[1.6.x/1.5.x] Redstone In Motion (Redpower Frames) 2.3.0.0 (October 8)

jakj

Actually, I've found out about this mod on a Russian (!) MC forum and found this through official MCF. I think people are not interested in your mod because of two things: there are lots of frame mods, all of them are unfinished. IMO your mod is better than those out there.

About bugs: how about using bitbucket for version control and bugreports? IMO that'd be way more convenient than it is now.

I can almost guarantee that Wylker is going to do a spotlight of RIM. Might even be a good idea to contact him and point this thread out. Then again, the fact that this thread is already at 22 pages after, what, 3 weeks, is pretty good for a relatively small community (many of which never even visit this subforum to begin with). Someone's bound to notice it.

Oh, I'm definitely getting noticed: Even some Japanese sites are linking to my mod. Being Greek, though, I can recognize the situation I'm in and appreciate it: The Tortoise And The Hare. As much fun as attention can be, at the end of the day, there's really no big hurry.

Actually, I've found out about this mod on a Russian (!) MC forum and found this through official MCF. I think people are not interested in your mod because of two things: there are lots of frame mods, all of them are unfinished. IMO your mod is better than those out there.

About bugs: how about using bitbucket for version control and bugreports? IMO that'd be way more convenient than it is now.

My mod may still have some bugs in it, and performance tweaks to be made, but you can hardly call it "unfinished". From here on out, it's just steady improvement. Even if Eloraam came out with an update for Redpower later today, there would still be some people who use my mod, if for no other reason than it comes on its own instead of with a bunch of other crap.

I am disappointed that the Truss mod hasn't been updated in a while, though: That seemed to be my only direct competition. (I know Calclavia has a thing, but that doesn't really count, because it's part of a huge mod instead of just a mod on its own.)

Your mod does have plenty of things that no other frame mod has, and that I doubt will be added by Elo, even if he/she updates. Omnidirectional drives, drives that move with the structure, different kinds of structures - I seriously doubt these will be added to RP2 any time soon, if ever. Provided the mod gets enough publicity, it will become irreplaceable in the grand scheme of things.

Your mod does have plenty of things that no other frame mod has, and that I doubt will be added by Elo, even if he/she updates. Omnidirectional drives, drives that move with the structure, different kinds of structures - I seriously doubt these will be added to RP2 any time soon, if ever. Provided the mod gets enough publicity, it will become irreplaceable in the grand scheme of things.

The criticism I'm receiving of the mod is as follows:

*) People dislike the high-res textures. (I now have three people who have contributed 16x textures which will be available for use in the next release.)

*) People dislike how easy (fair enough) / cheaty (I just don't see it) the mod is. (Hardmode eventually, but still not a high priority. If it pisses people off that much, they can just throw a few nether stars in lava or something.)

*) People think it's redundant because Redpower exists. (For some abstract value of "exists".)

Honestly, I think the mod's in a good place. It still crashes with some mod blocks, yeah, and I'm today refactoring the SneakySetBlock code to do nicer things. But there are people all over the place using this mod without crashing at all, and I'm proud of that.

(I'm especially proud because I'm one of those people who never finishes anything, not even university. This (at the ripe age of 33) is the first thing I've ever actually seen to its fruition, the one thing I can actually look at and say "Hey, I did that.". It makes me feel good.)

People really do need to take control of their own play experience, though. I had a guy on YouTube complain that having all these other carriage types just cheapens the experience because "Redpower understood that creativity comes through limits and lots of diverse functionality. With only one or two frames redpower added massive numbers of features, wereas this mod adds a ton of "easy" things that feel cheap and uncreative to me.". Considering the Frame Carriage + Carriage Motor combination is a 100% (as far as I know) replicaton of RP2's frames, this complaint, honestly, is pretty stupid. "Just don't use the stuff you don't like" should be default.

There will always be people who complain. I can sort of understand the sentiment of the "one mod solves it all" issue (just look at how DW20 regressed from solving all kinds of problems with a clever combination of different mods and mechanics to TURTLES EVERYWHERE), but this mod is not the point of attack, really. Its greatest contribution to the game is the ability to move any blocks of your choosing in any fashion you want (except rotating them, but that's a limitation we have to live with). RIM in particular excels at how flexible the system is - but in the end, it only adds ONE function, even if the function is very flexible.

I, personally, adore the template carriages (not least because I was the "idea guy" that came up with them :3c), because tunnel boring machines are a passion of mine, and templates make it that much easier to make them without the annoying limiations of standard frame carriages. Then there's the fact that now your carriages can be camouflaged perfectly as ANY mod block with vanilla rendering mechanics, which opens a whole slew of possibilities of secret doors, hidden passages, flexible geometry rooms (seriously, I am thinking of making a factory that can rearrange itself dynamically to perform different tasks).

I probably shouldn't praise something or someone so directly, but it's just that RIM has greatly exceeded my wildest dreams and expectations when it comes to the simple act of moving around blocks in Minecraft.

As for the "easy/cheaty" aspect of the mod, just announce a competition or contest of sorts, for people to come up with the different recipes for alternate difficulty modes for your mod, and then implement the most reasonable ones. Your mod is not cheap in terms of wood, that's true, but that's only a problem in vanilla, without powermods like MFR, which provide logs by the stackful. And since it's almost guaranteed that people will only use RIM in conjuction with 10 other mods, it'd be nice to be able to balance this mod in regards to different configurations. Perhaps go the route of MPS or MFR, and add different recipes based on installed mods, such as:

TE

IC2

MFR

BC

Let people come up with recipe proposals, and then dance from there.

To be honest, one of the things I'm hoping for most of all is that this mod gets use in some adventure maps. Since at base it depends only on vanilla and has no upkeep requirement, in addition to the camouflage capability, some fascinating things are possible for making interesting telemorphic structures.

Are there even any adventure maps that have a mod dependency nowadays? Usually, people make do with vanilla, which is disappointing, but understandable (as it makes the simple act of playing an adventure map more complex by requiring an installation of a modpack or at least one-two mods with a fixed config).

Are there even any adventure maps that have a mod dependency nowadays? Usually, people make do with vanilla, which is disappointing, but understandable (as it makes the simple act of playing an adventure map more complex by requiring an installation of a modpack or at least one-two mods with a fixed config).

Sure there are, but yes, they're in the minority for the reasons you listed.

But now that Forge has a binary patcher and Minecraft has profiles, well, it's only a matter of time before some enterprising individual makes a modpacker that takes a setup and turns it into just a java file that can be run by anyone wanting to play the adventure map, that will create a new Minecraft profile, install and configure Forge and the adventure map's dependencies, and supply the save(s) to get started.

We're never going to have stuff like this in the majority: Just look how many people still drool over shit like the versions-old xbox edition like it's the next coming of the stay-puft marshmallow man. Quality over quantity, though: The people who use are stuff are the better people. (Everyone is entitled to their own tastes, and it's fine if somebody just doesn't like any of the mods out there, but if they don't at least acknowledge the complexity and value they add to the game, then they're basically useless.)

I had no idea that there was a certain dislike for the MCFs on this forum I haven't frequented these forums as much as I have the FTB forums and the MCFs I might have to frequent these forums some more to keep an eye out for new and upcoming mods

I had no idea that there was a certain dislike for the MCFs on this forum I haven't frequented these forums as much as I have the FTB forums and the MCFs I might have to frequent these forums some more to keep an eye out for new and upcoming mods

Also I'm gonna go and bump your thread on the MCFs good luck in seeing this mod to full fruition and I understand your pain I can never finish anything.

We also have a certain disliking for people who don't use periods at the ends of their sentences making them incredibly difficult to read as if someone just kept talking in one long incredibly unbroken sentence moving from topic to topic so that no-one has a chance to interrupt it is really quite hypnotic.

I apologize for my lack of punctuation, it has always been a short coming when I'm trying to translate thoughts to paper. I tend to speed read a lot and if you've never done it one of the characteristics of it is you basically ignore punctuation, and pauses so I don't even think to type them unless I'm really concentrating.

I apologize for my lack of punctuation, it has always been a short coming when I'm trying to translate thoughts to paper. I tend to speed read a lot and if you've never done it one of the characteristics of it is you basically ignore punctuation, and pauses so I don't even think to type them unless I'm really concentrating.

Well, at least you have an actual reason for it, instead of just the laziness of youth that a lot of people display.

Also no need for the hostility it was a minor mistake.

If you think that was hostile, I feel bad for the eventual rude awakening the world has in store for you.

Found a bug:

Added an Admin Dimensional anchor and a Wireless Reciver (Slimevoid) to a previously

working construct.

At the point that crash occurs, I have not altered the world in any way, and all I'm doing is telling the block to write out to a record. I'm 99% sure that's not actually anything to do with my mod, but rather, the other mod making assumptions about when his functions are being called.

If you can reliably reproduce the issue, try contacting the author of that mod, and if he insists it's not on his end, I'll take another look.

If people want to distribute an adventure map and required modpack, they can use the Technic Platform.

That's an excellent idea.

If people want to distribute an adventure map and required modpack, they can use the Technic Platform.

Well, I'm sure the Tech Testing Pack (new build up soon) would make for an excellent starting point for an adventure pack. Just remove some mods, add some decorative/utility mods, and it's a start. :D

Hey, for glowing blocks you should make their place holder glow with the same light level so it's not blinky when moving.

I would like to, but right now that would be a whole lot of effort to get working and would add a good bit of overhead and extra block changes to the process that make it completely not worth it.