Quarry problems.

kakalos781

Hello, my question is about powering quarries and it appears you can only do so with constant attention to keep the engines from overheating, that is my problem, i don't want to pay attention and just lay back on my throne while this machine spews diamonds. How do i do this? I don't want to do anything with those dangerous combustion engines.

AFAIK the quarry always pump power even when it's not doing anything, so the engine souldn't explode with enough water. Just make sure the pumps and the water they draw from are chunkloaded.

Quarries act as chunkloaders, so your whole water system should be in the same chunk as your quarry, or you need to put chunkloaders if you're pumping water from other chunks.

If you do want to be absolutely sure, you can put a conductive pipe between the quarry and the engines, with a gate set to send a redstone signal only when the quarry has a job to perform.

Finally, sometime the water blocks from an infinite source glitch out and the water isn't resplenished.

There are two different solutions for that:

- always use a 3*3 body of water as an infinite source, not just a 1*3.

- the best option for pumping water is the aqueous accumulator from thermal expansion, surrounded by water blocks.

• Discord Moderator

I liked it more when they were powered with redstone D:

There is a certain amount of stress relief that comes from knowing your machine will never malfunction. However, with quarries needing the better part of 50MJ/t to run at full speed (about 128EU/t if converting) that redstone engine just doesn't keep up anymore even if it could connect to a conductive wooden pipe (which it can't).

• Discord Moderator

the point of the quarry is to relax sit back and get free stuff

True, true. But with the increase in the max MJ/t for quarries between BC2 and BC3 going from 9 to 32 the lower tier stuff just doesn't cut the mustard. 128EU/t | 50MJ/t? That's a not inconsiderable amount of power.

I worked it out, i just use 10 of these coal engines, i just need to keep a healthy supply of wood coming in.

Though i don't know what to do now lol, there aren't really alot of weapons or explosives in this mod, when you have your quarry up and running you basicly win the game.

• Discord Moderator

Won? Hmmm.

Automated, self regulating crafting systems, self managing power generation and delivery system, Mystcraft exploration, automated farms (both plants and animals). Lots of stuff to do there each one of which has two or three ways it can be accomplished.

Ive had more than a few exploded quarry systems. I have, however, finally found a formula that works. To safely run 1 quarry, I use 3 water pumps, 1 refinery, 2 oil pumps, 9 combustion engines and one redstone engine (for getting fuel out of the refinery), and several different types of piping. Basically what you will be doing is piping water and fuel to your combustion engines, piping oil into the refinery, and piping fuel out of the refinery.

-Use one engine per pump, 2 on the quarry, and 2 on the refinery.

-I stagger the oil pumps (let one run for a bit then start the other) so it is unlikely I will run out of oil while the quarry is running.

-Always use gold waterproofed pipe for transporting water to cool engines (this is very very important as gold pipes can carry the largest amount of liquid per pipe section). You can use cobblestone waterproofed piping for fuel and oil. Use teleport pipes to get your different liquids around.

-Sometimes the pumps will bug and stop sucking up water. To solve this, use a 1 deep pool of water (this works unless your server starts lagging bad).

-Make sure to force load the chunks where your machinery is.

-Don't be shy with the teleport piping on your water system. I had all of my water pumps in one location using 1 output teleport pipe to feed the rest of the system. It blew up on me because only so much water can get through a single teleport pipe at a time.

It is possible 3 water pumps is overkill, but I have found the cost of running one more pump is well worth it. You can add to this system to power more quarries. Just be sure to keep the water flowing :). Note that the engines on the oil pumps will use the oil as fuel if you do not put actual fuel into them (i usually start the system with lava and then run into this problem). You will use up your oil much slower if you get fuel into the engines instead of oil. To fix this problem, I usually wait until I have some fuel flowing and then pick up the pump and engine, then put both back down and wait for a little bit of fuel to flow into the engine before starting it again.

Wow, that's pretty involved. I normally just toss down 2 electric engines, an IC geothermal generator and shove in a couple stacks of lava filled tin cans. It normally needs a refill about every 1/2 to 1/3 way through depending on size, but I can handle a couple of trips out.

I mainly use a lava pumping station in the nether that telepipes the lava. Then at my base I have a huge tank/tanks that recieves the lava, from there the lava is used by magmatics for my BC power network and an array of geotherms ->MFSUs for my EU power network.

I also have two max sized quarries in the world, powered by five magmatic engines each. Each magmatic engine array is connected by telepipe to the 'lava channel'.

^ pretty much like him i have 12 geothermal engines at 240 eu going into a mfse and i have that powering 6 regular elec engines with a phased conductive pipe. i then place another phased pipe to my quarry and voila. also im pumping the lava from the nether with waterproof phased pipes if your wondering. 900+ game days and i havent even moved my pump. the engines run about 140ish eu i believe...never explodes...almost infinte source of power

I stuck forestry in so I am using its electric engine. It is really the only worthwhile thing left in forestry. Thaumcraft golems are better at farming everything but trees, bees are some wacky mess of nonsense, bio mass/fuel is almost irrelevant if you can drain the nether....

The Adjustable Electric Engine (Forestry, I think,) is my ideal choice overall. Charge up a lapotron, drop the engine next to the quarry (or whatever,) and plug in the lapotron. Adjust as desired for speed--I enjoy the higher settings just to see the gantry whiz around.