[1.6.x/1.5.x] Redstone In Motion (Redpower Frames) 2.3.0.0 (October 8)

jakj

Lethosos: Actually, the engine does not need to be part of the carriage. If you watch his template carriage demo video, it isn't part of his carriage either.

Gendalph: What version of AE are you running? This similar setup worked previously with AE 10 and an old Redstone in motion, it just couldn't push through water / liquids. I'm testing with a crap-ton of mods, however. I'll try it with a new world and just a minimum set of mods and see what happens.

It's still an issue in my mod that I thought I had already fixed. Keep testing, and I'll look when I get home. The best thing you can do is give me exact block types that make it reliably crash.

There's another bug: moving ME Controller with using CC causes ME Controller to create phantom ME Controllers and conflict with them.

Try moving ME Controller down until it says "Controller Conflict". (like this peripheral.call("left","move",0,false,false))

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/17629640/RiM_bugreport/2013-07-10_23.29.37.png

After I tried to move it up (after removing sand below), I got this crash:

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/17629640/RiM_bugreport/crash-2013-07-10_23.31.08-server.txt

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/17629640/RiM_bugreport/ForgeModLoader-client-0.log

This ONLY occurs if you're using Carriage Controller

Okay, tested a few BC configurations with the experimental fix version. Seems that Iron pipes (to tightly control the flow of blocks) works quite well, where as if you used, for example Gold pipes, at the Block Breakers it will spew at varying amounts after running around the pipes. And that's while staying still. I'll test it a few more times in some other form later on, I have a few other things to worry about tonight.

I'm still testing... It definitely has something to do with the complex world I'm testing in. I'm testing my server world in single player. So there are *lots* of machines and chunkloaders all over the place, and a bit laggy.

If I start a fresh world with the same mods, it works beautifully.

I'll test more and get back.

Gendalph, does that exact configuration crash that way every time or is it random?

Minimal (I think) setup for reproducing this issue every time:

http://imgur.com/jm8UNGT

Top to bottom, left to right:

ME Cable

ME Controller

Frame Carriage

Frame Carriage

Carriage Controller

ComputerCraft Computer

On the Computer run:

lua

peripheral.call("left", "move", X, false, false)

Where X is the direction that is to the right on the screenshot, i.e. towards the computer/controller.

Starts moving fine, then crashes when the move finishes.

Notes: The cable can be replaced with other ME Blocks as far as I can tell (tested with ME Interface and ME Access Terminal). The Frame Carriage can be replaced with Platform Carriage blocks (tested) and probably other ones (untested).

Additional testcase:

Remove ME Cabel.

Move the carriage as described above.

Place an ME Block where the ME Cable would be now (i.e. next to the ME Controller).

Game crashes with the same error (invalid cast). I guess this indicates it's not necessarily something happening during the move, but some invalid state left behind after the move.

I'm so proud of the people on this site, giving me detailed and deep error reports. :-) I will work on this stuff off and on over the coming days, and hopefully work things out. I do have some other things I want to do right now also, though, since for the most part, the mod is stable.

Another crash: destroying a block that just finished (or started?) transition.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/17629640/RiM_bugreport/ForgeModLoader-client-1.log

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/17629640/RiM_bugreport/crash-2013-07-11_02.07.24-client.txt

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/17629640/RiM_bugreport/2013-07-11_02.13.19.png

I've tried to destroy redstone block right after it finished moving upwards with that whole platform.

RedNet controller was giving out pulses every tick, so movement was almost continuous... And every time I managed to destroy that block this crash appeared.

Back to crash with AE: looks like it occurs if Transition Plane tries to break phantom ME Controller.

How to reproduce:

Build this: https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/17629640/RiM_bugreport/2013-07-11_03.09.14.png

(any power source will do, just power ME Controller)

Move it down once and then move it twice in the opposite direction... Should crash now.

Phantom controllers left where real ME Controller was moved from (like a trail). They are invisible and can't be moved by carriage so they stay there forever.

Question is: why these phantom blocks don't appear when I'm using Carriage Engine?

upd: Jakj, we will break your mod into pieces and make you fix every single error! ]:->

Never would've thought I'd find such complex errors :D

Thx for your hard work!

Are you destroying things in creative mode? Because that's just not supported: If you crash by doing that, you crash by doing that. If you mean in regular survival/adventure mode, then that's a genuine issue.

I wonder why phantom things are being left behind only by AE stuff. Interesting...

You can remove the invisible blocks by creative mode or by using a screwdriver on them. Phantom blocks appear only 1) where blocks already were, and 2) where blocks will still be. This will probably change in the future, but right now, it saves a few block changes for performance's sake.

Breaking my mod to pieces is exactly what I want you to do, because this mod needs to be as stable as possible so people don't lose their shit. :P Although as always, people should be backing up, so there's no reason for them to lose much.

Hi there, great mod you've made by the way. I started using it today and have come across 2 bugs. Since the "known bugs" spoiler is empty I will mention them here

1: the template carriage type does not update a block when it moves it IF there are no blocks next to it. You can make flying water, redstone and many other weird things with this

2: the template carriage's main block (the one that is the anchor) moves though/deletes other blocks, perhaps your code assumes that all blocks next to your carriages will move with the carriage but this is not always the case. By placing a line of 3 templates, anchoring one at the end, placing a moving motor in the centre, toggling the motor with a screwdriver and then placing a lever/redstone block on the back you make a very simple drill that will keep eating its way through the map, even through bedrock

the above message is a copy->paste of the message I stupidly posted in the wrong location :)

Destroying things in creative mode [...] is just not supported: If you crash by doing that, you crash by doing that.

That's good to know. On that topic: although I wasn't breaking things, I placed them in creative mode. I just double-checked by placing them "legally", and my last post is still valid :)

Another minor thing: you might add multicore chunkloading to the list of evil OptiFine features. At least for me it breaks rendering (when placing/removing blocks). I did not read the through the complete thread, admittedly, but as I didn't see it in the first post I thought it'd be worth mentioning.

Oh and: awesome mod! :D

Update: got something else, this time it's IC2 + Carriage Controller related.

Consider this setup. Glass Fibre Cable on top of Frame Carriages with a Carriage Controller plus ComputerCraft Computer.

Moving the whole thing "towards the frame" (i.e. to the back of the computer) leads to this rendering error.

I'm not sure if this is purely visual, since IC2 logs this:

2013-07-11 05:14:32 [WARNING] [iC2] EnergyNet.addTileEntity: ic2.core.block.wiring.TileEntityCable@75b0848e is already added, aborting

2013-07-11 05:14:32 [WARNING] [iC2] EnergyNet.addTileEntity: ic2.core.block.wiring.TileEntityCable@4895bd1 is already added, aborting

This only happens when using a Carriage Controller. Using a Carriage Engine or Carriage Drive works fine.

Also happens for Copper Cables and Insulated Gold Cables.

Tested with IC2 Devbuild 1.116 and 1.117. Didn't try 1.118 because that breaks my game (changelog says something about porting to 1.6.1 so maybe it needs a newer minecraft version, not sure).

It is possible to determine which player placed a block in the world. It is not possible 99% of the time ot determine which player just gave a redstone signal or ComputerCraft command to a block already in the world.

That's all I ever meant. Same as ender chests and tesseracts - you can make them private but anyone could pump into or out of them.

Interesting movement and rendering glitches with the template carriages...none of those should actually be possible with my code, so clearly I've done something incredibly weird and have a hidden bug. I shall test.

Regarding some of these issues with the Carriage Controller...it seems that ComputerCraft is actually running its stuff in a separate thread from Minecraft, so at the time I'm moving things in the world, the world is actually in an indeterminate state. I think what I'm going to have to do is synchronize to the main Minecraft thread in my updateEntity call. I think you folks can if you want stop testing the Carriage Controller until I get that fix out; Until then, what's important to know is if any of these issues with AE come up when using a regular engine/motor as opposed to a controller.

Regarding some of these issues with the Carriage Controller...it seems that ComputerCraft is actually running its stuff in a separate thread from Minecraft, so at the time I'm moving things in the world, the world is actually in an indeterminate state. I think what I'm going to have to do is synchronize to the main Minecraft thread in my updateEntity call. I think you folks can if you want stop testing the Carriage Controller until I get that fix out; Until then, what's important to know is if any of these issues with AE come up when using a regular engine/motor as opposed to a controller.

That might well be it. I have not yet been able to reproduce the invalid cast exception in AE nor the IC2 rendering glitches with the drive or engine - and I did quite a few tests :)

Update: something new, again IC2 related. But I'm not sure if you're the one that has to fix it, since this only happens in 1.117, 1.116 works fine. Still, since this only happens when moving carriages... consider this setup, i.e. some block attached to a Platform Carriage via an IC2 Cable (doesn't have to be Glass Fibre, Copper Cable causes the crash, too). Moving the carriage crashes with this log.

This only happens for select blocks. Ones that crash are the vanilla Hopper as well as Applied Energistics' Basic Import and Export Buses (possibly others, only tested the basic ones).

Experimental ComputerCraft (Carriage Controller) fix for the synchronization; Should take care of all that AE stuff with ClassCastException and such. (The bug where the controller doesn't get its neighbour update is still there, so just break/replace if it says no or too many carriages.)

https://www.dropbox.com/s/vn1h6ke9hh44vth/RIM_CC_FIX_TEST.zip

Update: something new, again IC2 related. But I'm not sure if you're the one that has to fix it, since this only happens in 1.117, 1.116 works fine. Still, since this only happens when moving carriages... consider this setup, i.e. some block attached to a Platform Carriage via an IC2 Cable (doesn't have to be Glass Fibre, Copper Cable causes the crash, too). Moving the carriage crashes with this log.

This only happens for select blocks. Ones that crash are the vanilla Hopper as well as Applied Energistics' Basic Import and Export Buses (possibly others, only tested the basic ones).

Happens when? Before, during, after? I need more details, because my code is not directly involved in that crash so I have nothing from which to begin to trace a bug.

Experimental ComputerCraft (Carriage Controller) fix for the synchronization; Should take care of all that AE stuff with ClassCastException and such. (The bug where the controller doesn't get its neighbour update is still there, so just break/replace if it says no or too many carriages.)

Sadly the AE crash and IC2 cable oddness still occur. I even rebuilt the test carriages from scratch, just to be on the safe side (and in a different location, too).

Happens when? Before, during, after? I need more details, because my code is not directly involved in that crash so I have nothing from which to begin to trace a bug.

Right, sorry. Happens as soon as I place the redstone block used to trigger the engine, i.e. I don't see the whole thing move even one pixel before the game shows me the crash report. After reloading the world, the carriage has moved successfully, though.

Bug: Pushing chests next to other chests (in a position where they could not normally be placed) causes chests with weird inventories, invisible blocks, and ghost blocks. In this example, pushing a chest so that it lies between two other chests makes a really odd triple chest and an invisible block.

chest%20carriage%20bug.png

I'll mess with AE some more, then.

As for the chests, the vanilla code operates under the assumption that chests are always placed by a player, and that invalid configurations cannot occur. Not a bug in my code. Just don't do that. I recommend iron chests as they don't merge.

No mod worth portals is going to work with my mod without special code to update positions. I will attempt eventually to support some popular ones like portal gun and Mystcraft, but right this second I don't have time.