Mekanism as a Tekkit mod?

jakalth

It seems to me that Mekanism might be a good addition to the Tekkit Mod pack. It has some of the features that several people have been crying about(adv power generation and passive solar arrays) and as a bonus, it happily works directly with the MJ power system thanks to it being a Universal electric mod. Combine this mod with Thermal Expansion(which you already use) and you would have a complete replacement for IC2. The power systems in Mekanism seem to be as smart as TE.

Now the big question is, would this mod be compatible with the mod list already in Tekkit, AND would the other items it adds be worthwhile or just redundant?

Atomic Science could be fun as well.

But I'm kinda "eh" over the whole Solar Panel thing. I was glad that Solar Arrays didn't exist anymore, since it was literally place & forget and get free energy. The whole game started revolving around them, and I'm not sure if adding Solar Panels again would be a good idea.

Just my two cents.

But I'm kinda "eh" over the whole Solar Panel thing.

So you were fine with them when they were in the pack, you didn't complain about them at all, but the second they're removed it's all "that was so OP right guys heheheh".

So you were fine with them when they were in the pack, you didn't complain about them at all, but the second they're removed it's all "that was so OP right guys heheheh".

I never said I was fine with them. In fact, I disabled crafting Iron and other Ores out of UU-Matter just to prevent people from getting caught in a loop of endlessly making more Solar Panels.

Only thing I can see is the troubles of setting up a moon base without a reliable source of power there. Not all engines will work on the moon, and keeping them supplied from your main overworld base can get costly and impractical.

Sure, given enough time to get something set up like a magmatic power unit works quite well. But it is not always practical until your base is already well established. having the option of a passive, if quite weak, power source to get things started would be nice to have.

The solar arrays from Mekanism are fairly weak, the adv ones only outputting up to 180J/tick compared to the output of a single magmatic engine for example, which is up to 4000J/tick. They are quite weak and take up a lot of space needing a 3x3 area available to place them. far more realistic then the IC2 ones and their single block size. And keeping the output of the solar panals/arrays low like this would be good for balance.

Atomic science, yeah that could be fun as well. Lots of interesting toys available to experiment with. A bit more available to the player late game as well.

I wouldn't mind a UU-matter analog, it was nice to be able to get to a level of power gen where you no longer had to quarry up materials.

the adv ones only outputting up to 180J/tick compared to the output of a single magmatic engine for example, which is up to 4000J/tick

Are you sure you are mathing right, magmatics output 4mj/tick not 4000 mj is the unit of energy not just j it stands for minecraft joules not mega joules. try again.

Doesn't really matter because even running 12 Magmatics in tandem and outputting 48mj/t to a Redstone Energy Cell, it still takes 15 minutes to fill the damn thing. And thats just ONE Redstone Energy Cell.

There seem to be a few....missing links in the tech tree potentials in this current Tekkit version, early power generation is pathetic compared to the previous IC2 methods (not saying I want IC2, just saying a couple steam engines outputting what one coal generator could output...and costing twice as much in resources and more floor space kind of sucks), top end power is literally what I'd consider mid tier power generation.

Anything that could potentially open up the power generation schema for this version of Tekkit could only be a good thing.

More ways to generate power are being worked on.

And does it really matter that charging a Redstone Energy Cell takes a long time? Machines don't use that much power anyway.

It does if you're building giant killer robots.

I was ruminating on giant killer robots as a possible creeper solution since there, yanno, aren't any. Shooter Carts don't count btw, the damage from those is hilariously bad and the amount of arrows, for just one cart to patrol on a 3x3 square as a defense "turret", required to kill mobs is horrifically bad.

And yes I know I have a sword and all that...but I've got science to do....thus the need for giant killer robots.

Golems wander off unfortunately.

As far as energy gen goes biofuel seems to be massively ahead of even magmatics, the way you can just stack the biofuel gens is astounding, even with just one reactor I'm running 12 generators 6 for my bases and 6 for quarries and tools(filler-powersuit recharchers), so I think our current power gen abilites greatly exceed our ability to use that power, So until there is some way to use more power I don't see the point of adding more powergen.

As far as energy gen goes biofuel seems to be massively ahead of even magmatics, the way you can just stack the biofuel gens is astounding, even with just one reactor I'm running 12 generators 6 for my bases and 6 for quarries and tools(filler-powersuit recharchers), so I think our current power gen abilites greatly exceed our ability to use that power, So until there is some way to use more power I don't see the point of adding more powergen.

Except that some of us might feel that the whole tree farm, harvester/planter solution being the ONLY viable and sustainable solution is a little limited in scope? Plus not sure about you but I wouldn't want my server to be full of 25x25 grids of trees that randomly get auto harvested, especially in an environment where people are keeping those chunks loaded 24/7, the amount of constant block change going on with multiple fully loaded tree farms chunks going 24 hours a day 7 days a week is bound to be a bigger problem with server performance than the huge solar farms run in early IC/IC2 that led to the addition of Advanced Solar's, and all those panels were doing was SITTING there. these tree farms are constantly planting, growing and harvesting trees, constantly changing the block structure of these loaded chunks.

Now don't get me wrong I think this biofuel solution is about 1000 times better than IC2's Biofuel approach...which was basically laughably incapable of being an efficient solution to even mid tier power generation requirements and completely unscalable to high tier power requirements.

But this is just the same problem in reverse. In Tekkit, you will go Biofuel, because its 100% self sustainable (which is thermodynamically impossible) and Combustion and Magmatic engine arrays are more or less pointless in comparison for the amount of space and materials required as compared to Biofuel.

The point of adding more to the power generation schema is to give people options that fit their environment or suit their engineering interests. Saying stuff like "biofuel works, just use it and stop asking for more" is kinda completely out of phase with what Tekkit has always been or at least has always attempted to be.

And that's when the topic goes right back to where it started.

The thing about biofuel power systems is figuring out how to get it working for the first time. I've tried following so called tutorials before and still haven't had much luck getting it going. And besides, what are you going to use for power until you are able to build all the equipment needed to get your self sustained biofuel power grid running?

What I was arguing againt SemiPr0 was not adding more variety of power gen, but adding as some people were asking for INCREASED power gen, as in the ability to make more, I understand the problems of having to chunkload a bunch of farms ( for the record trees may be the easiest but they are by far the least efficient way to make bio fuel, if you are interested try a 25x25 farm that has a mixture of wheat carrots potatoes and melons/pumpkins I do still keep a 4x4 of spruce trees though), but I think that if we add more methods of power gen none of them need to exceed the efficiency of biofuel, at least until there is truly a greater need for power.

jakalth: If you need help with a bio fuel setup PM me or make a new thread or something I'd be willing to walk you through it, and at least what I did until then is point of use steam engines, meaning put the engine directly on the machine that uses it fuel and water it by hand until you get some hoppers and an AQE to pump in water for you.