Fortress

Guest Ysharma

Guest Ysharma

I am trying to secure a base, and make it inaccessible unless given permission. I have forcefields to restrain people with lower end technology, but all it takes is an ender eye to teleport through. I am planning on putting a quantum killer machine like gavjenks, but it will not cover upper towers which can be breached by nether portals. Could you list fortifications to use? Also please point out weaknesses. IC2 power is of no issue, as i am pumping nearly infinite amounts of lava cells with a redpower setup from the nether. Resources are not a problem either so most suggestions should be possible.

I'd say that the first question is: why are you trying to secure the base? Then the second: who are you trying to secure it against? When you have these planned, you can start planning specifically against them.

In my opinion, the best defense is to hide it in the first place - but you mentioned towers, so that's probably not an option for you.

Bear in mind that unless you have admin powers, any defense can be overcome: the only question is how difficult it will be for the attacker. The best you can do is to make it so difficult that all but the most dedicated attacker would be stopped by your defences: since you said that neither IC2 power nor resources are an issue for you, I'd suggest going for overkill. For example, multiple layers of forcefields with dozens of tesla coils in-between. Or nukes.

Just remember: your whole fortress will be as secure as the setup you have in the Nether. After all, if the attacker shuts that down, your power will run out sooner or later. You could wire up a backup power system that would kick in if that happens though: nuclear reactors should do the trick nicely.

i am pumping nearly infinite amounts of lava cells with a redpower setup from the nether.

Oh, that's you? That's another HUGE vulnerability. The location of your pump station is blatantly obvious (its in the middle of the massive diamond of missing lava in the lake). Took me 5 seconds to find when I went there, and if anybody simply breaks a few pipes or whatever, it will no longer deliver lava. Then they simply wait, and your force fields stop working (you'd probably burn through all your MFSUs in a few hours)

You can't use any external power source if you expect to be secure.

Plus ender pearls. I have no known way to protect against these, other than perhaps electrocution, which is not realistic for a field the size of a huge castle.

Plus nether portals. I see no way for you to solve this at all. Other than perhaps PRECISELY calculating down to a single block where the corresponding area is in the nether (at 8:1), and making a sky to bedrock force field there too.

Plus the fact that your portal is blocked by the ground all the way around. Explosions can transfer through ground before the shield comes back up, so if anybody buries a nuke a few blocks underground right outside your force field, it will probably wipe out the deflector. You would have to use block cutters and make sure the entire length of your field is visible / overlapping air only with no gaps to prevent this.

Plus hacking whatever method you use to get in yourself.

If resources aren't a problem then surely a stable and automated CASUC inside your castle would be a better option than an external power supply? Much like real reactors, they're only a threat if you build them wrong, and even then. A reactor forcefield should prevent any damage to other systems, with possibly a backup generator set up.

Oh also another major vulnerability: You are currently building this thing right in front of everybody on your server. That is really bad. If we know that you're building it, then we have an incentive to build back doors into your system.

For example, somebody might hide a teleporter in your walls, to use later, when you're done. Or somebody might turn off your field, then go dig to where it would intersect underground, and place a couple of miniblocks there. Cutter upgrades don't break miniblocks, and the tiniest ones won't be spotted easily by any visual inspection. So even if you finish your field later, and apply cutters, there will be a 2x1 doorway of no forcefield still there underground in the middle of your wall, that the person can just walk right through whenever they want. Once they build it, they turn the field back on again, so you don't even know about it.

To prevent this, you need to begin and complete a force field project before anybody knows about it. Or do an extremely thorough visual inspection of every single block of it, and rip your base apart to find any bugs.

Ysharma, I told you we are not building a forcefield around the castle. If you didn't go around knocking peoples torches off the walls of their base, or stealing uu-matter and lv solars, we wouldn't have to worry about people stealing from us. You guys seem to forget that it is my castle you are screwing around with, not yours.

Guest Ysharma

@greenwolf

im planning on moving to a small estate that ill build rather than living in the quantum shack. I was just testing defensive items on the castle.

Guest Ysharma

if you place a few iris equiped portals that should prevent other portals from spawning in your base

Iris equiped portals? is that an item or is it a formation of blocks? All I know is that they are from sg1

Apart from a completely hidden base I think the best you could do is use the layered forcefield AND the bc filler. The nether is still a problem but the forcefield can go straight through the buildcraft pump pipes without inhibiting the flow of lava. So if you set up the same multilayer forcefield around your nether pump you should be able to prevent the most obvious ways of entrance.

I'm not sure moving the station would help. If you're base is visible then can just take the coordinates of the castle and of their base, do the necessary math(I can't remember if distance in the nether is 8 or 10x the overworld). and set up a portal in the nether to lead to your base. I think there are a few pages on this forum about CASUCs.

• 1 month later...