Why do we still play this?

Munaus

• Moderators

So in a few recent attempts I have tried to lure 2 people into this amazing block-building game, but to no avail...

First attempt was my brother; whom I showed a video of FyreUk. His response:

"People actually waste their time playing with lego? Instead of custom-building cars (my family is car fanatics), hitting the pub to get wasted and chasing girls they play around with blocks?? yea lol no thanks... I'm grown up now."

Excuse me, any moderator who can borrow his/hers banhammer so I can smack my ignorant brothers head?

It's infuriating! My brother happens to be a educated housebuilder... I've seen his architecturing... I can only imagine what his mind could put into minecraft... but no :(

The second attempt was my best friend; you know that best friend whom you share thoughts and feelings and whom you spend most time with?

His response after seeing the same FyreUk video:

"So, essentially, the game is about gathering stuff to make more stuff? And build houses. Is there nothing to DO on this game?"

I got stuck at that.. He was right, why do we actually play this game? Why do we keep coming back, despite cooler games like Skyrim, Battlefield, Assassins' Creed etc.

Why? Heck if I have an answer to that anymore, I quit MC a time ago. (my friend even pointed that on me!)

But then I remembered, there is an entire forum here filled with people still modding, supporting and chatting about this game.

Why do YOU still play this game?

What enjoyment (ignoring the drama behind-the-scenes) do you still get out of this game?

PLEASE tell, so I can show this to my friend why we still love Minecraft!

So in a few recent attempts I have tried to lure 2 people into this amazing block-building game, but to no avail...

First attempt was my brother; whom I showed a video of FyreUk. His response:

"People actually waste their time playing with lego? Instead of custom-building cars (my family is car fanatics), hitting the pub to get wasted and chasing girls they play around with blocks?? yea lol no thanks... I'm grown up now."

Excuse me, any moderator who can borrow his/hers banhammer so I can smack my ignorant brothers head?

It's infuriating! My brother happens to be a educated housebuilder... I've seen his architecturing... I can only imagine what his mind could put into minecraft... but no :(

The second attempt was my best friend; you know that best friend whom you share thoughts and feelings and whom you spend most time with?

His response after seeing the same FyreUk video:

"So, essentially, the game is about gathering stuff to make more stuff? And build houses. Is there nothing to DO on this game?"

I got stuck at that.. He was right, why do we actually play this game? Why do we keep coming back, despite cooler games like Skyrim, Battlefield, Assassins' Creed etc.

Why? Heck if I have an answer to that anymore, I quit MC a time ago. (my friend even pointed that on me!)

But then I remembered, there is an entire forum here filled with people still modding, supporting and chatting about this game.

Why do YOU still play this game?

What enjoyment (ignoring the drama behind-the-scenes) do you still get out of this game?

PLEASE tell, so I can show this to my friend why we still love Minecraft!

Mods. Every time I get bored with what content I have, there's something out there that has something completely new. That and my parents recently banned me from game with first person violence.

• Moderators

Well, to be honest, if I too had to listen to this horrible tech-ish music for a quarter of an hour, I would probably have difficulty to be optimistic about anything.

You mean the music that FyreUk used? I've grown quite fond to it, it fits.

Nevertheless.. besides hanging around this wonderful community, why do you still play the game, blobfish?

I haven't really played Minecraft much in the past 4 months or so, but I know that I enjoy the mining aspect of it, as well as building crazy/average machines to do stuff for me. Like with my 7.0.1 world, I created my first Logistics pipes auto sorting system, and then added an auto crafting system onto it. I never really delved too deeply into every mod, but I was planning on doing more. Then I remembered how important backing up saves is, and basically rage quit from the world after I lost anything that was in a chest from Iron Chests. Still have that world though. But I digress. Its the, well, mining and the crafting that keeps me coming back. Hopefully I'll commit more time to my 1.4.6 world though, as I'd really like to get into more stuff.

I play minecraft because you almost always have something to do in it.

I think " I need just 2 more copper for this macerator!" wich makes you dig and find everything ever ( I found 11 diamonds while looking for 8 iron) and when you make the macerator you think what to do next.

And there are the times where I just open a superflat world on creative and decide to make a password lock for a door using redpower logic and wiring. Or frame airplanes with a computirized control.

I play it for a bunch of different reasons. I like the fact that you have to actually gear up and prepare just to go get an item so you can build something (like getting a nether star for the portal gun). Sometimes I throw it in creative and build something pretty just cuz I can. It's the sandbox nature of the game.