[1.6.x/1.5.x] Redstone In Motion (Redpower Frames) 2.3.0.0 (October 8)

jakj

Could you elaborate on this new API, please? What are the planned features?

It isn't about features. It is so he does not have to rely on other peoples coding ect to update his mod.

Anyway atm even if he took out all the rp2 code it seems slime void is not responding to people at all/ are extremely delayed doing it, so he could not get permission to use the new code even if he wanted. The dev behind the wireless redstone picked a very terrible replacement.

Sorry if I sound negative and rude about slimevoid but they have many, many short comings.

On a random note why the crap do people still make modloader compatible mods...

Is immibis working on the API cos his covers are pretty nifty. I thought anyone could hook into that/any block would work if you added it to a config. TBH I'm not that fussed if I can't mount the wireless stuff on a wall or ceiling. It's the actual wirelesses of it that I'm interested in. On top of that, I was pretty sure the RP2 bit was an addon?

Yes, it was, and it was an optional module. I don't understand why chickenbones refuses to release a 1.5.2 version of WRCBE without that module.

Also, hopefully we will see WR integration with RedNet, as well as analogue signal transfer - now that these 2 main features are a staple in redstone circuitry, it'd almost be a crime not to implement them into wireless transmission.

Though, I bet that the wireless transmitters and receivers for signal bundles are going to be MUCH more expensive than those for single signals, for balance reasons. Current version of WRCBE isn't exactly cheap either, requiring plenty of obsidian and ender pearls.

If it gets too expensive, it'll be trivial to write a mod to adjust it if people want one. I myself got sick of all these mods requiring nether stars for every fucking thing and wrote a crafting recipe for them.

Yeah, it's kind of annoying how every modder seems to think that for their mod to be balanced, the recipes need a trillion diamonds and you have to kill the Wither with wheat seeds twice before you can make the tier 1 items.

Yeah, it's a disturbing trend, but people seem to want it, so I'm all for player choice. Unfortunately, these modders aren't, so they cater to only one slice of their demographic at a time. An example of the right way to do it: mDiyo changed his mod so you have to use his multiblock structure to do pretty much anything, and then he added a config option to change it back to the old way. Or when BC nerfed their crafting table into obsolescence, the Logistic Pipe people just said 'mmkay' and added their own.

These other modders are just going to have to get over the fact that, over time, the rest of us will just mod their mod.

Is immibis working on the API cos his covers are pretty nifty. I thought anyone could hook into that/any block would work if you added it to a config. TBH I'm not that fussed if I can't mount the wireless stuff on a wall or ceiling. It's the actual wirelesses of it that I'm interested in. On top of that, I was pretty sure the RP2 bit was an addon?

Even without the rp2 part it is still based on the original wireless redstone mod. And since slime void has taken over they have not as far as I can tell released a source and contacting them is near impossible.

Why would you need multiple computers? And CC-controlled drives don't even respond to redstone at all. A CC-controlled carriage needs one drive and one computer.

Because the carriage controller doesn't move with the carriages, which makes a 6 axis frame vehicle much more complicated (needing 2 carriage engines) as one side of the engine has to be touching the carriage and this can't be powered from that side. I think a that the controller carriage working like the engine as opposed to the motor makes more sense and has more possibilities. (If I'm not clear tell me and I'll post some pics to illustrate).

Even without the rp2 part it is still based on the original wireless redstone mod. And since slime void has taken over they have not as far as I can tell released a source and contacting them is near impossible.

The slime void version is not particularly favourable IMO. CB will probably update for 1.6 though. Hopefully same with xycraft.

This thing? http://www.openperipheral.info/

Looks interesting. I'll check into it later.

that's the one..

Basically you connect a modem to your controller and connect to network cable. Then in the code you wrap the network port and send commands like this net.sendRemote("<controller_id>","move(0,false)") the modems and network already see your controller blocks.. but with the rather painful ID name of JAKJ_RIM_CarriageController_X where X is the number in the world.

Again, I am speaking from not authority here.. but I would imagine that you just need to tell your controller to accept command input from the modem by exposing methods to Open Peripherals..

If you want testers just shout, you know that I am playing with CC interaction anyway :-)

This release contains BREAKING CHANGES that could send you into a crash-loop. READ THE CHANGELOG FIRST and take appropriate steps.

RECENT CHANGES (full list in "Changes.txt"):

1.0.1.1 -> 1.1.0.0

-- includes MAJOR BREAKING CHANGES so read carefully to see if any apply to you

-- also, since major portions of the code have changed, the potential for new and undiscovered bugs is high, so BACKUP YOUR WORLDS

-- BREAK ALL CARRIAGE CONTROLLERS BEFORE YOU UPDATE OR YOU WILL CRASH

-- (having them in your inventory as items is fine)

-- make sure you do not have any carriages in-transit when opening the world for the first time with the updated mod

-- configuration file has changed

-- before running the updated mod, you should delete all lines from your config file except the block and item IDs

-- completely refactored the code dealing with the formation of carriages

-- railcraft hidden/tracking blocks should now be handled, so in theory you don't need to disable that block anymore (testing needed)

-- structure carriages now accept drives on any edge or corner instead of just on the corner

-- generalized in-transit renderer so all blocks from all mods without tile entities should render without needing to be explicitly handled

-- improved capturing of entities at the start of carriage motion

** should now almost never grab an entity unless it actually is "on" the carriage in some way

-- carriage controller now acts as both motor and engine, meaning it can either stay put or move with the carriage

** new command is "move <direction> <simulation-flag> <anchoring-flag>"

** anchoring-flag: true = stay put, false = move with carriage

** if the controller moves, computercraft will still act as if it is there, so it won't be able to move it again

## you would need another computer at the new position in that case

** controller now includes error messages at each step of the process

## "false" is no longer a possible return code: either an error will be printed or "true" will be returned

-- added configuration option to control whether carriage can move through liquids or is blocked by them

-- added configuration option to control whether carriage can move through fragile blocks (like tall grass, wheat, and snowcover) or is blocked by them

KNOWN ISSUES

Fire does not render correctly in-transit.

Some vanilla blocks in-transit are not yet rendered.

Recipes do not use the Forge material dictionary.

PLANNED FEATURES

A config option to let a carriage treat blacklisted blocks as simple obstructions instead of completely aborting the motion.

(Possibly) OpenPeripherals support.

The ability to selectively whitelist/blacklist blocks in-game for each drive, in addition to the overall config-file blacklist. These blocks will always be treated as simple obstructions instead of completely aborting the motion, regardless of the setting in the config file.

A form of "sticky carpeting" to allow finer control over where on a carriage entities are grabbed.

Different styles of controlling player position during carriage movement, to try to allow more freedom.

The ability to set continuous-mode cooldown per drive instead of only system-wide.

Native-resolution (i.e., 16x) texture pack.

Omni-Wrench support.

Altering carriage textures to be compatible with colourblindness.

(POSSIBLY, NO GUARANTEE) Finding a way to make ComputerCraft computers and turtles not reboot after motion.

A visual indication of which blocks will be moved by a patterened template carriage.

An optional "hardcore" mode, for people who want this mod to be expensive to use.

for a visual representation of the patterned template blocks, maybe you could use the wrench in some way (shift click?) on the controller/engine/motor to show block outlines of which blocks are within the are.

When I put it in, you'll use the screwdriver on the template carriage and it'll render placeholders.

Also what do you mean by this? 'if the controller moves, computercraft will still act as if it is there, so it won't be able to move it again...you would need another computer at the new position in that case'

I mean if the controller moves and the computer doesn't, the computer can't access the controller because it's not there. You'll need to have the computer moved by the carriage too, and program your "startup" to reconnect to the controller.

When I put it in, you'll use the screwdriver on the template carriage and it'll render placeholders.

Perfect. Might be an idea to make the border of the boxes red or something to make it more obvious though similar to this: (world edit client addon)WorldEdit_CUI.png

I mean if the controller moves and the computer doesn't, the computer can't access the controller because it's not there. You'll need to have the computer moved by the carriage too, and program your "startup" to reconnect to the controller.

Ahh, sort of obvious really. Great to have the controller have engine features now!

Big thanks for this mod jakj. Small question: are there any plans for power/eletricity system? (i am fine with no power needed just asking)

I'm likely to eventually put in a kind of "hardcore" mode, where you have to work to use the mod, but it's a low priority.