Luke’s (Hopefully) comprehensive modpack making guide.

lukeb28

I could have told you that Millenaire does not play ball with other mods. Or anything really. A rule of thumb would be play Millenaire by itself.

I can install millenaire just fine manually with this set of mods. It's not intercompatability. The problem is definitely something with how the file hierarchy works with the technic launchers unzipping thingamabob.

• 4 weeks later...

Hey there Luke.

Thanks for the guide, it has served me well, and I'd imagine quite a few others as well.

With #411, they added the ability to put in java arguments into the version.json which is really really nice.

My next question then, it what is the proper method of adding this field to the json file, without hosing the rest of it?  It would appear to me that some of the bits of information are automatically generated when technic does... whatever it does, with the modpack file -- and I'm not sure how one edits this file without hosing the whole thing.

I really do appreciate the guide, and thank you for the time in making it, and hopefully updating it to reflect how to properly include the java argument value to our packs.

hello modders i am looking for any person who has any free time to create a mod pack with the mods of my choosing and create a server file with those mods. i am willing to pay money over paypal. i am trying to make this as short and sweet as i can haha. we can work out the fine details over Skype or anything. so if you are interested in this opportunity please leave a comment and we can get something figured out.

PS. this is not a joke i don't want anybody who is not really interested and doesn't has the time to put into this mod pack.

i mean i don't expect you to be working on it 247 but an understandable amount of time

the cash range will vary depending on how satisfied i am with the mod pack and server file,i also expect this mod pack to be put up for download on Technic modpacks.

have a nice day :)

• 2 weeks later...

(Please note: I did not follow this guide to make my pack so it might be a bit difficult to help me. I did manage to get it to FML's loading screen and what you describe in your guide looks a lot like what I did.)
in my initial build, I failed to include PowerCrystalCore (1.1.7) with Mine Factory Reloaded. FML called me on it, so I added it to the zip file in my dropbox folder that the link on my pack page leads to. I also made sure to change my pack version so that it pushed an update. I launch the pack, updated it, and I still get the error. Does anyone know what's going on here?
FYI:
What I did do to build my pack was take a pack (Go for Launch, a pack designed for secondarygaming.enjin.com's server) I knew had almost all the mods I liked, remove the ones I don't like, and zip whatever's left. I guess in the process of that I removed PowerCrystalCore.

Edited by macks2008

Hey there Luke.

Thanks for the guide, it has served me well, and I'd imagine quite a few others as well.

With #411, they added the ability to put in java arguments into the version.json which is really really nice.

My next question then, it what is the proper method of adding this field to the json file, without hosing the rest of it?  It would appear to me that some of the bits of information are automatically generated when technic does... whatever it does, with the modpack file -- and I'm not sure how one edits this file without hosing the whole thing.

I really do appreciate the guide, and thank you for the time in making it, and hopefully updating it to reflect how to properly include the java argument value to our packs.

My apology's but this is outside my expertise. I don't know much about json. However I will look into it and see what I can do.

Edit: What field are you talking about?

(Please note: I did not follow this guide to make my pack so it might be a bit difficult to help me. I did manage to get it to FML's loading screen and what you describe in your guide looks a lot like what I did.)

in my initial build, I failed to include PowerCrystalCore (1.1.7) with Mine Factory Reloaded. FML called me on it, so I added it to the zip file in my dropbox folder that the link on my pack page leads to. I also made sure to change my pack version so that it pushed an update. I launch the pack, updated it, and I still get the error. Does anyone know what's going on here?

FYI:

What I did do to build my pack was take a pack (Go for Launch, a pack designed for secondarygaming.enjin.com's server) I knew had almost all the mods I liked, remove the ones I don't like, and zip whatever's left. I guess in the process of that I removed PowerCrystalCore.

So do you still have your problem then or has adding PoweCrystalCore fixed that?

Edited by lukeb28

My apology's but this is outside my expertise. I don't know much about json. However I will look into it and see what I can do.

Edit: What field are you talking about?

The specific one I'd like to use is from the news post:

"A new optional 'javaArguments' field has been added to our object model of the version.json file. This new field is a text string in which modpack authors can add java runtime arguments to add to their pack startup command. Please remember that the edited version.json file needs to be inside the root of modpack.jar."

if you can figure this out, I'd greatly appreciate it.

Yes, I still have my problem. That's why I made a post requesting help for it. My apologies for not making that clear.

Rereading it I see what you mean. The original pack probably used an older version of powercrystals hence the mods that depend upon the core do not match it and crash the game. You will have to ether find the correct version or change all of them to be the same. If you go with the later, you could update them all to the latest version for your version of minecraft and it should work out. Just make sure to remove all of the original powercrystal mods before hand and check the pack works before adding the newer versions.

The specific one I'd like to use is from the news post:

"A new optional 'javaArguments' field has been added to our object model of the version.json file. This new field is a text string in which modpack authors can add java runtime arguments to add to their pack startup command. Please remember that the edited version.json file needs to be inside the root of modpack.jar."

if you can figure this out, I'd greatly appreciate it.

I'm going to look into that.

Rereading it I see what you mean. The original pack probably used an older version of powercrystals hence the mods that depend upon the core do not match it and crash the game. You will have to ether find the correct version or change all of them to be the same. If you go with the later, you could update them all to the latest version for your version of minecraft and it should work out. Just make sure to remove all of the original powercrystal mods before hand and check the pack works before adding the newer versions.

How can it be a mismatch? I downloaded the version of PowerCrystalCore that it requested.

I think the only PowerCrystals mod I have is Mine Factory Reloaded, but I might be wrong.

Could you please clarify the process for updating a pack? I think I'm probably doing it wrong since I added the version it asked for but it's still telling me I don't have that version.

Edited by macks2008

How can it be a mismatch? I downloaded the version of PowerCrystalCore that it requested.

I think the only PowerCrystals mod I have is Mine Factory Reloaded, but I might be wrong.

Could you please clarify the process for updating a pack? I think I'm probably doing it wrong since I added the version it asked for but it's still telling me I don't have that version.

If its not that we'll start at square one. I'll need the FML report to get started

If its not that we'll start at square one. I'll need the FML report to get started

Ahem...

Anyway, let me see if I can get that log...

in the meantime "Could you please clarify the process for updating a pack?"

I'll edit this post when I have the log, assuming you haven't replied already.

Edit: how do I do spoilers on this site?

Edited by macks2008

Edit: how do I do spoilers on this site?

Insert it as code.

Updating is the same as building a pack except a good portion of the work is done unless your moving up/down a minecraft version, then your just building a new pack all together.

Insert it as code.

Updating is the same as building a pack except a good portion of the work is done unless your moving up/down a minecraft version, then your just building a new pack all together.

That's what I thought, but then I added PowerCrystalCore 1.1.7 to the zip file on my dropbox that is referenced on my modpack's Technic Platform database entry, changed the version number on said database entry, downloaded the update to the pack Technic Launcher, and still got an error from FML asking for PowerCrystalCore 1.1.7.

Maybe you can figure out what the hell is going on? Here's the FML log for the most recent session. I had to put it on pastebin because apparently a 2000 line post is too much, even with code tags (which I tried).

Edited by macks2008

That's what I thought, but then I added PowerCrystalCore 1.1.7 to the zip file on my dropbox that is referenced on my modpack's Technic Platform database entry, changed the version number on said database entry, downloaded the update to the pack Technic Launcher, and still got an error from FML asking for PowerCrystalCore 1.1.7.

Maybe you can figure out what the hell is going on? Here's the FML log for the most recent session. I had to put it on pastebin because apparently a 2000 line post is too much, even with code tags (which I tried).

Looking at it, I'm seeing a lot of 

2014-02-21 17:43:02 [WARNING] [BuildCraft] Mod BuildCraft is missing a pack.mcmeta file, things may not work well

2014-02-21 17:43:02 [WARNING] [BC Energy] Mod BC Energy is missing a pack.mcmeta file, things may not work well

2014-02-21 17:43:02 [WARNING] [BC Factory] Mod BC Factory is missing a pack.mcmeta file, things may not work well

2014-02-21 17:43:02 [WARNING] [BC Silicon] Mod BC Silicon is missing a pack.mcmeta file, things may not work well

2014-02-21 17:43:02 [WARNING] [BC Transport] Mod BC Transport is missing a pack.mcmeta file, things may not work well

Its not just Buildcraft, its doing that for all of them. Seeing as it's doing it for all of them, I would imagine it's something to do with your modpack.jar. Try building your own or taking it from the DL list and replace the current one.

Looking at it, I'm seeing a lot of 

2014-02-21 17:43:02 [WARNING] [BuildCraft] Mod BuildCraft is missing a pack.mcmeta file, things may not work well

2014-02-21 17:43:02 [WARNING] [BC Energy] Mod BC Energy is missing a pack.mcmeta file, things may not work well

2014-02-21 17:43:02 [WARNING] [BC Factory] Mod BC Factory is missing a pack.mcmeta file, things may not work well

2014-02-21 17:43:02 [WARNING] [BC Silicon] Mod BC Silicon is missing a pack.mcmeta file, things may not work well

2014-02-21 17:43:02 [WARNING] [BC Transport] Mod BC Transport is missing a pack.mcmeta file, things may not work well

Its not just Buildcraft, its doing that for all of them. Seeing as it's doing it for all of them, I would imagine it's something to do with your modpack.jar. Try building your own or taking it from the DL list and replace the current one.

Okay, where's the DL list? Or perhaps I should just make my own. I think I only need Forge Mod Loader, but I'm not positive.

I think you might be right about what the problem is. Hopefully I can figure out how to fix it.

Hey, speaking of that portion of the Forge Mod Loader log, what is Buildcraft silicon? Is that anything like a substitute for Redpower 2's logic gates? I need one, seeing as Redpower is so much outdated (real life seems to have killed it by overloading Eloraam with work).

Edited by macks2008

Okay, where's the DL list? Or perhaps I should just make my own. I think I only need Forge Mod Loader, but I'm not positive.

I think you might be right about what the problem is. Hopefully I can figure out how to fix it.

Hey, speaking of that portion of the Forge Mod Loader log, what is Buildcraft silicon? Is that anything like a substitute for Redpower 2's logic gates? I need one, seeing as Redpower is so much outdated (real life seems to have killed it by overloading Eloraam with work).

It's on the first page. Look at the table of contents.

As for the buildcraft thing, as far as I understand buildcraft is actually several mods that work in unison. Silicon is the part that handles the logic gates. If you would like to know more, the wiki would have much more information on the topic.

Hey Luke,.. can you please tell me if the ID dump thread is replaced or somethig becose the link goes dead!

Prehaps you can type it out, like it was before as I remember correct, how I can change the id's becose I'm having that problem right now!

Really love your thread by the way, learned alot from it!

Thanks

Hey Luke,.. can you please tell me if the ID dump thread is replaced or somethig becose the link goes dead!

Prehaps you can type it out, like it was before as I remember correct, how I can change the id's becose I'm having that problem right now!

Really love your thread by the way, learned alot from it!

Thanks

The link had been to give credit, all the information is actually on that post. It is disappointing to see the credit has been lost though. 

I saw,.. I overlooked becouse I had been surching to long and to much and stuff,.. 

how do thy call that workblindness or something, Anyway, solved my problem with a mod I found

called IDfix. worked very good for me!

Just want to say I spent 2 days trying to put together a modpack for my kiddo and I to play. Your instructions were great! Once I threw the laptop (figuratively) took a deep breath, I realized the one, small step I missed. Thank you for taking the time to put the instructions together and putting a modpack.jar where I can find it.. though I think I had a perfectly working one after your directions.

Once again, thanks!