[1.6.x/1.5.x] Redstone In Motion (Redpower Frames) 2.3.0.0 (October 8)

jakj

could you make the template carriage origin block drop all carriage blocks that were put into it? Ie if I make a 3x3 platform and then break the block I have set at the origin block I will get 9 carriages back.

The 8 carriage you lose by doing that cost you some sticks and one piece of lapis lazuli. I think you'll live. :P

I cant get the ComputerCraft thingy working. I wrote a program which writes the direction and steps to move in a file then moves one step. In the startup file I read and decrement the counter and again move one step. If I run the program which inits the file my airship moves 2 steps. The init program moves one step. The computer reboots, the startup script moves the platform again but no second reboot. I have to manually click the computer. This is more a CC question then a problem in Redstone In Motion. Somehow CC doesn't recognize a computer running the startup script as "running". If I put another Computer on the same platform it restarts every time.

I'm getting the same thing. The carriage will move twice and then stop. It's almost like it needs a block update for the computer to re-boot as it will only move from then on if I click the computer.my code goes:

whilst true do

if redstone.getInput("back") == true then

peripheral.call("back","move",2,false,false)

end

end

I'm getting the same thing. The carriage will move twice and then stop. It's almost like it needs a block update for the computer to re-boot as it will only move from then on if I click the computer.my code goes:

whilst true do

if redstone.getInput("back") == true then

end

end

That program doesn't make sense to me. You're calling getInput on the back of the computer, which gets redstone signal, but then you're calling the controller peripheral also in the back? The controller doesn't output a redstone signal.

Hey jakj! Been testing out the Tickthreading mod to see how well it handles multithreading tile entities. Been pretty impressed so far, however it seems to be incompatible with RiM :(

This is the error log it gives me, I thought I'd show you. If making RiM compatible is completely out of your hands let me know and I'll go pester the TT guys.

EDIT: yikes, no spoilers on this Forum. http://pastebin.com/vvjkZz2q

That program doesn't make sense to me. You're calling getInput on the back of the computer, which gets redstone signal, but then you're calling the controller peripheral also in the back? The controller doesn't output a redstone signal.

I typed wrongly there. My code says the redstone input is on the left. - its a lever

Hey jakj! Been testing out the Tickthreading mod to see how well it handles multithreading tile entities. Been pretty impressed so far, however it seems to be incompatible with RiM :(

This is the error log it gives me, I thought I'd show you. If making RiM compatible is completely out of your hands let me know and I'll go pester the TT guys.

Reentrance? Fuck me. Well...I'll give it a shot, but no promises. My mod rips into the internals of Minecraft to do what it does, and it might be that the only way to get things to work in the presence of RIM is to synchronize the entire thread pool and lock it while I work.

We'll see.

Yeah, that's not something I'm going to be able to fix right now, unless there's some token I can synchronize against. What's happening is my mod is forcing the tile entity to write itself out to a saveable record, just like what happens when the world is being saved. The problem is, this Tick Threading mod of yours probably makes the assumption that the function I'm calling will never be called except by Minecraft itself during the saving process. (This is actually the same thing as the Optifine crash above, where Optifine is assuming the rendering functions will be called only by Minecraft during the normal cycle.) And I expect the Waila mod would be incompatible with TT for the same reason.

You can ask the TT guys if there's a way to synchronize tile-entity access so I can query tile entities at will; Without that, I don't see any way to make my mod compatible.

The problem persists. The code was correct in game as:

whilst true do

if redstone.getInput("left") == true then

end

end

whilst true do

end

end

Yes, I was able to reproduce the issue myself, such that I had to right-click on the computer to get it to activate, which immediately closed the gui window and started moving. I'll put it on the known-issues list and mess with it as I get time.

If you discover any further details about this problem, let me know.

Sure, I'll go ask them if they'd be willing to do that. On another note, did continuous mode motors always stop for a moment each block, or has that recently been added? I was planning on making an elevator, and while that works pretty well its not very smooth. I was just going to have a piston push a block out from the elevator shaft wall to force the thing to stop at the right floor, so that the frame wouldn't have to check for a redstone signal every block.

Yes, I was able to reproduce the issue myself, such that I had to right-click on the computer to get it to activate, which immediately closed the gui window and started moving. I'll put it on the known-issues list and mess with it as I get time.

If you discover any further details about this problem, let me know.

Will do. I imagine that it's probably just needing the block update. Maybe once the carriage has moved the controller could simulate a right click in the direction it received the code from?

whilst true do

end

end

I figured it out: It's just happening too quickly. The world needs a tiny bit of time to settle, and ComputerCraft is trying to activate the controller before the controller is completely put back in place, which sends the computer into an error state, so it keeps failing.

If you add an os.sleep command to your startup program before you actually try to connect to the peripheral, it should work. I'd say, start with os.sleep(0.1) and increase it if it still doesn't work.

Sure, I'll go ask them if they'd be willing to do that. On another note, did continuous mode motors always stop for a moment each block, or has that recently been added? I was planning on making an elevator, and while that works pretty well its not very smooth. I was just going to have a piston push a block out from the elevator shaft wall to force the thing to stop at the right floor, so that the frame wouldn't have to check for a redstone signal every block.

That was added in the current release to work around an issue with Buildcraft pipes and with rendering carriages going extremely quickly, and I forgot to put in an override option to let people do it after assuming the risk. I'll make a note to add that option into the next release.

Right now, though, the continuous mode works exactly as it always did: It just pauses. You can still do exactly what you were doing, but it just won't be smooth.

That was added in the current release to work around an issue with Buildcraft pipes and with rendering carriages going extremely quickly, and I forgot to put in an override option to let people do it after assuming the risk. I'll make a note to add that option into the next release.

Right now, though, the continuous mode works exactly as it always did: It just pauses. You can still do exactly what you were doing, but it just won't be smooth.

I seemed to remember reaching orbit on a very smooth but uncontrollable platform, I'm glad to find out I'm not crazy. Then I will keep building the elevator system the same way and trust it will be smooth again some time in the future. By the way the rendering looks great, no flickering on anything, I'm impressed.

I seemed to remember reaching orbit on a very smooth but uncontrollable platform, I'm glad to find out I'm not crazy. Then I will keep building the elevator system the same way and trust it will be smooth again some time in the future. By the way the rendering looks great, no flickering on anything, I'm impressed.

Yeah, everything works 100% the way it did before: There's just an internal countdown between actions. In addition to making Buildcraft work and making things not glitch too much while rendering, it also lets people recover from a carriage they have foolishly launched into orbit. :P But yes, I'll add an option that will say "I know the risk: Disable carriage-drive cooldown entirely".

This mod looks great! Possibly worthy of modpack addition, once modpack authors get over Redpower being gone. Of course, it can't possible be perfectly stable (I found a rather nasty dupe bug using Better Storage's Crates, for instance), but I think it's a solid mod. I'd like some of those Hardmode recipes, but I still love this mod!

This mod looks great! Possibly worthy of modpack addition, once modpack authors get over Redpower being gone. Of course, it can't possible be perfectly stable (I found a rather nasty dupe bug using Better Storage's Crates, for instance), but I think it's a solid mod. I'd like some of those Hardmode recipes, but I still love this mod!

Not perfectly stable, certainly not. It makes portal spawners from iChun's mod vomit all over themselves, for example. But "highly stable" I would say absolutely yes, unless I am informed otherwise.

Tech Testing Platform 2.1 is now available, BTW. It's got a coupla mods in it--predominantly RiM and Essentia Vitae, for obvious reasons, as well as a few tech mods that I'd forsee being used with this mod. (Don't mind Slimevoid's Wireless, last I heard ChickenBone's Wireless isn't stable enough to try it yet.)

Also, BC isn't quite working either, I just uploaded the worldfile here with a test setup for you to see. Blockspew is still occuring with BC pipes.

snip

I added harder recipes to a version. Find it here, source is included.

All changes are cumulative, looking from easy to harder.

0 (easy): The normal recipes

1 (medium): Instead of a stick in the middle of the carriage cross, an iron ingot

2 (hard): Instead of furnaces in the carriage engine recipe, pistons

3 (broken hands): Instead of iron in the carriage cross, a diamond

A diamond? Pfff, broken hands is a netherstar. :D

It is 6 diamonds per carriage - and you need stuff to craft 8 carriages to get them to do anything. That's 48 diamonds. Demanding nether stars would be more accurately categorized as amputated hands, if you ask me.