TF2: how to make my parents give it back?

andrewdonshik

No one should be trying to tell you how to manipulate your parents. I'm assuming you're under 18, and still legally (and likely mentally) dependant on them, so they have every right to parent you in the way they want, assuming it doesn't cause obvious harm to your well being. Asking for strangers to help you come up with arguments is disrespectful at best. Maybe just be an adult, sit down and have a conversation with them, and use your own words. And if you can't think of any good reasons why they should let you have it back, then maybe they're right to begin with.

My dad was a keen gamer up until the point when I started playing them myself :D

He was very restrictive, but he knew what he was on about. Certain games really have a chance to scar you if you're too young to play them.

It seems ridiculous to anyone reading it, but really think about the effects a game like say Silent Hill 2 would have as you lower the age down from 13.

But TF2? I know there's a lot of gibs, but this seems somewhat convoluted given the art style...

Have you got family coming around? Ya know, the sort that "will not approve"?

My dad was a keen gamer up until the point when I started playing them myself :D

He was very restrictive, but he knew what he was on about. Certain games really have a chance to scar you if you're too young to play them.

It seems ridiculous to anyone reading it, but really think about the effects a game like say Silent Hill 2 would have as you lower the age down from 13.

But TF2? I know there's a lot of gibs, but this seems somewhat convoluted given the art style...

Have you got family coming around? Ya know, the sort that "will not approve"?

Nope. Also, even after explaining the whole 'strategy' element, for whatever reason they're convinced it's a murder game.

Buy Postal, get them mad, then play Syberia 1 and 2 (They're great games, and make you warm and fuzzy playing them) then go back to TF2 once you've completed them. They should be totally cool with it then.

Exactly how should I buy them, it's not like I have a credit card or anything.. (And yes, I caught the sarcasm)

Funny, I thought people kill people, not guns kill people. You can take the gun away from some gangsta punk, and they'll still beat you up with a baseball bat.

Just point out that it's really a hat simulator and that those "guns" actually fire hugs and love. (Just make sure you turn on Pyrovision from here on out.)

Funny, I thought people kill people, not guns kill people. You can take the gun away from some gangsta punk, and they'll still beat you up with a baseball bat.

Just point out that it's really a hat simulator and that those "guns" actually fire hugs and love. (Just make sure you turn on Pyrovision from here on out.)

Already tried that.. I don't freaking understand. I should probably point the people kill people it, though.

You will not win an argument with your parents. Stop trying. Play something else and show them that you're not actually a spoiled child. Demonstrate some maturity. It might just get you your game back, eventually. Plus it'll be great for building character. Arguing will simply make it worse.

"Nightmare Ned" man... fucking "Nightmare Ned". *shivers*

Well, this is a possibility:

http://gamebanana.com/skins/89389

The mod replaces the blood and gore with that of the (heavily censored) German version. Blood is either oil or sparks, doesn't stick to surfaces, and gibs are replaced with random crap like gears, springs, rubber ducks, and cheeseburgers. Does not remove blood from some later weapon models, but it may be enough. (Does not work on all servers, some disable custom textures) Installation instructions are on the download page.

It shouldn't trigger VAC as far as i know, but do a bit of research beforehand just in case.

Well, this is a possibility:

http://gamebanana.com/skins/89389

The mod replaces the blood and gore with that of the (heavily censored) German version. Blood is either oil or sparks, doesn't stick to surfaces, and gibs are replaced with random crap like gears, springs, rubber ducks, and cheeseburgers. Does not remove blood from some later weapon models, but it may be enough. (Does not work on all servers, some disable custom textures) Installation instructions are on the download page.

It shouldn't trigger VAC as far as i know, but do a bit of research beforehand just in case.

I think the problem here is the guns rather than the actual violence. I remember, back when I was twelve years old, my parents were too misinformed, worried people. They refused to let me buy Halo for about six months, even though it barely has any blood, and no gore at all.

One thing to remember Andrew, your parents only do this for your good. Of course, they're wrong, but hey have good intentions, so don't hold a grudge agains't them. It isn't even really their fault, it's literally the whole society and mainstream media that conditioned them to find an easy scapegoat for this kind of violence. You could be worse : You could have been born in a redneck family that taught you to shoot on anyone who put a foot on your grass.

What you should do now, THAT is more complicated. Mine eventually came to their senses after the sus-mentioned six months of explaining, fact checking, and showing the sensible and mature person I was. I guess you should do the same, and keep practicing your FPS skills at friend's home until then.

I think the problem here is the guns rather than the actual violence. I remember, back when I was twelve years old, my parents were too misinformed, worried people. They refused to let me buy Halo for about six months, even though it barely has any blood, and no gore at all.

One thing to remember Andrew, your parents only do this for your good. Of course, they're wrong, but hey have good intentions, so don't hold a grudge agains't them. It isn't even really their fault, it's literally the whole society and mainstream media that conditioned them to find an easy scapegoat for this kind of violence. You could be worse : You could have been born in a redneck family that taught you to shoot on anyone who put a foot on your grass.

What you should do now, THAT is more complicated. Mine eventually came to their senses after the sus-mentioned six months of explaining, fact checking, and showing the sensible and mature person I was. I guess you should do the same, and keep practicing your FPS skills at friend's home until then.

Doesn't help that I.. well.. frustrate easily. (Understatement.) I'll figure it out in a week or so when they, well, stop being mad at me. Thankfully, they think garry's mod is fine. And, yea, it's the guns/violence, not the blood/gore.

Doesn't help that I.. well.. frustrate easily. (Understatement.) I'll figure it out in a week or so when they, well, stop being mad at me. Thankfully, they think garry's mod is fine. And, yea, it's the guns/violence, not the blood/gore.

Seeing as they think garrys mod is fine, why not play something else thats fun, showing them you don't even need TF2. It might not get your game back but at least you'll stop complaining and they might feel more inclined to listen to your reasons later on. Works very well for me. Just don't make a big deal out of it.