MAC USERS! IMPORTANT FIX! HELLO CRASH PROBLEM.

Cheap Shot

Question

YRZ3q.png

To all MAC users, good news! You may have encountered an issue while trying to download Voltz, Technic dev builds, or the new Tekkit Lite Pack. You would either get to a screen that says "Hello" and download would fail, or it would fail instantly sometimes in the case of Lite. After much work looking into the problem we determined it was related to macs and running FML. We were able to come up with a solution and it is now available.

FOR EVERYONE USING A MAC. Please back up your saves and texture packs and DELETE YOUR TECHNICLAUNCHER folder.

For mac users that folder is located here:

Users/"User Name"/Library/Application Support/techniclauncher

If you have any other trouble doing this, more information is available in the common problems and solutions threads or other places on the forums.

Next you'll want to go to www.technicpack.net and redownload the launcher. DO NOT use the .exe version, it will not work for mac users obviously.

If you have deleted your techniclauncher folder, running the newly downloaded .jar will put a fresh folder in its place.

CONGRATULATIONS! You are now able to play everything! If you have any further issues, they are with your computer. The community can trouble shoot your computers settings to make sure you have things properly set up on your end such as java. Only if you ask nice and aren't lazy though. Thank you to all mac users who helped solve the issue by posting logs and submitting proper bug reports.

• Answers 176
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

every time i try to download java seven im told i need Mac Lion or some stupid crap i dont wanna pay for

very helpful. learn to read? do me a favor and put some damn commas into your post. Second of all, I am just a forum user and am not responsible in any way to help you, so stop being so self entitled.

you know i read on the front page that people here would be helpful, but thus far, you have been nothing but a disrespectful egotistic asshole. i never said you HAD to help me i merely asked to to post a log so i could get help. i tried to update my java by going to oracle's website. After downloading it and during installation i was given a prompt that told me i needed to use OS lion , which would cost me some extra money that i frankly cant afford to spend. i tried many of the fixes in this thread and they did not work. Also as a side note: respect from me will not be demanded, it is earned by showing respect.

GOOD NEWS EVERYONE

Java 7/mac support is now in the launcher, in the form of an update to lwjgl 2.9. Mojang is waiting until Minecraft 1.6 to update LWJGL but I did it for you all early!

Ahhh, so that's why my Minecraft is now running like molasses, and persists in re-downloading a new set of libs, despite my attempting to restore the whole shebang to a working version.

I'm getting "improved performance"... as in 1-2 fps while connected.

Oh, and the launcher asks me if I want to update something... but AFTER having loaded and replaced the libs.

Would it be possible to make sure that the launcher does NOT upgrade your libs until you say "yes"? I'd like to be able to play normally. Thank you.

He probably has a recent 10.8 Mac OS X. With Java 7.

Found a workaround to the problem. Have a backup of the Library/Application Support/techniclauncher/tekkitlite (or whatever)/bin libs (jinput.jar, lwgl*.jar, natives/*) of a pre-friday install somewhere (I made a working.tar archive). Create a shell script that restores the archive. Launch the Technic Launcher, start playing. The launcher replaces the libs, then prompts you. While it prompts you, restore all the libs using your script, then click "No". Play "normally".

You do have to do this every time you want to play, since the launcher can't be told not to update, so it will attempt to "upgrade you" to its java 7 environment without checking if you have, in fact, java 7.

If you don't have backups (pre-time machine), then use the libs from a standard minecraft client install (Library/Application Support/minecraft/bin), since the official Mojang client has not jumped the gun yet.

I wonder if you could lock those files after restoring them, or adjust their permissions so the launcher doesn't replace them. I've still got a game window open from before the issue started happening, and don't plan on quitting it until the issue is fixed.

The reason I asked if he had a Mac is if he tests the launcher before pushing out changes like this that break the game for every Mac user. Also, there seems to be a lot of confusion around which java version is the default in OS X. Both Java 6 and Java 7 are installed in 10.6, 10.7 and 10.8, but java 7 is contained in the /Library/Internet Plug-Ins directory and not configured (by default) as the system wide default to launch when you doubleclick a JAR file.

It's like he fixed a perceived problem that doesn't exist. I've been happily playing Tekkit in Java 6 (despite the incorrect warnings from TekkitLauncher) for a while now, no lwgl updates needed.

There are reports of it working correctly on macs. The three people who were in IRC yesterday with issues all had an Intel graphics chip, while someone else who tested and didn't have the mirrored display had a mac with an nVidia chip in it.

Also, this LWJGL update has already happened in the Mojang snapshots, and is going to be forced in MC1.6, so there was a decent idea that it should work correctly.

Both Java 6 and Java 7 are installed in 10.6,...

Nope, Java 7 is not available on 10.6. You need Lion (10.7) or Mountain Lion (10.8) for Java 7.

Yes, if your Mac is from before July 2011, you can't run Java 7. Who needs compatibility with 2-year old computer stuff anyway?

(I can imagine what would happen if the same mentality was prevalent in the Windows world)

there was a decent idea that it should work correctly.

Yea. Unfortunately, it doesn't.

Just to be precise: yes, Minecraft will stop working on 2-year old macs when Mojang pushes their update. I'm painfully aware of this. However, you should be able to play your 1.5 Minecraft, just not the newer version.

With Technic Launcher, you're not allowed not to upgrade.

The whole crash thing is happening to me too, but it loads the Tekkit Classic modpack window, but the screen is white and then it crashes with a error report and "Spoutcraft has quit unexpectedly". I tried reinstalling the launcher, and even on the other Mac OS on the second partition and they're both getting what I just said. Ive done the whole deleting everything too and nothing's working. I dunno what the problem is and all that "old launcher" and stuff dosen't work either (update failed). And technic mysteriously stopped working two days ago out of the blue lol. I am very repetitive so don't mind me. And Kalgorath it seems our modpacks stopped working at the same time, and I have the same OS as you too. I made a forum post if you want to see my error log, it's on there.

The whole crash thing is happening to me too, but for me, I tried to open the Big Dig thing and it would load for 2 seconds, then, after the FML, the screen turned black for 1 second. The it quickly turned back to white, and then while it was being white, at any given moment, it would crash and say, "Spoutcraft has quit unexpectedly". I deleted it, reinstalled it, but it still wouldn't work. I don't know what kind of Mac OS you have but I have a Mac OS X Version 10.7.5 and I don't know exactly how old it is.

Nope, Java 7 is not available on 10.6. You need Lion (10.7) or Mountain Lion (10.8) for Java 7.

Good call, I could have sworn Oracle was supporting 10.6 and higher for Java 7, but I may have been thinking of Adobe and their Flash Player support. The mentality you speak of is a result of Oracle, not Apple. Oracle is responsible for getting Java on Mac OS.

The point still stands though, Java 6 at least is installed on 10.6-10.8, and is separate from the Java 7 installation and default for launching JAR files.

After completing everything with FML, the window just becomes incredibly pixelated and after a while turns black. I'm using ML and Java 6. I don't get any errors either, it's just that my screen the window is left black. Have tried re-installing so many times now, and have no idea on where to go from here.

You guys want to know what MY suggestion is? Instead of fussing about not using or using MultiMC or anything like that, I myself would be PATIENT and WAIT until The Technic Pack Team FIXES the problem. THATS the solution to it. 'Cause I know that they will fix it, heck, they could be working on fixing it right now! I mean they've had a relatively similar problem before, and they fixed it like 1 or 2 days later. Patience is the answer.

It's been 3 days, at least. MY suggestion is to STFU and not come down on those simply trying to find a workaround so they can play the game they enjoy. Will it eventually be fixed? Probably. Eventually isn't soon enough in my book.

I've found if you lock all the files in the tekkitmain/bin directory, the launcher can't update them and it will continue to function. If you've already updated and have been hit by the upside down mirrored bug, quit the launcher or the game, restore all the files and folders in ../bin and then lock them. (Control click or right click a file, get info, check the locked box.)

I've found if you lock all the files in the tekkitmain/bin directory, the launcher can't update them and it will continue to function. If you've already updated and have been hit by the upside down mirrored bug, quit the launcher or the game, restore all the files and folders in ../bin and then lock them. (Control click or right click a file, get info, check the locked box.)

Can you point to a download area that I can get these files to 'restore' them from? I was hit by the bug and have only been able to play in full screen now (also, the program doesn't recognize some of my resolutions like it used to - only wants to play in the lower resolutions).

Your idea sounds like a good one - I just don't have any files to restore from. Would be great if you could provide a link to get the correct files. Thanks!

I am having a problem similar to the "Spoutcraft has quit unexpectedly" ever since the new update, though I am on 10.6.8 and running Java 6. I think the new "fix" is whats causing the problem because my friend who I told about this before this disconnected from the internet to play the launcher and it worked without a problem. I have a post on the problem with me and the games seems to crash once it is finishing loading the recipes and coremods and begins loading the LWJGL flies, there is some conflict with the java directory. Im fairly new to this but none of the above solutions worked. I know this post isnt helpful but I thinks its time to look past java 7 just being the problem.

Your idea sounds like a good one - I just don't have any files to restore from. Would be great if you could provide a link to get the correct files. Thanks!

Use the standard Minecraft client as a source. You don't need to copy the minecraft.jar file from bin, just the libraries (jinput.jar, lwjgl.jar, lwjgl_util.jar and the natives subdirectory).