Possible to break bedrock in tekkit, apparently

gavjenks

Pretty simple, as it turns out. There are probably other ways besides this. I just stumbled upon it as like... the second thing I tried:

M

F F F

P

v Bd

??

M = frame motor

F = frame

P = STICKY piston (pointed down here)

v = the extension of the piston (start out with it being powered on/extended)

Bd = bedrock

?? = any normal block like stone

Simply charge the frame motor and push the frames to the right. The extension arm of the piston will plow through the bedrock, destroying it... sometimes (inconsistent). If this doesn't work immediately, though, you can still destroy the bedrock. Just cycle the power a couple times to the sticky piston, and it will somehow reach through the bedrock and pull that normal stone block on the other side, back into the bedrock, and destroy it THAT way.

Unfortunately, this does not allow you to break into the void in the normal overworld (since you can't get to the side of any of the blocks at level 1). Well actually, if you push the piston extension-first down into the bedrock, it might work. Haven't tested that.

But it does work for other stuff. Like, for instance, deleting those annoying single floating pieces of bedrock above the obsidian pillars in the End (I'm building a base there, and destroyed all the obsidian, but the bedrock bits are visually distracting).

Edit: It does NOT in fact work to move the extended arm forward into bedrock. Must rake in from the side.

You can build above the roof of the nether quite fine(ignoring the bedrock barrier), then it will be a heck of a lot harder to get to somebody's base.

Ah. But you will need a hole somewhere in the roof to begin with, because you need to have the side of the extension move into the bedrock. If it is a solid sheet, then there's nowhere to get started.

Note: I don't actually know what the bedrock looks like at the top of the nether. If it is swoopy, then you could break through. If there is one level that is pure bedrock, though (like level 1 in the overworld), then this will not allow you to break through.

I will continue investigating other ways, however, of breaking bedrock.

Ah. But you will need a hole somewhere in the roof to begin with, because you need to have the side of the extension move into the bedrock. If it is a solid sheet, then there's nowhere to get started.

Note: I don't actually know what the bedrock looks like at the top of the nether. If it is swoopy, then you could break through. If there is one level that is pure bedrock, though (like level 1 in the overworld), then this will not allow you to break through.

I will continue investigating other ways, however, of breaking bedrock.

With a bit of playing I may be able to "improve" on the design. I'll give it a go when I have some spare time.

Okay! I figured out how to break into a flat sheet of bedrock, thus allowing you to breach the void or the area above the nether!

I will lay it out in images:

HIhbJ.png

First, the piston is extended so it touches the floor, and is next to where a force field projects. (I turned the force field on then off again. it projects just to the leftish of the piston).

AIJ3Q.png

The force field block makes the extension disappear, for some reason. Might also work if the force field is on at first, but you will have to turn it off anyway for the next step, where you push the piston down:

PZxrt.png

piston is now extension-less and touching the bedrock directly. Now just remove the torch next to it, and it will "retract" its invisible arm, destroying the bedrock underneath:

n2QiC.png

Now just break the piston and frames, and voila!:

7UD6Z.png

PFZ8J.png

You can now build a much simpler version like the one in the OP, in order to expand that hole with pistons moving sideways.

Note: the work area I have cut out here with worldedit, but you could do it using the sideways pistons as well, since there are SOME holes in y=2 to hook into with the method outlined in the OP.

For extra kicks and giggles:

Do this in the top of the nether, then build a force field blocking the hole from above. The ender pearls and crap won't work, I dont think, going upward, so unless somebody else knows and uses this same method, you should have an impenetrable gate to the above-nether, just for you.

EXTRA BONUS kicks and giggles:

Do this in the overworld, then cut a larger hole, like 4x4 or so. Then place a teleporter with a pressure plate on top of it above the void. Make another teleporter teleport to that one. When the person hits the pressure plate, a block breaker breaks the teleporter block, waits for about 1 second on delay, and then activates a force field that fills in your hole in the bedrock.

Result: Somebody is walking innocently down a hallway. They suddenly get teleported to a dark hole in the ground, and before they know what happened, the floor gives out beneath them, and they plummet into the void, with a force field blocking off the hole they just fell through.

That person is now stuck underneath the bedrock layer, with no way to get out. Even if they have quantum armor or a flying ring, they will eventually run out of fuel and fall, taking damage until their suit runs out and they die. More likely, they will give up and stop flying/commit suicide before then.

BAM! Came up with TWO affordable, practical ways to kill somebody in full quantum armor, in less than like 2 weeks. =D

Guest Ysharma

does it drop the block? and for killing them couldnt they log out, have someone dig down and disable the forcefield, log back in and fly through?

does it drop the block? and for killing them couldnt they log out, have someone dig down and disable the forcefield, log back in and fly through?

That is very complicated to do. I would just accept that i was beaten and give gav a high five

Guest Ysharma

That is very complicated to do. I would just accept that i was beaten and give gav a high five

Not really you get stuck down there you log out, pm me with coords I dig down there, careful not to get stuck, i deactivate forcefield and teleporter, pm you and we fly away together.

It unfortunately does not drop a block. It seems to be breaking bedrock due to internal server confusion over whether that space is occupied by the piston extension or the bedrock. Thus, it gets destroyed by the game being tricked into overwriting that data, so it doesn't drop anything (doesn't know it ever existed anymore)

Keep in mind though, that once you have a way to destroy bedrock, it wouldnt be so useful anyway to get it as a drop, because wherever you place it, somebody else could just break it again.

It unfortunately does not drop a block. It seems to be breaking bedrock due to internal server confusion over whether that space is occupied by the piston extension or the bedrock. Thus, it gets destroyed by the game being tricked into overwriting that data, so it doesn't drop anything (doesn't know it ever existed anymore)

So theoretically, you could do this with any block, not just bedrock? Using this, you could break personal safes, ender portals, and anything else that is indestructible through conventional means.

• 4 weeks later...