MAC USERS! IMPORTANT FIX! HELLO CRASH PROBLEM.

Cheap Shot

Question

YRZ3q.png

To all MAC users, good news! You may have encountered an issue while trying to download Voltz, Technic dev builds, or the new Tekkit Lite Pack. You would either get to a screen that says "Hello" and download would fail, or it would fail instantly sometimes in the case of Lite. After much work looking into the problem we determined it was related to macs and running FML. We were able to come up with a solution and it is now available.

FOR EVERYONE USING A MAC. Please back up your saves and texture packs and DELETE YOUR TECHNICLAUNCHER folder.

For mac users that folder is located here:

Users/"User Name"/Library/Application Support/techniclauncher

If you have any other trouble doing this, more information is available in the common problems and solutions threads or other places on the forums.

Next you'll want to go to www.technicpack.net and redownload the launcher. DO NOT use the .exe version, it will not work for mac users obviously.

If you have deleted your techniclauncher folder, running the newly downloaded .jar will put a fresh folder in its place.

CONGRATULATIONS! You are now able to play everything! If you have any further issues, they are with your computer. The community can trouble shoot your computers settings to make sure you have things properly set up on your end such as java. Only if you ask nice and aren't lazy though. Thank you to all mac users who helped solve the issue by posting logs and submitting proper bug reports.

• Answers 176
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

It's been 3 days, at least. MY suggestion is to STFU and not come down on those simply trying to find a workaround so they can play the game they enjoy. Will it eventually be fixed? Probably. Eventually isn't soon enough in my book.

well fine, you can be impatient and try to find the "correct way" to fix this problem, but truly, you should most likely STFU too and learn how to be patient.

Use the standard Minecraft client as a source. You don't need to copy the minecraft.jar file from bin, just the libraries (jinput.jar, lwjgl.jar, lwjgl_util.jar and the natives subdirectory).

so would this fix work for HSM as well?

Edit: answered my own question when i tried it.... nope. still SOL in this department. my regular minecraft works just not technic launcher at all on my mac

I am having a problem similar to the "Spoutcraft has quit unexpectedly" ever since the new update, though I am on 10.6.8 and running Java 6. I think the new "fix" is whats causing the problem because my friend who I told about this before this disconnected from the internet to play the launcher and it worked without a problem. I have a post on the problem with me and the games seems to crash once it is finishing loading the recipes and coremods and begins loading the LWJGL flies, there is some conflict with the java directory. Im fairly new to this but none of the above solutions worked. I know this post isnt helpful but I thinks its time to look past java 7 just being the problem.

this is exactly what im having issues with i have java six and it wasnt until my technic launcher updated that i had a problem.

Guh, well my workaround finally stopped working, and I had to grit my teeth and be force fed the update today. My screen isn't flipped and mirrored, but it runs DOG slow. It isn't a framerate issue, I'm getting anywhere from 30-70 FPS, but it feels laggy and slow, unresponsive. Delays when opening inventories, lag when using the mouse to look around… it FEELS like a framerate issue but fn+F3 would beg to differ; frame rates are fine. I thought maybe the new lwgjl files weren't playing nice with Java 6, so I forced the TekkitLauncher.jar to open with Java 7 by issuing the following command in Terminal:

/Library/Internet\ Plug-Ins/JavaAppletPlugin.plugin/Contents/Home/bin/java -jar ~/Path/to/TechnicLauncer.jar

Didn't seem to help. The updates to the launcher that Olloth mentioned are horrible. They either mirror/flip your display, making it impossible to play in a Window, or the performance is abysmal. Seriously, I wish the devs would just roll back whatever changes they made so Mac users can continue to enjoy Technic pack mods like we always have.

I'm going to try changing my system default VM to Java 7 and see if that helps any, but this is getting ridiculous. I shouldn't have to tinker around with Core OS libraries; one of the reasons I game on a Mac at ALL is so I don't have to spend more time troubleshooting my system (drivers, software updates, etc) than I spend actually playing the game.

Edit: Well the good news is that installing Java 7 seems to fix the responsiveness issue. If you find that the latest TechnicLauncher.jar update caused the apparent frame rate to drop, or cause Technic modpacks to run slower than expected installing Java 7 JDK from here http://www.oracle.com/technetwork/java/javase/downloads/index.html helps. I don't know if it addresses the upside down mirroring issue, I never had that. Better news: its easier than I thought, rather than use the Java 7 VM in Internet Plug-Ins all you have to do is install an entire new JDK. I didn't have to do anything fancy in command line to create new symlinks or anything, but should you find running java -version still reports java 6, try this: http://www.mattgifford.co.uk/set-java-7-as-default-jvm-on-mac-osx-mountain-lion . The instructions are for Mountain Lion, but they should work fine for Lion.

Good news Mac users! You now have to play Tekkit upside down using a mirror.

I have to ask, do you have a Mac to test on Olloth?

Hahahah I don't.

I reverted the lwjgl stuff sorry guys. I had memorial weekend and then some personal stuff to take care of this week.

Soon I will add the option of changing your lwjgl version so people who need 2.9 to run minecraft at all can get it, and people who need 2.8.4 to not be upside down can get that one, and people who have both problems are still screwed because LWJGL is just broken sorry Mac is dumb.

Full disclosure on the upside down issue: This was missed in testing because it is ONLY if you run an Intel Integrated GPU and were on LWJGL 2.9 (which I forced everyone to).

The OTHER Mac problem, where you needed java 6 and java 7 didn't work, REQUIRES LWJGL 2.9. Which means, I have a problem. Because I have to provide at least 2 different LWJGL versions for mac users of multiple configurations, and don't have a mac to test things on, especially not one with an integrated GPU.

Hahahah I don't.

I reverted the lwjgl stuff sorry guys. I had memorial weekend and then some personal stuff to take care of this week.

Soon I will add the option of changing your lwjgl version so people who need 2.9 to run minecraft at all can get it, and people who need 2.8.4 to not be upside down can get that one, and people who have both problems are still screwed because LWJGL is just broken sorry Mac is dumb.

Full disclosure on the upside down issue: This was missed in testing because it is ONLY if you run an Intel Integrated GPU and were on LWJGL 2.9 (which I forced everyone to).

The OTHER Mac problem, where you needed java 6 and java 7 didn't work, REQUIRES LWJGL 2.9. Which means, I have a problem. Because I have to provide at least 2 different LWJGL versions for mac users of multiple configurations, and don't have a mac to test things on, especially not one with an integrated GPU.

Well, thanks at least for fixing this retroactively. It does seem like a tough spot to be in, with some Macs being affected in different ways because of oddities in LWJGL. From what I hear, in the near future minecraft core will require LWJGL 2.9, so that's a problem Mojang has to figure out as well. I'm wrestling with an issue with LWJGL myself right now, can't figure out why minecraft is running OpenGL 2.1 when the hardware and the driver both support OpenGL 3.2. I don't know if it's a limitation in LWJGL for all Macs, or just my specific graphics card.

If you need additional testers, I'm happy to help. I happen to work for a certain fruit themed company based out of Cupertino and have access to a pretty wide spread of Macs. I'm a little disappointed that someone who apparently is in charge of the launcher has the attitude that "Mac is dumb", but am willing to look past the slight in interest of providing a stable, playable environment for the platform so all Mac users can enjoy Technic.

Hahahah I don't.

Mac isn't dumb it's java that sucks. somedays i wish notch had picked something else to make it with. java has always given me trouble, no matter my OS

Mac isn't dumb it's java that sucks. somedays i wish notch had picked something else to make it with. java has always given me trouble, no matter my OS

It's not actually java at all. It's purely lwjgl natives for apple and apple having weird non-standard rendering issues. The natives for lwjgl are written in normal languages that compile specifically for the platform, not java, hence the term natives.

But what do I know, I'm just a software developer.

It's not actually java at all. It's purely lwjgl natives for apple and apple having weird non-standard rendering issues. The natives for lwjgl are written in normal languages that compile specifically for the platform, not java, hence the term natives.

But what do I know, I'm just a software developer.

so why does my regular minecraft launcher work and technic doesnt? still getting the unexpected close problem here

Hahahah I don't.

im only having the first issue, where it just closes after logging in. i have no upside down stuff going on. so what do i need to do to fix this? i can still play on my windows laptop but that thing is ancient and super crappy compared to my newer macbook.

there's a fake version?

I think he's talking about the various iterations of the Platform. There's three AFAIK, with the most current being the third, the Platform itself, as we stopped calling it the Launcher now.

no it wont since i dont have java 7 in the first place

I just sed, that it fixed problem on my mac. Technic launcer and modpacks work fine. Problem is with java. Try to do something with your java cuz noboby will fix that problem on your own mac...

I just sed, that it fixed problem on my mac. Technic launcer and modpacks work fine. Problem is with java. Try to do something with your java cuz noboby will fix that problem on your own mac...

i have tried all the workarounds on this page.

For anyone using the patched files I sent them, they work on most modpacks, however it does not work on big dig, latest tekkit and some custom modpacks. I am looking into a solution for the mac render problem.

YRZ3q.png

To all MAC users, good news! You may have encountered an issue while trying to download Voltz, Technic dev builds, or the new Tekkit Lite Pack. You would either get to a screen that says "Hello" and download would fail, or it would fail instantly sometimes in the case of Lite. After much work looking into the problem we determined it was related to macs and running FML. We were able to come up with a solution and it is now available.

FOR EVERYONE USING A MAC. Please back up your saves and texture packs and DELETE YOUR TECHNICLAUNCHER folder.

For mac users that folder is located here:

Users/"User Name"/Library/Application Support/techniclauncher

If you have any other trouble doing this, more information is available in the common problems and solutions threads or other places on the forums.

Next you'll want to go to www.technicpack.net and redownload the launcher. DO NOT use the .exe version, it will not work for mac users obviously.

If you have deleted your techniclauncher folder, running the newly downloaded .jar will put a fresh folder in its place.

CONGRATULATIONS! You are now able to play everything! If you have any further issues, they are with your computer. The community can trouble shoot your computers settings to make sure you have things properly set up on your end such as java. Only if you ask nice and aren't lazy though. Thank you to all mac users who helped solve the issue by posting logs and submitting proper bug reports.

did not help