[1.6.x/1.5.x] Redstone In Motion (Redpower Frames) 2.3.0.0 (October 8)

jakj

The issue is how I do all my calculations: I could program it to accept a command to move N blocks, but it would still do it one block at a time.
but why must there be a delay before/after moving? Sure, have the placeholder blocks move one block at a time but I can't see a reason why the animation as a whole couldn't smoothly move >1 blocks when given such command. Are there some design limitations somewhere?

I would have to adjust the placeholder blocks each step, for one thing. Also recheck for obstruction each step. And since I would no longer be forming the carriage atomically, the world could change mid-motion. In other words, I'd still be doing everything block by block. The only difference is the animation, really.

Don't forget that the Redstone signal can change at any step too.

I could maybe do some special checks for cc-controlled stuff to make it a bit smoother, but for regular engines and motors, there just aren't any short cuts to take.

Just looked up Wireless Redstone, there's one (from SlimeVoid, it operates a little bit different than Chickenbone's) that might be 1.5.2 ready. I'll chuck it into the tester pack and see. (The same post that lead me to it in Powercrystal's thread mentioned this mod, too.)

I am loving this mod! way more useful than the redpower frames IMHO.. I have just been testing on creating and have build a swimming pool that sinks 2 blocks and retracts to reveal a hanger underneath :-) Think Thunderbird 1 there :-)

I have noticed a couple of odd things, and either it's some bug or I am missing a detail again :-)

1. I have noticed that water blocks (static in my test) will block movement once they have another block above. I had assumed that it was the water block catching on the stone block above but it a) doesn't move the stone it just blocks the movement and B) replacing the stone with closed frames does not resolve this. Oh and empty the pool it all works 100%

2. This is one that I can't see any reason for. As the platform moves in any axis and even though I am stood on a totally unconnected and static bit of stone my character gets pinned and moved like I would expect where I stood on the actual platform!

Happy to upload a world file somewhere if useful, would just need to reproduce in a test build with just your mod in.

Hope this is in some way clear... it's late.

I am loving this mod! way more useful than the redpower frames IMHO.. I have just been testing on creating and have build a swimming pool that sinks 2 blocks and retracts to reveal a hanger underneath :-) Think Thunderbird 1 there :-)

I have noticed a couple of odd things, and either it's some bug or I am missing a detail again :-)

1. I have noticed that water blocks (static in my test) will block movement once they have another block above. I had assumed that it was the water block catching on the stone block above but it a) doesn't move the stone it just blocks the movement and B) replacing the stone with closed frames does not resolve this. Oh and empty the pool it all works 100%

2. This is one that I can't see any reason for. As the platform moves in any axis and even though I am stood on a totally unconnected and static bit of stone my character gets pinned and moved like I would expect where I stood on the actual platform!

Happy to upload a world file somewhere if useful, would just need to reproduce in a test build with just your mod in.

Hope this is in some way clear... it's late.

Without screenshots to be able to tell anything you're doing at all, the only thing I can say is to remind you that frame carriages, like RP carriages, move only the block touching them directly, and anything beyond that will be an obstruction. The other carriages have different properties.

If you provide pictures or video so I can see your setup and what you're trying to do, I can tell you why it is or isn't working.

jakj, you've probably been bothered by many people about this, but is there any remote chance in the future to ever unchain the player movement on top of a moving carriage? I'm asking that because somehow, RP2 managed that. It didn't always work perfectly (sometimes embedding the player halfway in a block, or else just phasing him through it), but it still was better than absolute translational immobility.

I understand your concern about non-player entities phasing through and causing all sorts of problems. But surely you can make an exception for players, with a small disclaimer on the mod page that you are no responsible for incidents if moving on top of moving carriages? This is especially important for your mod, considering the dangers of getting stuck in continuous mode, exactly how you explain it on your mod page.

jakj, you've probably been bothered by many people about this, but is there any remote chance in the future to ever unchain the player movement on top of a moving carriage? I'm asking that because somehow, RP2 managed that. It didn't always work perfectly (sometimes embedding the player halfway in a block, or else just phasing him through it), but it still was better than absolute translational immobility.

I understand your concern about non-player entities phasing through and causing all sorts of problems. But surely you can make an exception for players, with a small disclaimer on the mod page that you are no responsible for incidents if moving on top of moving carriages? This is especially important for your mod, considering the dangers of getting stuck in continuous mode, exactly how you explain it on your mod page.

Well, I just put in a way to get out of that, namely that the mod no longer stores the captured entities' IDs to disk, so if the world or chunk are reloaded, no entities will be captured, and on a server, every time you login you'll have a different entity ID, so that already let you escape.

The other way of doing it from the way I'm doing it now is to simply translate the player's current position each tick without changing anything else. You might think that would work, but there are several complications, most notably placeholder blocks and vertical motion.

First, placeholder blocks. If the player is going to have free motion, there have to be placeholder blocks, or else it would just drop you through the carriage. So then you say "so lock the Y coordinate but leave the X and Z coordinates alone and just increment them". This could be an option.

Second, vertical motion. There wouldn't be any choice here: The Y coordinate would have to be locked and maintained.

At the end of the day, I could do some testing, make some tweaks, and say "if you enable this, you get what you get". I'm all for player choice, so it's to be considered. But there's one thing I still don't understand: Why? Other than being able to escape a runaway carriage (which we already established as possible), what is the true difficulty involved in a one-second absolute translational immobility? During motion, you cannot interact with the carriage, so it's not like you could use your time flipping levers or opening chests. Being immoble doesn't restrict you from using items, opening your inventory, or eating food.

If I keep getting messaged about this, then obviously there's enough demand for the feature that it should be included. I just don't understand why people want it.

Because one of the most popular frame contraption types are all forms of air- or spaceships. Then there are the mobile housing and workshop platforms. Such contraptions typically require player movement, and their nature usually involves long periods of continuous movement in one or different directions.

By no means do I say that free movement is an absolute necessity, especially considering the amount of issues it brings. But you have to understand. People will invariably compare this mod to RP2 frames. It already has far more than RP2 ever provided. But sometimes small issues such as movement can completely deter people from using them, if they used these sorts of contraptions for something that necessitated movement while in transit.

I simply do not wish for this mod to fall into obscurity after 5 people download it.

Because one of the most popular frame contraption types are all forms of air- or spaceships. Then there are the mobile housing and workshop platforms.

By no means do I say that free movement is an absolute necessity, especially considering the amount of issues it brings. But you have to understand. People will invariably compare this mod to RP2 frames. It already has far more than RP2 ever provided. But sometimes small issues such as movement can completely deter people from using them, if they used these sorts of contraptions for something that necessitated movement while in transit.

I simply do not wish for this mod to fall into obscurity after 5 people download it.

Pff, it never got out of obscurity, because I refuse to bend over and host it on MCF instead of here, but I see what you're saying.

Maybe if I can get free movement working on continuous carriages in a non-shitty way, it'll reduce the demand for ugocraftalikeness. I'll give it a shot, anyway, and if nothing else, I can say "hey, turn it on or don't, but don't whine if it doesn't work, because at least I tried".

Probably the psychology of the thing. Having control taken away, even for a second, goes against the freedom minecraft imparts.

Yes, minecarts do the same thing, but those are minecarts and frames are notminecarts.

That's actually a really good point. Some people might feel it confining, whereas I feel it reassuring, and that is a dichotomy in its purest form. I really have no choice but a config option, then, to suit the personality of the player.

Also, you haven't even said word one about my soul shards mod and its heads, and you seemed so eager for them. :P

Hello. I really liked this mod, but the textures really put me off of using it. I like consistancy.

Welp, I saw something that was a problem to me, so I fixed it.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/trb0tvyyr6rozaf/RedstoneInMotionTextures.zip

Made everything except the movement blocks. Couldn't think of how to create them. If I think of anything, I'll draw it and post it.

Hello. I really liked this mod, but the textures really put me off of using it. I like consistancy.

Welp, I saw something that was a problem to me, so I fixed it.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/trb0tvyyr6rozaf/RedstoneInMotionTextures.zip

Made everything except the movement blocks. Couldn't think of how to create them. If I think of anything, I'll draw it and post it.

I never expected so many people to be put off by the textures. (That's how you can tell I'm a self-centered hermit.) I'm glad so many people are coming up with alternatives.

Found a bit of a crash bug, but only in SMP and i have only tried on a MCPC server jar, haven't tried a vanilla server jar yet. but any time you try to break a carriage or a motor you get this crash or if you have the motor move the carriage blocks you get this crash. it just boots you back to server selection and shows you a screen that says "Internal Server Error"

this log file is too large for non pro version of paste bin, and i didn't want to do the wall of log file thing so, Log File its a short error that starts on line 5239

and that's about all i can think of atm, hats off to ya for making this mod it will be nice to have a mining ship back.

I signed up to the forum just to tell you why I want to be able to move on your carriage. I want to make platformer-style jumping platforms in dungeons for my server-goers. That and of course the elusive Elevator. Definitely need to be able to move and maintain momentum on a moving platform in order to jump from one to another. Elevator is not so important, but would be great regardless.

A long range, flying carpet type carriage would likely end up happening. A ride in a huge blimp would be pretty boring if you can't look out the windows. Man I miss the zeppelin mod.

Also I want to second a request for MCPC+ support. That is the best server available. All the bonuses of forge, spigot and bukkit servers.

now that im thinking about it planetguy, i have over 100 mods atm and not one of them have had to be ported in 1.5. are you commenting on the current version of MCPC+ (i did forget the + in my first post) or from an older version? as things have drasticly changed over there it seems.

not that i doubt your right, i just have my money on its something dumb im doing as thats what normaly causes issues like this.

Jakj's mod isn't compatible with MCPC+ without being ported to Bukkit. You can try using BukkitForge instead if you need the plugin support.

This is 100% true, but funnily enough, this is actually a different issue. Technically, it's not a bug in my code, but it's something I'm going to have to adjust for that Forge does that it shouldn't. Once it's fixed, you can try the code again, but I make no guarantees or promises of proper function except on vanilla servers running Forge.

I signed up to the forum just to tell you why I want to be able to move on your carriage. I want to make platformer-style jumping platforms in dungeons for my server-goers. That and of course the elusive Elevator. Definitely need to be able to move and maintain momentum on a moving platform in order to jump from one to another. Elevator is not so important, but would be great regardless.

A long range, flying carpet type carriage would likely end up happening. A ride in a huge blimp would be pretty boring if you can't look out the windows. Man I miss the zeppelin mod.

Also I want to second a request for MCPC+ support. That is the best server available. All the bonuses of forge, spigot and bukkit servers.

You want to use my mod to make a Mario game? Um. To do what you want in the way you want it, I would have to search for entities in the bounding box of every single carriage every single tick, so that once they're in the area of effect, they can start simulating a solid surface for the player to "jump" on, and even that would work only for horizontally-moving platforms: You can forget about it on vertical platforms, because of the way the placeholder blocks work and having to lock the player's vertical position during motion, it just flat-out won't work, no way, no how.

Not that I'm trying to crush your dreams: I'm just saying "don't hold your breath".

A flying carpet, now, that would be doable: You could use a continuous-mode engine, and you could configure a half-second delay or so between motions so the player has a chance to manipulate levers to stop the machine if desired. No way to get it to work without that delay unless you want it to be a permanent carpet ride out to block 300,000.

*sigh* I'm really going to have to make this mod into Ugocraft some day, because even though this mod can do things Redpower never even tried, it 100% is not designed for half the things people are trying to make it do. I'm pleased by how creative people are being, though.

now that im thinking about it planetguy, i have over 100 mods atm and not one of them have had to be ported in 1.5. are you commenting on the current version of MCPC+ (i did forget the + in my first post) or from an older version? as things have drasticly changed over there it seems.

not that i doubt your right, i just have my money on its something dumb im doing as thats what normaly causes issues like this.

My mod has been confirmed incompatible with Bukkit, and I have no idea what MCPC is, but planetguy seems to imply it uses bukkit, so that's why he said that. This crash was different, though, and I can fix it. We're just saying that if you have bukkit, you'll still crash eventually.

So no mario, thats a bummer but honestly I'm not surprised. The zeppelin mod/ ugo craft seem to be something altogether different, its a shame they're unavailable to someone running a forge/bukkit server (MCPC+ is a specialized bukkit server for running forge mods natively, btw, absolutely phenomenal). Sounds like someone needs to patch in some more complex entity-to-entity collision code and make a mod the just converts the blocks into an entity until it stops. May take a stab at it myself since it's totally my dream.

As for the flying carpet. My intention would be to have it hit a docking platform at either end to stop it, I would just want people to be able to run around on it while its running. Being able to control it in-transit isn't as important. Think a zeppelin in world of warcraft, you're just along for the ride. I guess from the sounds of things jumping on to it in transit would be not doable unless it pauses every block(which is super annoying, everyone is looking for smooth motion.) or that it searches for new entities in its bounding box every tick or two like you said.