessed by Dell. Personally, I think Toshiba, iBUYPOWER, heck even HP or Lenovo are better options. Dell is more interesting if you just want a computer to make text work, watch media, browse the Internet, but their gaming computers aren't the best.

iBuyPower is only good if you have a bunch of cash to blow. Their low end and mid range machines all feel really shoddy in my experience.

Lenovo seems to be really good at low end. Their cheapest machines still feel like good work and are sturdy, but their higher end stuff never seems very impressive.

Toshiba is pretty much always great.

HP is hit and miss all across the board.

As for Dell, i agree that they aren't a great manufacturer, but the fact that some guys nephew busted a motherboard isn't what makes them bad.

I prefer HP, yes their laptops aren't their main product, but for their prices, they make a decent computer. I suggest this laptop, from the research I've done, this is a good laptop for the price.

http://www.shopping.hp.com/en_US/home-office/-/products/Laptops/HP-Pavilion/A3G47AV?HP-Pavilion-dv7t-7000-Quad-Edition-Entertainment-Notebook-PC

I also think they are having a labor day sale, and you could qualify for an XBox. They also allow semi-customization, so you could change out the ram/graphics card/HHD/etc.

Good thing I built my own computer so I don't have to deal with the pussy-fied integrated graphics cards and pre-installed crap like Norton.

To be honest, it isn't hard to find a pre-built laptop with a decent video card, and good companies don't give you crap like pre-installed software. I know for sure that ASUS doesn't.