MAC USERS! IMPORTANT FIX! HELLO CRASH PROBLEM.

Cheap Shot

Question

YRZ3q.png

To all MAC users, good news! You may have encountered an issue while trying to download Voltz, Technic dev builds, or the new Tekkit Lite Pack. You would either get to a screen that says "Hello" and download would fail, or it would fail instantly sometimes in the case of Lite. After much work looking into the problem we determined it was related to macs and running FML. We were able to come up with a solution and it is now available.

FOR EVERYONE USING A MAC. Please back up your saves and texture packs and DELETE YOUR TECHNICLAUNCHER folder.

For mac users that folder is located here:

Users/"User Name"/Library/Application Support/techniclauncher

If you have any other trouble doing this, more information is available in the common problems and solutions threads or other places on the forums.

Next you'll want to go to www.technicpack.net and redownload the launcher. DO NOT use the .exe version, it will not work for mac users obviously.

If you have deleted your techniclauncher folder, running the newly downloaded .jar will put a fresh folder in its place.

CONGRATULATIONS! You are now able to play everything! If you have any further issues, they are with your computer. The community can trouble shoot your computers settings to make sure you have things properly set up on your end such as java. Only if you ask nice and aren't lazy though. Thank you to all mac users who helped solve the issue by posting logs and submitting proper bug reports.

• Answers 176
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Hey, I'm extremely new here (joined less than an hour ago), and I'm having a similar problem to some others. I'd post my logs into the bug section, but I'm not aware of how to do that. By the way, I appreciate the fix and all the hard work you guys put into it. I only began having trouble when I installed Voltz and Lite, before that everything was a breeze. I really enjoy these mods. :)

Same problem, OSX 10.7, reinstalling tekkit launcher does not help. I'm running the latest Java, which vanilla minecraft has no problem with.

Going to try rolling back the Java version.

A good place to start yeah. Hopefully finding a JVM that plays nice can help some people out. I'll post what version I'm on when I have time tonight and it might be a good starting point since I have no issues.

It's worth it to keep in mind that we're currently developing a new launcher to replace the current one entirely. Might not effect these kinds of java specific problems but who knows I am just an artist.

The "fix" didn't work for me either. Luckily I have a bootcamp on my mac and am still able to play but I know that not everyone can run a bootcamp due to aging computers so this error really sucks.

I already do but still would rather run on OSX plus have friends who can't get on my server because of the problem

What I've been trying to do now is taking the mod list and trying to install them all manually. I've got about 2/3 of them working. I started with a clean MC install and using Forge MCL and going down the list one by one and testing it. Most work, some make MC crash. What I wonder is can a client not running all the mods log in to a Tekkit server?

I've also tried other launchers (FTB) and have gotten the same issue; after login crash after initial splash page. So this isn't just a Technic Launcher issue, it's something else to do with OS X and Java. But clean and lightly modded clients do run. I'm confused!

Hi im on Linux/Debian and i am having the same problem as you have described in paragraph two.

plz help people

i need java 7 though... I have more than just tekkit to run on my computer

You can force the use of Java 6 just for the Technic Launcher, if you have it installed. I use the following script (saved as a .command file) to get it running:

#!/bin/zsh

cd "${0:h}"

export JAVA_HOME=/System/Library/Java/JavaVirtualMachines/1.6.0.jdk/Contents/Home

java -jar ./technic-launcher.jar

Paste the script into a plain text document (in Textedit, use shift-command-T to enter plain text mode) and save it with the extension ".command". Put it in the same folder as technic-launcher.jar. You need to mark it as executable first using Terminal:

chmod +x /path/to/script.command

Then you can double-click it to start the Launcher. So far, using Java 6 is the only solution that's worked for me.

You can force the use of Java 6 just for the Technic Launcher, if you have it installed. I use the following script (saved as a .command file) to get it running:

#!/bin/bash

cd `dirname $0`

export JAVA_HOME=/System/Library/Java/JavaVirtualMachines/1.6.0.jdk/Contents/Home

Put it in the same folder as technic-launcher.jar. You need to mark it as executable first using Terminal:

Then you can double-click it to start the Launcher. So far, using Java 6 is the only solution that's worked for me.

I did that but it stoped working when I got the new technic launcher

#!/bin/bash

cd `dirname $0`

Put it in the same folder as technic-launcher.jar. You need to mark it as executable first using Terminal:

I can confirm that the above fix posted by Diah DOES work. However I did have one small issue applying the fix. When copying and pasting from the "code" sections into textedit on my Mac the text kept a grey background which messed up the .commad script. Easy fix just simply go Format>Make Plain Text and he save the file, change from .txt to .command and chmod like in Diah's example.

It's been pointed out to me that the script I posted above doesn't work if technic-launcher.jar is in a folder with certain characters in the filename (like spaces). I've updated the post above with a version that should.

I can confirm that the above fix posted by Diah DOES work. However I did have one small issue applying the fix. When copying and pasting from the "code" sections into textedit on my Mac the text kept a grey background which messed up the .commad script. Easy fix just simply go Format>Make Plain Text and he save the file, change from .txt to .command and chmod like in Diah's example.

Good thinking, I added this too.

No I don't and I will not make an update for this so you are stuck on 0.5.2. If it worked for you great I'm glad I could help.

Use this tutorial how to do it yourself:

1: Download both MultiMC and the modpack you want (I tested Tekkit Lite and TechnicSSP)

2: Start an run an instance in MultiMC that's the same version as your modpack.

3: Copy all folders EXCEPT bin folder from modpack to MultiMC instance folder.

4: Copy modpack.jar from modpack bin to MultiMC instance instmods folder.

5: Open MultiMC, right-click your instance and click edit mods.

6: In minecraft.jar tab, click add and browse to multimc instance instmods folder (select modpack.jar)

7: Close mods window, right click on instance in multimc and click rebuild jar

8: Install mods you want (like gregtech) into multimc instance like normal.

I DON'T ENDORSE THIS. PROCEED AT YOUR OWN RISK. I'M NOT RESPONSIBLE.

I've discovered a launching issue that may be at the source of so many people's problems. If you place the launcher in the /Applications directory (Like you should with pretty much all other apps), Logistics Pipes would try to place a log file in the same directory, which is forbidden without permissions. The log file is called LogisticsPipes-Request.log. I've just upgraded to Tekkit Lite version 0.5.7, and this no longer causes any problems for me.

I feel as though the problem is not fixed or there is a different problem that is equally severe plaguing the community.

Im a mac user w/ latest OS. I have tried everything applicable on the common problems page, and the launcher still wont work.

The Youtube link that Goizzo shared above is the identical to the problem that I have. Here is the log from the launcher too. I'm not sure how to interpret it so any help that anyone can offer would be great! thanks!

Log:

[18:59:14] [sEVERE]------------------------------------------

[18:59:14] [sEVERE]Launcher is starting....

[18:59:14] [sEVERE]Launcher Build: '1.0.2.0'

[18:59:14] [sEVERE]Allocated 910.25 Mb of RAM

[18:59:14] [sEVERE]Java VM: '1.7.0_09-b05'

[18:59:14] [sEVERE]OS Version: '10.7.5'

[18:59:14] [sEVERE]Is 64-bit: 'true'

[18:59:16] [sEVERE][info] Downloading 'mirrors.yml' from 'http://mirror.technicpack.net/Technic/mirrors.yml'.

[18:59:16] [sEVERE]Starting download of 'http://206.217.207.1/Technic/CHECKSUM.md5', with 3 trie(s) remaining

[18:59:16] [sEVERE]Copying: /temp/file2289431942862769069.tmp to: /launcher/CHECKSUM.md5

[18:59:16] [sEVERE]File Downloaded: /launcher/CHECKSUM.md5

[18:59:17] [sEVERE][MD5 Mismatch] File '/launcher/tekkit/modpack.yml' has md5 of '799b097320717e8299e806db94423b2f' instead of '34c5fb951a0c5032e9e9fdfd9251e79e'

[18:59:17] [sEVERE][info] Downloading 'modpack.yml' from 'http://206.217.207.1/Technic/tekkit/modpack.yml'.

[18:59:17] [sEVERE][info] Downloading 'minecraft.yml' from 'http://206.217.207.1/Technic/minecraft.yml'.

[18:59:29] [sEVERE]Loading Launcher from 'techniclauncher/tekkit'

I feel as though the problem is not fixed or there is a different problem that is equally severe plaguing the community.

Im a mac user w/ latest OS. I have tried everything applicable on the common problems page, and the launcher still wont work.

The Youtube link that Goizzo shared above is the identical to the problem that I have. Here is the log from the launcher too. I'm not sure how to interpret it so any help that anyone can offer would be great! thanks!

Looks like you're using Java 7, which is known to be involved in the problem. The most often recommended solution is to use Java 6. You can easily downgrade Java, but that's really the nuclear option, since you lose the benefits of having Java 7 around. Another option is to use a script to switch Java on the fly, but it's a little involved.

Since you're Terminal-averse, the ideal GUI solution would be to track down a copy of the now-defunct Java Preferences application (try googling it). That'd let you switch between Java 6 and 7 using convenient tick-boxes.

The problem started while I was using java 6 apple. Java 7 isnt the problem for me. The problems began when U updated the launcher to the version where custom zips were enabled. Its been going on for a number of months. I have already tried downgrading java and reinstalling 6.

Hmm, well if you've ruled out Java then I'm probably not qualified to help (java's my only non-food-related skill). My only suggestion is to post a log from the most recent launcher (looks like you backed up to 1.0.2.0), and using Java 6. That'd help the guys smarter than me to rule out the big things first.

If it helps, when I was fiddling with it I renamed my techniclauncher folder each time so I'd have fresh logs and bins.

You should try bootcamping windows then. I can safely say Minecraft runs about 150% better on windows. It also runs 300% better on 64 bit java as opposed to 32 bit.

i was jus tlooking around the forums to see problems and see answers in case i get these errors and wht if there OS is 32 bit will java 64 bit still affect or will it crash?