Redstone Engine --> EU?

Dr. Zuko

Hello chaps, so I was in the process of experimentation and tried to see if a redstone engine could generate EU via conductive pipes (considering other engines do) but sadly nothing happened. So I searched Google on the idea and found some videos of people actually having success with the system (redstone engine, conductive pipes, LV gen., batbox), this in turn has left me a bit confused. Do redstone engines no longer conduct EU?

In one of the recent updates something (I'm not exactly sure what) was changed so that you can no longer (reliably?) generate enough MJs with redstone engines to convert into EU, or even to run some of the machines.

Edit: Looks like they just don't actually output MJs anymore, I can't get it to work when attached to conductive pipes or anything that runs on MJs, only when attached to wooden pipes.

Conductive pipes don't work on Redstone Engines, they just don't.

Are you simply stating the issue at hand or are you saying that they "just don't work" because they are inefficient at producing EU? If it is the issue at hand then my question to you is why they no longer work when in the past they did? I mean it is an engine of some sort therefore it should be able to produce power right? If not then it shouldn't be called an engine anymore since they only thing it can do now is allow items to travel through pipes, that would be called a pump I believe?

It's in some update notes that they'll no longer produce power into wood conductive pipes.

But you could simply do something similar like you mentioned in your first post but using these newish items the pneumatic generators.

My setup for some simple free power is redstone engines pumping directly into a "LV Pneumatic Generator" which takes in MJ and outputs EU, so from there you can plop your batbox next to it on the side that lacks a redstone engine, or you can cable it out.

It's not so bad of a change. I enjoy anything that makes what used to be easier or more difficult, more hard to do. Now instead of being able to easily make huge arrays of these redstone engines going into pipes, you at least need to craft a pneumatic generator for each set of redstone engines. So you can do the same stuff, just takes more crafting resources.

• Discord Moderator

Are you simply stating the issue at hand or are you saying that they "just don't work" because they are inefficient at producing EU? If it is the issue at hand then my question to you is why they no longer work when in the past they did? I mean it is an engine of some sort therefore it should be able to produce power right? If not then it shouldn't be called an engine anymore since they only thing it can do now is allow items to travel through pipes, that would be called a pump I believe?

Check the BuildCraft 3 wiki. It specifically states that redstone engines no longer connect to conductive wooden pipes with a statement directly after that they cannot be used to generate power that way.

Redstone engines are the most basic engine. When applied with redstone current, it will be powered forever until you turn it off. As of version 3.2 they can no longer be used to power wooden conductive pipes

It's in some update notes that they'll no longer produce power into wood conductive pipes.

But you could simply do something similar like you mentioned in your first post but using these newish items the pneumatic generators.

My setup for some simple free power is redstone engines pumping directly into a "LV Pneumatic Generator" which takes in MJ and outputs EU, so from there you can plop your batbox next to it on the side that lacks a redstone engine, or you can cable it out.

It's not so bad of a change. I enjoy anything that makes what used to be easier or more difficult, more hard to do. Now instead of being able to easily make huge arrays of these redstone engines going into pipes, you at least need to craft a pneumatic generator for each set of redstone engines. So you can do the same stuff, just takes more crafting resources.

Ahh I see, tried it out and it works perfect! :) On the other hand I am in fact a fan of having large arrays of engines haha. I had this setup I wanted to try out and when I saw that redstone engines don't work with pipes anymore I died a little on the inside :/ But this will do I guess. Do you think they will allow for engines to work with conductive pipes again?

Check the BuildCraft 3 wiki. It specifically states that redstone engines no longer connect to conductive wooden pipes with a statement directly after that they cannot be used to generate power that way.

Ahh, that I have not looked at yet! Well that's a bummer :/ In the end I guess it can be OP, slow...but OP. Thank you for the post!

...Do you think they will allow for engines to work with conductive pipes again?

According to the update note that Plowman pasted, it doesn't look like Redstone engine to conductive pipe functionality is wanted, but I'd assume the other engines that make MJ can send power through conductive pipes.

I almost feel like this "work-around" with the Pneumatic Generators from IC2 Transformers addon is going against the desired functionality that the BuildCraft dude is going for but for now it works. If for some reason redstone engines are changed to stop working with the pneumatics even, then there's still BC Consumer->Energy Bridge->IC2 Producer blocks from PowerConverters. (Edit: But I'm actually not sure if redstone engines will give power directly to a BC Consumer, I might try later for the fun of it though it's crazy inefficient)