[1.6.x/1.5.x] Redstone In Motion (Redpower Frames) 2.3.0.0 (October 8)

jakj

There's no reason why that wouldn't work other than the tesseract is there? For that use a wrench turtle. Not sure what mod it is probably Open CC or Misc Peripherals but could just be thermal expansion. Direwolf did a similar thing in his SMP lets play.

EDIT: turns out he uses an engineering turtle.

you can use misc peripherals as it turns out:

• Peripheral Wrappers: You can use the following items as peripherals:

• Most Railcraft rails you can modify (set/get)
    • Portal Gun Aerial Faith Plates (setHPower/setVPower/getPower/setPowered/getPowered) and Portal Spawners (setGun/setColor/getPortal/setPowered/getPowered)
    • Thermal Expansion Tesseracts (getFreq/setFreq/getType/getOwner/getMode)

There's no reason why that wouldn't work other than the tesseract is there? For that use a wrench turtle. Not sure what mod it is probably Open CC or Misc Peripherals but could just be thermal expansion. Direwolf did a similar think in his SMP lets play

My carriages carry tesseracts without issue. The problem is he's using frame carriages, and he's got that wire going through them, which means there's no frame carriage touching the block breaker connected to the wire so it won't be picked up. What he should be doing is using a template carriage to make a bore with a roof, or he could also use any of the other types with more difficulty and a stutter-step pattern.

The easy way, though, is just make a 5x5x5 of template carriages, use the screwdriver, attach an engine, put up your machines and block breakers, put a roof on it to keep out the gravel/sand/liquids, and away you go. In fact, the way he's doing it in that picture is the only way to *not* do it.

Asking permission before adding to a mod list!? Damn...Either you are polite well past the point of absurdity, or the Minecraft modding community is so toxic that they have bruised your psyche like a solid-black banana.

It wouldn't hurt or be illogical to assume a bit of both. I like to let people know of things before I take liberties with others' stuff, even when there's a license already permitting "worse" actions. Due to particular events within the modding community, I also tend to watch my step and assume every other one is a trap of sorts. Some people like to take the words of others and twist it to suit their own needs. Though, it's only ever escalated with one person in particular and his "following".

So yeah, I'd say you're correct on probably both counts. I just have to remember that I'm posting here and not on the MCF, so I have the luxury to loosen up a little with my opinions and such. Not that I'd purposely cause trouble. :p

Kinda random but I was surprised and have been wondering why you don't have a minecraft forums post as well.

MCF punished Jakj for posting a fix for a nasty crash bug in a closed-source mod, and Jakj decided he didn't want to deal with MCF anymore after that.

Kinda random but I was surprised and have been wondering why you don't have a minecraft forums post as well.

Because MCF is run tighter than the asshole of a politician, and I've already got 2/10 infraction points on there just for trying to help other mods who hadn't bothered to update. I'm making no money off this mod, so I see no reason to bother with that pile, even if it would increase my exposure by several orders of magnitude.

MCF banned Jakj for posting a fix for a nasty crash bug in a closed-source mod.

It was a temporary ban (now lifted), and it wasn't a crash bug: It was that he'd screwed up (or failed to update) his reflection, and one feature wasn't working. Because he was catching the exception, it didn't crash, so people didn't think to check the logs, and since he'd been so silent and not bothering to update his mod (such that people in his own thread were talking amongst theirselves like he didn't exist), they thought he had actually removed the feature deliberately and were lamenting that fact.

So I fixed it. And the very day the author of the mod bothered to check his own thread, boom, I get reported and temp-banned.

I was just lamenting that different types of frames didn't work together. I didn't expect to be ridiculed for it. The front is a 5x5 array of AE transition planes, connected to a storage bus and Item Tesseract. I didn't have a source of power added to run the controller, but any number of engines could be used. I don't see anything black in the bottom left, but from the back of the bore it goes lever, engine, Stone (to prevent falling stuff from getting stuck). In the back is a single support carraige to support the line of blocks where the hole is. I KNOW this doesn't work.

Yes, I know I can use a template carraige, and at present that appears to be the only solution. It's what I'd use if I were using this mod on a survival map instead of just experimenting with it.

I was just lamenting that different types of frames didn't work together. I didn't expect to be ridiculed for it. The front is a 5x5 array of AE transition planes, connected to a storage bus and Item Tesseract. I didn't have a source of power added to run the controller, but any number of engines could be used. I don't see anything black in the bottom left, but from the back of the bore it goes lever, engine, Stone (to prevent falling stuff from getting stuck). In the back is a single support carraige to support the line of blocks where the hole is. I KNOW this doesn't work.

Yes, I know I can use a template carraige, and at present that appears to be the only solution. It's what I'd use if I were using this mod on a survival map instead of just experimenting with it.

You are using frame carriages to mount your block breakers. You have a cable running through the back of the frame carriages, therefore leaving one block breaker not being picked up by any frame carriage. You are using what I assume to be a forward-facing support carriage to attemtp to compensate for this lack of connection, which will fail because the support carriage will attempt to connect to anything touching the block breaker.

I can see what you intended to do: Keep breaking blocks until the carriage could move forward (to account for falling sand'gravel). This would not account for falling liquids, though with the changes I'm implementing in a future release, you could configure it to ignore and pass through liquids.

I'll admit: At first I had no idea why you even had the support carriage there, because the back of my brain already knew they didn't connect like that. So now I see you did actually have a good idea, and weren't just being oblivious.

I just have too much logic wrapped up in each type of carriage block, too many semantics and pieces of context dependant on the carriage as a whole that can't be realized on a block-by-block basis that would allow different frame types to interact.

So, since I only found out you had an offical release version today, threw it in the old tekkit folder and took it for a whirl, and having successfully made my first elevator, I am quite impressed, integration with rednet stuff works well, and throwing a PRC in the mix I can get smooth animation from a single pulse to lift and lower the elevator instead of just snapping the motors to continuous which worked but looked choppy and had the ride of a mechanical bull. I would comment and ask how you handle when multiple engines get a hold of the same frames, I managed to get the offset perfect in my final build but no without some extra resource expenditures, IE the carriage is 4 blocks high I needed it to go a non multiple of 4. It seems to work but it seems to bug graphically moreso than normal. overall good stuff. Mostly looking for something to make doors and elevators with, not any magical flying castles or the like so this is exactly what I needed to finish about a dozen projects and start a dozen more.

What if they both try and move it on the same tick, if two motors are on continuous and powered? It seemed to graphically make the elevator carriage jump a bit more than when I set it up on a square wave with 1 pulse ever 20 ticks.

It doesn't matter how many try to move it on the same tick, because Minecraft is not re-entrant: The first one that happens to get to it will absorb it in one atomic process, and when it releases the thread to the next block, everything's already in placeholder form and thus blacklisted.

The way the system works right now is, every time a change occurs to a block neighbouring a carriage drive, the drive schedules itself to be woken up in one tick. (This allows redstone signals to fully propagate before trying to process them. A better way to do it would be to say "wake me up when all cascading calls to neighbour blocks have been resolved" but Minecraft does not have that facility.) At some point, I will try to remove that one-tick delay for continuous-mode engines just coming off of a motion, since in that case it is the source of the update calls and knows when the last one has completed, but there is no possible way of which I know to remove the call in the case of initial signalling without causing it to activate in a lot of situations it shouldn't from the user's point of view.

I'm eagerly awaiting hardcore mode now. I think it makes sense for the engines and motors etc to need a power source. Other than that possibly a little tweaking of the recipes to tie in with some other mods might be nice.

On another note I would second CC suport for engines - would make life a lot easier!

One more thing I would suggest is maybe corners or a border to disguised carriages so it's apparent they are carriage blocks.

I'm eagerly awaiting hardcore mode now. I think it makes sense for the engines and motors etc to need a power source. Other than that possibly a little tweaking of the recipes to tie in with some other mods might be nice.

On another note I would second CC suport for engines - would make life a lot easier!

One more thing I would suggest is maybe corners or a border to disguised carriages so it's apparent they are carriage blocks.

Hardcore mode will come, and will integrate with mods like Thermal Expansion in interesting ways, but take note that it is not high on my priority list, so don't expect it super-soon.

Again, if you want more CC integration, you're going to have to tell me what you actually want that can't be better-handled by simply having a computer next to it that just listens to rednet and relays anything that starts with 'move'.

That would not only require me to implement a custom renderer instead of just changing the icons being used, it would also defeat the purpose of disguising the carriage block in the first place.

1.0.1.1 has now been released. Due to a change I made, this mod may be (but is not guaranteed to be) Bukkit-compatible (which is not to say Bukkit-ported). Anyone who crashed before should try again, and if you get a new error, tell me.

RECENT CHANGES (full list in "Changes.txt"):

1.0.1.0 -> 1.0.1.1

-- fixed a crash where I forgot to clear obsolescent tile entities when clearing blocks prior to motion

-- fixed a crash related to Silk Touch because Forge does something stupid

-- removed all reflection against vanilla classes, which may or may not provide Bukkit compatibility

-- added configuration options to control which types of entities are grabbed during motion

** note that, like everything else in the mod, these are server-side, so in singleplayer they work normally, but in multiplayer they apply to all players at once

KNOWN ISSUES

Carriages treat liquids as solid blocks and refuse to move through them.

Fire does not render correctly.

Some blocks in-transit are not yet rendered.

Drives will not work on structure carriages when placed on an edge instead of a corner.

Recipes do not use the Forge material dictionary.

PLANNED FEATURES

A config option to let a carriage treat blacklisted blocks as simple obstructions instead of completely aborting the motion.

The ability to selectively whitelist/blacklist blocks in-game for each drive, in addition to the overall config-file blacklist. These blocks will always be treated as simple obstructions instead of completely aborting the motion, regardless of the setting in the config file.

A form of "sticky carpeting" to allow finer control over where on a carriage entities are grabbed.

Native-resolution (i.e., 16x) texture pack.

Omni-Wrench support.

Altering carriage textures to be compatible with colourblindness.

Making the carriage controller able to move itself like an engine, instead of only being able to stay in place like a motor.

(POSSIBLY, NO GUARANTEE) Finding a way to make ComputerCraft computers and turtles not reboot after motion.

A visual indication of which blocks will be moved by a patterened template carriage.

An optional "hardcore" mode, for people who want this mod to be expensive to use.

Fair enough on the timescale thing. As for the engine being CC controlled like the motor can be, that would allow one computer one one side as opposed to needing multiple computers or redstone to each of the sides (except the once connected to the carriage) thus requiring another engine.

For the disguise blocks I had only really thought about it being an aesthetic feature as opposed to actually needing to be undistinguishable from other blocks (In retrospect thats a little counter intuitive). I suppose its not a problem for those who have good memory (not me!) :P