Renewable Power Source

Yami Fowl

Hello everyone,

I see IndustrialCraft 2 (due to slow updating, or as I already read on some topics, being "almost dead) was removed from the new Tekkit.

That left me with a gap on my power supply, I made use of several solar power plants and now I feel like I was set back some steps...

Is there any similar source of energy on the New Tekkit?

Thanks in advance!

Solar (and nuclear?) might make an appearance some time in the future but it needs to be properly balanced as IMO IC2's Solar generated too much power too simply and too cheaply.

The top tier power sources (for the moment) are Magmatic engines (which can most easily be fed with lava from the Nether via phase pipes/ender tanks etc) and BioReactors which uses fuel created in the BioFuel generator. The BioFuel generator in turn uses seeds, food, saplings, etc. If you had an automatic farm it could feed the biofuel generator and create a renewable power source, but it works most efficiently when fed as many different kinds of biomatter as possible.

My advice is to start with the Magmatic engines as they can most easily be set up to be autonomous, then work towards getting a biofuel system set up. That's what I'm working toward anyway.

If you look in the lets play section for (NEW) tekkit tutorials and a lets play, episode 4 of my les play, I set up a self sustaining bioreactor tree farm setup, that is currently running three quarries and machines at the same time with ease.

Not in my experience. I have a bank of 20 running powering everything and I've never yet had one break down.

Actually that's quite not true. I had one break down which just happened to be the one powering the pump in the nether and caused the whole system to stop. :D But I think that was mostly because I had wired it up in a weird way. I think as long as they have something to power then they're fine.

Is my current power setup to give you some ideas, its pretty overkill outputting 1440 mj/tick. It's self sustaining off only 4 large autoharvesting farms. And all the bioreactos are being fed by AE which I can't reccomend checking out enough if you haven't yet.

Biofuel generators are great because they put out 15.2 MJ/tick but they eat through fuel much faster than other engines. This is combated by making sure you fill up your bio reactors completely as each different additional bio source increases the efficiency of itself and every previous bio source by 10mb. So with only 1 bio source you get 80 mb per biosource, but with 9 you get 160 per bio source.

Also bioreactors turn themselves off immedieately when nothing you have needs power, and turn themselves back on as needed, same with bio reactors. they never explode, and you only need to use 2 faces of them so you can pack them very tightly.

Euphoreich,

I thank you for the idea, unfortunantly I am not very familiarized with AE (to be honest, I never really used it and I never saw any articles about it's true functionality, I only see tutorials about making the ME Processors and etc, thus I lost some interest on it).

As to your setup, how can you make the AutoHarverst Farms without crops (from IC2)?

Yeah I loved the idea of magma engines in Tekkit (I didn't start until recently) then the new Tekkit came out so the transition was VERY easy. For some reason my nether magma engine overheats and shuts down, but my three that power my redstone energy cells never do. Any tips to keep that one running? Those 3 cells provide all the energy I can use so I'd like to get it running so I don't have to constantly go hit it with a wrench.

I have anchors up and I ONLY use redstone conduits now. It's the engine itself that over-heats. Is it true that moving it a few blocks from the pump will prevent it from over heating, rather than connecting it directly to it?

• Discord Moderator

Im pretty sure if you feed it from a conduit into the pump it will never overheat.

Well, true, that was stated by King Lemming and he should know, hehe.

However, in my opinion, one should always design systems to self-regulate and having engines running when they aren't needed doesn't really qualify. :)

Well, true, that was stated by King Lemming and he should know, hehe.

However, in my opinion, one should always design systems to self-regulate and having engines running when they aren't needed doesn't really qualify. :)

They slow down and reduce fuel usage when the power's not used. I'd say that qualifies :P