MAC USERS! IMPORTANT FIX! HELLO CRASH PROBLEM.

Cheap Shot

Question

YRZ3q.png

To all MAC users, good news! You may have encountered an issue while trying to download Voltz, Technic dev builds, or the new Tekkit Lite Pack. You would either get to a screen that says "Hello" and download would fail, or it would fail instantly sometimes in the case of Lite. After much work looking into the problem we determined it was related to macs and running FML. We were able to come up with a solution and it is now available.

FOR EVERYONE USING A MAC. Please back up your saves and texture packs and DELETE YOUR TECHNICLAUNCHER folder.

For mac users that folder is located here:

Users/"User Name"/Library/Application Support/techniclauncher

If you have any other trouble doing this, more information is available in the common problems and solutions threads or other places on the forums.

Next you'll want to go to www.technicpack.net and redownload the launcher. DO NOT use the .exe version, it will not work for mac users obviously.

If you have deleted your techniclauncher folder, running the newly downloaded .jar will put a fresh folder in its place.

CONGRATULATIONS! You are now able to play everything! If you have any further issues, they are with your computer. The community can trouble shoot your computers settings to make sure you have things properly set up on your end such as java. Only if you ask nice and aren't lazy though. Thank you to all mac users who helped solve the issue by posting logs and submitting proper bug reports.

• Answers 176
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Yes "Sir", I have done more then just delete a folder. We applied an actual literal fix for the issue to the .jar launcher to repair the FML crash (that was effecting all launchers, not just ours). That is why you should only need to do this simple three step fix. Because we did all the work behind the scenes. If this is indeed your issue then that is simply all you need to do. If you have followed those steps exactly then there is something very wrong on your end and expecting us to be able to fix it is beyond hopeless. The "mysterious" java settings I don't go into detail about are literally "make sure you have java properly installed". My version of java is just the regular latest that mac auto updates to. No seeking out fancy builds, or finding tricky versions. I literally didn't have to do anything beyond "delete launcher and all files for clean slate, redownload, play). If you can't do exactly that it is because you have other issues with your computer that are unrelated to this problem. I can't fix those because they're on your end. It's up to you to troubleshoot why it's not working and find a solution. Telling me I'm being insulting and that you're taking your "business" elsewhere is meaningless. I already go well beyond the bounds of what is required of me (nothing) to help the community. Instead of getting mad at me and demanding I come up with all the answers (without knowing anything about all your computers), you're just going to have to be a little constructive.

Mr. Shot, I am not angry. I do, however, take offense to some one implying that I'm stupid. I never asked you to do anything. The only thing I've directed toward you was my last post. I've been working with the community held within this forum in trying to figure out why my laptop and others are having an issue with your launcher. I do realize that this is not a commercial endeavor and you are not responsible for ... well, anything. However, when folks are having a difficult time and you come in and call us dumb, there is a chance that we may get offended. That, along with your apparent frustration and/or lack of want to help with those that your fix did not work will force me to look elsewhere. Also, other launchers do work for me.

As far as being constructive, I have made MultiMC work with your Mod Pack and cnf files and am able to log in to servers (fairly stable anyway, but not perfect) after trying a few different Java versions and experimenting with lwjgl versions as well. I found a work around that works. To me, that is constructive. I've done what I know about and also figured out a way to bypass your launcher with the mod pack intact (I previously didn't know about MultiMC).

Obviously, Mr. Shot, you have done all can and/or want to resolve this issue. And that is fine. I, and I don't think anyone else on this forum, is blaming you for anything (other than being offensive). My hope is to continue with those that are still having an issue and find some resolution for those who can't go to another launcher. It is truth, however, that this is not the only mod pack launcher out there. That is not a threat, as I have nothing to threaten with. I just need something works for me and my friends.

Who called you stupid? Where did I actually say that? You deciding you're offended is on you not me. I've merely stated that work arounds that go as far as bypassing the entire launcher should not be required. If you direct people to another launcher as a fix, they will do so instead of trying to find a proper solution. Then that means they will miss out on the benefits of using the Technic launcher to play the packs. If that is all it takes to insult and upset you, then the internet might not be your scene.

Who called you stupid? Where did I actually say that? You deciding you're offended is on you not me. I've merely stated that work arounds that go as far as bypassing the entire launcher should not be required. If you direct people to another launcher as a fix, they will do so instead of trying to find a proper solution. Then that means they will miss out on the benefits of using the Technic launcher to play the packs. If that is all it takes to insult and upset you, then the internet might not be your scene.

Here Sir. I did everything you suggested... http://forums.technicpack.net/threads/launcher-isnt-loading-fully-mac.36976/

Still not working

I did not say that your directly called me or anyone else stupid. I said that your post implied that we are stupid because we can't follow a simple 3 step procedure you clearly laid out for us. As for me "deciding" that you are offensive is non-sensical. You make a single post in a thread that is meant to try and help folks make a piece of software work and in that post you ridicule those that the software doesn't work for, then continue to to that in every post in that thread. Best case, that is rude. In any case it is not constructive or helpful.

As for me instructing people to go to other launchers.... I suggested one person see if another launcher would work on his system, just to see if the issue was with your launcher or all MC launchers. And, if the launcher can't be run on a system what benefits can one get out of it? from what I can tell, we (the users) choose launchers for the mod combinations and what servers we want to play on. The launcher itself is just a convenience. I could (and have) download every mod listed in your pack, installed them, altered the cfg files. It is just a hassle matching cnf files with servers.

If you truly wanted to be helpful, Mr. Shot, you wouldn't be telling us, "you all are just doing it wrong.", etc. You would be getting as much info from us (those the fix is not working for) and see why your software is not working for some and giving information to those same people. If you do not have the time or want to do so, then don't. Leave us to our own devices and refrain from petty ridicule.

Jesus christ sperg more please.

What I'm saying is the problem is not on our end, so telling people to bypass the launcher and use a different one means the problem will never be fixed for those people. We can never fix an issue for everyone because not everyone has their computers set up exactly the same. We can't magically know what is wrong if people don't submit bug reports properly. Posting in this thread to tell me it doesn't work doesn't help. If the fix in this thread doesn't work for you it means you do not have this problem, or you have other problems in conjunction that are preventing the fix from working. You need to go post your launchers most recent logs in the bug section so people have useful data and can say "oh you need to do X for it to work". If you really demand I offer blind help, here is a suggestion, try clearing the cache through options. I have seen at least one person who said that helped. I can't verify. Troubleshooting isn't my job.

Now let me get back to my actual job which is drawing pictures. :negative:

Jesus christ sperg more please.

What I'm saying is the problem is not on our end, so telling people to bypass the launcher and use a different one means the problem will never be fixed for those people. We can never fix an issue for everyone because not everyone has their computers set up exactly the same. We can't magically know what is wrong if people don't submit bug reports properly. Posting in this thread to tell me it doesn't work doesn't help. If the fix in this thread doesn't work for you it means you do not have this problem, or you have other problems in conjunction that are preventing the fix from working. You need to go post your launchers most recent logs in the bug section so people have useful data and can say "oh you need to do X for it to work". If you really demand I offer blind help, here is a suggestion, try clearing the cache through options. I have seen at least one person who said that helped. I can't verify. Troubleshooting isn't my job.

Now let me get back to my actual job which is drawing pictures. :negative:

I posted a log 2 times now, but didnt got any answers

There's nothing we can do about stupid things like this being done in the launcher.

java.lang.ClassCastException: sun.font.CFont cannot be cast to sun.font.CompositeFont

Stupid things like this? Are you a programmer? Do you know what that means or have looked into it at all? It appears to be some sort of bug with java on mac from my quick research. Try updating your Java, sounds like a java 7 bug. Remember 7 is still relatively new, there have been a couple zero days already even.

Stupid things like this? Are you a programmer? Do you know what that means or have looked into it at all? It appears to be some sort of bug with java on mac from my quick research. Try updating your Java, sounds like a java 7 bug. Remember 7 is still relatively new, there have been a couple zero days already even.

This...

There's nothing we can do about stupid things like this being done in the launcher.

java.lang.ClassCastException: sun.font.CFont cannot be cast to sun.font.CompositeFont

plus, are you even familiar with the concept of github?

I am a programmer. I do know what it means. It means someone was stupid enough to upcast and not catch the exception. The only other reference I can find to this is on the java dev site from June. I have entered an actual bug for this but I don't expect anyone at technic to do anything to support the Mac community.

I am a programmer. I do know what it means. It means someone was stupid enough to upcast and not catch the exception. The only other reference I can find to this is on the java dev site from June. I have entered an actual bug for this but I don't expect anyone at technic to do anything to support the Mac community.

Why don't you give me the entire stack trace then because I highly doubt that cast came directly from our code. It is a java internal attempting that cast from all my research. A JVM 7 bug. You want to bitch about mac support, bitch to oracle.

Please see the bug I entered.

Also there is very little i can to to force the vm path because the launcher spawns a second process.

Alright as far as I can tell this line https://github.com/TechnicPack/Spoutcraft-Launcher/blob/master/src/main/java/org/spoutcraft/launcher/gui/LoginForm.java#L227

is correct.

In your stacktrace here: http://pastie.org/private/u7vzst5pmsfhyslmbukqq You can see that the line 227 calls down to java internals about 100 ways before the class cast exception. The correct class is being passed into the method. This means that java itself is causing the issue. I have absolutely no idea how we could fix this because we are giving a Font class to the setFont method, which is the class that it calls for. It is not a case of " It means someone was stupid enough to upcast and not catch the exception."Or rather it does, but that person who was stupid enough to do it works at Oracle. So like I said, try changing/updating java versions or bitching to oracle. It's not that we don't want to have Mac support, it's that Java 7 is a new and unpolished product and Oracle and Apple haven't been playing nice for a long time.

Also when the launcher spawns a second process it reuses the jvm you passed it to launch the first time.

If you come up with some alternative way to set the font that doesn't result in that error for some odd reason, absolutely feel free to submit a pull request but I can't even reproduce to bug to know for sure because it relies on having some specific unknown build of the jvm and a mac, possibly even only your specific hardware.

If you want you can even look in the OpenJDK version of the JVM and you can see here http://grepcode.com/file/repository.grepcode.com/java/root/jdk/openjdk/7-b147/sun/font/FontUtilities.java#411

that they cast without checking type. So correct, someone was indeed stupid enough to upcast and not check the exception or that it was safe to cast in the first place.

Specifically my hunch is that the bug is provided entirely from within the JVM. We ask for the Arial font, and the JVM provides itself the wrong class when loading the Arial font on a mac and then crashes on casting it. I'm not sure what we can do about that.

"So like I said, try changing/updating java versions" If you read the bug, this is what I did try.

"because it relies on having some specific unknown build of the jvm and a mac" I told you the exact version of the OS and Java. Have you tested the launcher under 10.8.2 and the latest JRE from oracle?

And Cheap try to live past your handle and stay on topic. He didn't own anyone since he's just restating the obvious.

"So like I said, try changing/updating java versions" If you read the bug, this is what I did try.

"because it relies on having some specific unknown build of the jvm and a mac" I told you the exact version of the OS and Java. Have you tested the launcher under 10.8.2 and the latest JRE from oracle?

And Cheap try to live past your handle and stay on topic. He didn't own anyone since he's just restating the obvious.

I don't see anything in this post that helps. I just pointed out exactly what the problem is with the JVM what do you want me to do. Submit a pull request to Oracle? I'm sorry that Apple/Oracle support sucks. It's their fault, not ours. It's not some 'stupid mistake' we made.

"I don't see anything in this post that helps."

ROTLMAO Neither do I, in the thread either.

"I just pointed out exactly what the problem is with the JVM what do you want me to do."

I want you to know what JVMs do and don't work with you're application. I want you to point your users to instruction on how to switch to JVMs that do work. Not simply say "It works on my machine" "Call Oracle" "Try Google"

"I don't see anything in this post that helps."

ROTLMAO Neither do I, in the thread either.

"I just pointed out exactly what the problem is with the JVM what do you want me to do."

I want you to know what JVMs do and don't work with you're application. I want you to point your users to instruction on how to switch to JVMs that do work. Not simply say "It works on my machine" "Call Oracle" "Try Google"

Maybe if you didn't start out with hostility you wouldn't get it in return. I called your bullshit on how we're terrible programmers, because I don't let that kind of thing stand.

I will look into how to potentially get better instructions or finding the correct JVM version for people on mac but in the mean time I wanted you to be aware that I won't stand for you outright fabricating the simplicity of the problem.

It's not as simple as you made it out to be and if you want to backseat code fix it yourself. You back pedaled out of all that stuff into discussion about which JVM to use at this point which means we were right. It's a JVM issue. I don't want people reading the thread to openly believe your statements about our ability to change a line of code and make the problem go away. It's a lot more complicated than that. I have to reproduce the problem, then reproduce the solution, then post the steps to the reproduction of the solution in a way that a lot of 12 year olds can figure it out. Reproducing the problem is tough because I have to find someone with a mac that knows how to use it enough to follow directions and manually install a bunch of different JVMs to test it out.

I'm not simply saying it works on my machine. I'm saying I have an extremely hard time fixing bugs for machines I don't own. This is an open source project and a volunteer one at that. I don't have the resources that a real company would to purchasing multiple sets of hardware to test on. If you can figure it out without me I would appreciate that, it seems you already found one not ideal solution and in the future I can potentially help people by referencing that. But don't say it's all our fault and we're doing nothing. That's untrue.