Intergrations

MistressSaiya

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Wasn't it Activision that split off to make sure that the people who made the games got fair and proper treatment? EA's original thing was "we're not making toys, we're breaking ground in a new medium."

I don't believe so, if I remember correctly:

1) Activision pioneered the idea of "making games without making the console". At the time, the only games for the Atari were made by... Atari! So Activision was formed under the novel premise of "hey we don't make the Atari console but we're going to release games for it". If this hadn't been set a precedent in the Supreme Court then the only Wii games would be published by Nintendo, the only PS3 games by Sony, and the only Xbox360 games by Microsoft.

2) EA was later formed because the developers at Atari (unsure about Activision, probably as well) because developers were told "hey make a game but you get no credit", which was a problem if, say, an Atari game developer wanted to move into a "real" software job. He had no proof he made the game. So EA was like "Eff this, we're gonna make games be a work of art and give our developers proper credit!" and they became the world's first geek-hipster crossovers. And promptly sold their souls.

EA morphed into a bad company. The reason why is that they fell victim to the classic investor threat of "make something that won't break the mold so it sells well, or we will stop giving you money." That threat has destroyed many good game companies.

On another note, if anyone ever rewrites Better Than Wolves to not suck, they should call it By The Way.

i am going to do that. i was already planning to make an awesomeified version of better than wolves once the modding API came out, and that will be it's title. i will make it with technic compatibility in mind, too.

i am going to do that. i was already planning to make an awesomeified version of better than wolves once the modding API came out, and that will be it's title. i will make it with technic compatibility in mind, too.

You're waiting for the modding API? I was hoping you'd have it done before I die of old age.

Personally I think EA fell into the trap that so many software companies do of letting the marketers and lawyers control the direction of the company rather than the creatives (and see also, Bill Hicks on marketing people). They probably also hired executives based on the amount of money their previous company made while they were in charge, rather than how much they knew about publishing, art, video games, or making software. I don't know either of these things for sure, but when a software company goes from good to shit (or shit to shittier) this is almost invariably the cause. It generally revolves around making an IPO and thus ending up with essentially anonymous shareholders getting the right to influence the company. Since most of those people are fucktards with a little money and zero understanding of *any* of the companies they hold shares in other than what the charts say about them, they tend toward demanding predictability, consistency, and constant measurable increases in performance - all of which are pure poison for creative work.

Just as an example (disclaimer: not an apple fanboi) look what happened to Apple between the time they kicked out Steve Jobs and the time that they hired him back again. Running a company that relies on constant innovation takes passion, creativity, a strong personality and a clear vision, not metrics and focus groups and patent holdings and legalese.

Anyway as far as BTW, I admit some of the stuff in there looks cool (windmills! waterwheels! elevators!) but I'd rather jump off a cliff than allow some jackass' code to run on my hardware. It'd be hilarious for someone to duplicate those features in another mod and then open-source them. Not that I'm volunteering - I loathe Java.