FPS drops / Performance problems

Furryka

Dear forumers,

Since the update (when IC2 gone and began a new era of Big Dig), I and few friends of mine started to get huge fps drops on our server. When you spawn its ok but after building few technical things, we get fps drop.

First problem was wind generators. 5 or more of them was a huge problem. Later the possible problem appeared with universal cables. Next possible thing was Obsidian chests. Every time you run across one you get a lag spike and later fps drops.

We tried to remove things, re-installed big dig pack, tried to generate new maps. It helped but not for long. After a while playing becomes painfull rather than enjoyable.

This problem we experienced on with Big Dig pack. Voltz, Tekkit never had such problems as we tested them.

I'm running 64-bit java / Core-i3-380M / 4GB / AMD Radeon HD6550M / 7 Ultimate x64/

Single player or "medium" or "low" settings gives about 30-50 fps.

Multiplayer even on "tiny" settings works from 30-40 and after about 20-30 mins drops to 1-3 fps. All the time. And i'm not the only one. Few of players run beast PCs and yet they still manage to get fps drops.

Any ideas?

Hello forumers,

So i pretty much have the same problem as furryka after the new big dig pack my fps have been dropping really low.

I was able to play MC Big Dig on highest graphics and had 100+ FPS and everything was okey but after recent updates I have to play on the lowest graphics and still after 20 minutes i have to restart tekkit because my fps drops to ~1-3. Sometimes after the FPS drop MC crashes it self and shows something like java binary code has stopped working or something like that.

I have 64-bit java / Intel I5-2310 / 8GB RAM / Nvidea GF GTX660 TI / 7Ultimate x64/

So its kinda funny that i have a beast PC and i can run every game on highest graphics on ~100FPS jet still a simple game like MC i have to play on lowest graphics and restart Tekkit every 20 minutes.

Anyone can help?

Are you running texture packs? Everytime I've seen someone complain about this type of issue it was related to Optifine/Texture Packs

You need to go into the launcher settings and set permgen size to increase. And yes optifine and texture packs do horrible things to big dig.

Not using any texture packs. Tried once that is 4x4 but it did no difference. Also laucher settings were changed and tested.

Problem is we get lag-spikes over time. If you disconnect and reconnect everything works nice and smooth for about 1-5 minutes and then when you try to move around fps keeps dropping. If you go totaly to the new generated place everything works fine. Untill you start to do anything with machines and power.

As far as we can feel - there must be never ending loop in some code or script and it makes you lag as hell. + Chunk updates act weird. You get 400 chunk updates and everything is fine, you get 0-1 chunk updates - fps 0-1. Sometimes its opposite.

As for server, it rarely get error about "Time or overloaded" thats not the case. I think the fault must be in objects (machines or energy cubes or universal wiring)

I always add Optifine (http://www.minecraftforum.net/topic/249637-152-optifine-hd-d3-fps-boost-hd-textures-aa-af-and-much-more/) right away, even though I have a pretty decent PC but there are lost of options which can speed up MC without affecting graphics.

Good optifine options:

Graphics: Fast

Fog: Off

Performance: Max FPS

Advanced OpenGL: Fast (if availible)

Smooth FPS: On

Smooth World: On

And FPS++ also works well because it uses better cos and sin formulas (http://www.minecraftforum.net/topic/1350464-15fishtacos-mods-fps-lava-decay-fog-key-and-more/)

Just to make a note here. I've noticed with Voltz that some of the mods in it cause some rather odd problems. First and foremost, I cannot run Voltz (and now Big Dig) for more than 10 minutes without the client maxing out its memory allocation and grinding to a halt. I'm now sitting at 4GB alocated in the launcher and it will use all of it in a matter of minutes. This might be the FPS drop you're talking about.

Just to make a note here. I've noticed with Voltz that some of the mods in it cause some rather odd problems. First and foremost, I cannot run Voltz (and now Big Dig) for more than 10 minutes without the client maxing out its memory allocation and grinding to a halt. I'm now sitting at 4GB alocated in the launcher and it will use all of it in a matter of minutes. This might be the FPS drop you're talking about.

You're not the only one. xexecrist had the same problem with memory overuse, even on single player. Either there is a mod causing a problem (every time checks value around chunks and that makes you freeze) or minecraft engine has reached its limits.

I always add Optifine (http://www.minecraftforum.net/topic/249637-152-optifine-hd-d3-fps-boost-hd-textures-aa-af-and-much-more/) right away, even though I have a pretty decent PC but there are lost of options which can speed up MC without affecting graphics.

How do you get OptiFine to play nice with Big Dig? I am having trouble because (I think) of the fact that OptiFine is using Forge #707 and Big Dig 1.3.9 is using Forge #717

Hmmm, this is all very weird. As I'm only using a Win8 4GB Asus laptop with 64bit Java and I've never suffered any performance issues. I'm not saying any of you aren't, Might be something in the .9 as I went upto .10 rather early/quickly. Hopefully CanVox can give some insight when he has time. :)

• 2 weeks later...

How do you get OptiFine to play nice with Big Dig? I am having trouble because (I think) of the fact that OptiFine is using Forge #707 and Big Dig 1.3.9 is using Forge #717

OptiFine 1.5.2_HD_U_D5 works with Forge #738

Decrease the amount or ram you allocate. I had mine at 6gb but it runs better at 2gb, try it, see if it makes a difference

I can agree on this, I used to use 4-5gb till I learned that 2gb of ram was all I needed, Minecraft weirded out less after this.

You're not the only one. xexecrist had the same problem with memory overuse, even on single player. Either there is a mod causing a problem (every time checks value around chunks and that makes you freeze) or minecraft engine has reached its limits.

The same thing is happening to me, ive played big dig for a good 2 weeks and now i can barely play for 5 mniutes, all my memory maxes out or something, and i freeze every 2 seconds, its unbearable, although this started after i used logistics pipes, i hope its not the case, i love that mod. hope we can find the mod or program causing the usage of all the memory

What further complicates this issue is that I've noted how its intermittent. Some days it goes for hours without reset. Then the next day, its jammed packed full of lagtastic goodness.

Also, correct. I've noticed much more behaved response of bigdig with 2GB restriction.

• 1 month later...

I have the same problem I go from 250-350 fps to a jittery 18-35 fps on bigdig with those universal cables and wind generators.

Allocated Memory: 4 Gb

Specs: 64-bit java /Intel Core-i7-3770 3.4 Ghz/ 16GB RAM/GeForce GTX 770/ 7 Pro x64/60GB SSD Cache/

Settings: All max, making them low makes a 5% difference so no point.

I have tones of those 3 things, and I'm not sure what to do. If I log-in on my laptop... its a pretty nice, foggy slide show.

Optifine for me seems to makes it worse but more stable.