Is Tekkit Dead?

Ashiataka

I assume the issue is because the dev team focused on Technic instead for a while, and we're not seeing anything now because Minecraft 1.3 shook everything up, so all the mods have to be updated and assembled before work can begin on the next Tekkit. Which we may not even need anymore, due to the fact that Minecraft's code base no longer differentiates between single and multiplayer.

We probably don't. Chances are it'll be replaced with a new, completely multiplayer Technicpack.

No no no, I mean, why do we need tekkit OR technic anymore? As of 1.3 maybe. But after 1.4, if everybody is using the new API instead of modifying class files directly, then all mods will be compatible automatically, and you can just install whatever you want on your server, without the client having to do anything, or you doing any complicated compatibility stuff.

Which makes this entire site and project obsolete.

Last time i checked that's exactly what forge mod loader does.

It's an api, lets you mod without modifying class files and makes all mods compatible. (except for block id's, but that's not going to change, or is it?)

The whole point of tekkit is for people to have a common set of mods that work on multiple servers.

Even if it was simple as pie to have whatever mods you want people would still want a common standard.

@theprolo But the big question is, will it be called technic or tekkit? :)

Thanks. I hope it does continue.

I know it's annoying for people to ask for updates and for timescales but it's difficult to find the information out. No news updates for over a month and the forums are a mess. Is there a thread regarding this kind of stuff on the forums somewhere? If there is I can't find it. If not, perhaps there should be. Surely it can't be too difficult to post a "Still working on it" once a week?

I know it's annoying for people to ask for updates and for timescales... Is there a thread regarding this kind of stuff on the forums somewhere? If there is I can't find it.

Uh... Yeah... this one is really tricky to find. Here I will help you out. Try checking the first topic of the forum, then the first thread in that topic.

A map may help you: forum > Global Rules > Board Rules and Guidelines > 6th bullet point.

No asking for ETA's - We are tired of these questions. Updates depend on lots of different things and they happen when they happen.

If that is still too confusing for you to find on the forums here is the direct link.

http://forums.technicpack.net/threads/board-rules-and-guidelines.3918/

No no no, I mean, why do we need tekkit OR technic anymore? As of 1.3 maybe. But after 1.4, if everybody is using the new API instead of modifying class files directly, then all mods will be compatible automatically, and you can just install whatever you want on your server, without the client having to do anything, or you doing any complicated compatibility stuff.

Which makes this entire site and project obsolete.

1) if you have enough faith in what mojang puts together that you think their API will cover everything every modder needs, that's a bit naive.

2) No matter how good their API is, it won't fix things like mod clashes when the same thing is being changed.

3) as mentioned by someone else, standardization is a major draw for modpacks, which the API can't provide.

I didn't ask for an 'ETA'.

Do you have any siblings? Do you know that thing that they invariably do where they want something and say "Gee, it would sure be awesome if [thing] happened." or "I wonder when [thing] is going to happen"

They aren't questions, so they aren't asking you for something, but they are being irritating and trying to convince you that [thing] should happen.

I know it's annoying for people to ask for updates and for timescales but it's difficult to find the information out. No news updates for over a month and the forums are a mess. Is there a thread regarding this kind of stuff on the forums somewhere? If there is I can't find it. If not, perhaps there should be. Surely it can't be too difficult to post a "Still working on it" once a week?

1) Whether or not its difficult to post a "Still working on it," it has been said time and time again that that wont happen.

2) It is important to realize that the devs here don't make or update any of the mods. Therefore they cant do anything at all to hurry up the update process.

3) For the last update(to MC 1.2.5) someone made a thread where he kept track of the update status of all the mods. I have stated that i will create and maintain such a thread once CraftBukkit updates.

4) This is the biggest one, the tekkit server is a CraftBukkit server. No one can port their mods to CraftBukkit until it is updated for 1.3.2. Here's the website for CraftBukkit if you want to watch for the update. http://mcportcentral.co.za/

5) As Jay? pointed out, any oblique mention of wondering when an update is can be taken as an ETA request. Its better to just accept that it will happen when it happens and wait it out.

I do have a sibling.

Yes it is annoying to keep being asked something. But, at the same time it is also annoying to not be told anything. I don't think it's unreasonable to ask if the development is still going on when the developing team have (as far as I can see) been silent for a month and a half.

As I said, it doesn't take much to post a quick message every so often to just say "We're working on it.", or "We're having a break for a month, but we'll be back." etc.

5) As Jay? pointed out, any oblique mention of wondering when an update is can be taken as an ETA request. Its better to just accept that it will happen when it happens and wait it out.

That is true. But I did not mention anything at all about an update. I asked whether Tekkit development is still happening or not, and if anyone knew about it.

I'm going to guess you posted that before you read my response.

There are 2 important things that few people seem to realize about tekkit.

The first is point 2 in my above post.

The second is that the tekkit team is doing all of this out of the goodness of their hearts.

They don't owe anybody anything. If they want to go a month between posts on the front page, that's completely up to them.

In my opinion, since they do all this work without any compensation, they at least deserve the respect of following the simple rules on their forums.

Why not just look at the main page, if its still on 3.1.2 tekkit, assume by default the answer is "We're working on it."

As giving a timeline is impossible, and if its not listed on the main site as being new, it falls back to the knowledge that they are still working on it.

Unless you are asking out of uncertainty on if they are still working on it..and if thats the case, Im PRETTY sure they would make THAT announcement.."We aren't doing tekkit anymore"

All posting a non-specific answer such as ""We're working on it." will do is prompt people to go "oh they are talking about it, and therefor its ok to ask questions..sooo they will question "When will it be done?"..

I don't understand what you think "it's not ready yet" popping up every week will accomplish.

If the devs quit, you can bet that they'll say it out loud, publicly, and at the very least tell a few people to piss off. Unless that happens there's no reason to think that development has stopped.

It'll be ready when it's ready, and when it's ready, it'll be released. Any more information than that is just mindless chatter.