[1.6.x/1.5.x] Redstone In Motion (Redpower Frames) 2.3.0.0 (October 8)

jakj

16 "frequencies" wouldn't cut it for even a lightly populated server. Definitely not for a large server or one that has battles.

Atleast with 3 colors you have 4000 possibilities for someone else to guess before they can jump into your swap network.

Even if swap networks were private by having it record the placing player, 16 is still too few for someone who wants a transportation hub setup between a central base and many dimensions (like say a server admin may want).

I was thinking private ones really. I'm not fantastically fussed about how many frequencies there would be tbh :P I'm thinking the teleportation thing is an awesome idea though. Image being able to bring your whole base with you to other dimensions!

16 "frequencies" wouldn't cut it for even a lightly populated server. Definitely not for a large server or one that has battles.

Atleast with 3 colors you have 4000 possibilities for someone else to guess before they can jump into your swap network.

Even if swap networks were private by having it record the placing player, 16 is still too few for someone who wants a transportation hub setup between a central base and many dimensions (like say a server admin may want).

I was thinking private ones really. I'm not fantastically fussed about how many frequencies there would be tbh :P I'm thinking the teleportation thing is an awesome idea though. Image being able to bring your whole base with you to other dimensions!

Lethosos, I'm not adequately explaining the complication. I'll put up some screenshots later to illustrate.

For attuning the teleporter, you would craft anywhere from one to eight dyes with the screwdriver to get a label, then apply that label to the teleporter. That provides more than enough combinations that I can not bother locking anything by player name.

so they wouldn't be private? I think private frequencies is crucial to multiplayer -maybe a diamond to lock it to a specify player like in enderchests.

I prefer to think of it like a password. In this case, each dye can be of 16 different values, and you can have anywhere from 1-8 dyes, so that's 4,581,298,448 possible combinations.

Also, it's really fucking difficult to figure out just what player is actually trying to activate something. What if it's a ComputerCraft program? What if it's redstone on a timer? Minecraft does not track what player put down every single block. Even if it did, what if it's a lever? Anyone can click a lever. Minecraft does not track what player just clicked what lever.

I can allow the teleporter to be in a stealthy mode, which means it would not send the combination to the client for rendering (so the client would render an unknown placeholder label, and even packet sniffing would not reveal the code).

I prefer to think of it like a password. In this case, each dye can be of 16 different values, and you can have anywhere from 1-8 dyes, so that's 4,581,298,448 possible combinations.

Also, it's really fucking difficult to figure out just what player is actually trying to activate something. What if it's a ComputerCraft program? What if it's redstone on a timer? Minecraft does not track what player put down every single block. Even if it did, what if it's a lever? Anyone can click a lever. Minecraft does not track what player just clicked what lever.

I can allow the teleporter to be in a stealthy mode, which means it would not send the combination to the client for rendering (so the client would render an unknown placeholder label, and even packet sniffing would not reveal the code).

Well I suppose that is a lot of combinations. Wouldn't it be easier just to make it private by player though? That's the most secure it can be surely?

Well, you could also have the teleport source block (that's on the carriage) also have to be placed by the same player to teleport to that player's teleport destination block of whatever color. Naturally, anyone could hijack this person's carriage by rebuilding around the placed source block, but the player could just make sure their carriage is hidden if they need it to be "secure".

Well I suppose that is a lot of combinations. Wouldn't it be easier just to make it private by player though? That's the most secure it can be surely?

I just explained in detail why that is not the case. You should actually read it.

Well, you could also have the teleport source block (that's on the carriage) also have to be placed by the same player to teleport to that player's teleport destination block of whatever color. Naturally, anyone could hijack this person's carriage by rebuilding around the placed source block, but the player could just make sure their carriage is hidden if they need it to be "secure".

That is a good idea and I could do that without too much trouble.

*** EXPERIMENTAL FIX FOR BUILDCRAFT PIPE ITEM SPEW ***

https://www.dropbox.com/s/0pjbvagsgk1t17e/RIM_BC_FIX_TEST.zip

This is an experimental fix for (and for only) the case where you have something like MFR block breakers connected to buildcraft pipes, you move the carriage, and immediately when the carriage stops moving, the block breakers put something into the pipes, followed by the items spewing out of the pipes when the items reach the halfway point of the first pipe.

Please test this as thoroughly as you can, but don't put this on any non-testing public server or use on your play worlds without first backing them up.

I just explained in detail why that is not the case. You should actually read it.

You explained why you would rather do a passwords type thing. You never said anything about it being more secure. There's no way it can be more secure as 1 in 4581298448 is still a higher chance than 1 in infinity. I just thought that if you wanted to have a GUIless system then you were thinking what is the easiest way a player can do this and in my mind simply placing a block and it being automatically private is easier.

This is exactly what I had meant. Both source and destination have to be locked to the same player. I think we're all on the same page :P

Finally another idea just popped into my head. Why not have some sort of linking card. You could click the source then click the destination to link them. Maybe even use the screwdriver?

You explained why you would rather do a passwords type thing. You never said anything about it being more secure. There's no way it can be more secure as 1 in 4581298448 is still a higher chance than 1 in infinity. I just thought that if you wanted to have a GUIless system then you were thinking what is the easiest way a player can do this and in my mind simply placing a block and it being automatically private is easier.

You said wouldn't it be easier to just secure it by player, and that is what I explained, that no, it would not be, and in fact, it would be near-to-impossible and still is. NightKev's suggestion is more feasible.

Finally another idea just popped into my head. Why not have some sort of linking card. You could click the source then click the destination to link them. Maybe even use the screwdriver?

Much less flexible than using a user-specified code. Imagine trying to use ender chests when you simply had a linking card instead of could specify the colors directly. What a pain in the ass that would be.

You said wouldn't it be easier to just secure it by player, and that is what I explained, that no, it would not be, and in fact, it would be near-to-impossible and still is. NightKev's suggestion is more feasible.

I meant easier for a player and in terms of security rather than code wise. Why would it be near impossible? Things like tesseracts can be made private can't they? In regards to NightKev's idea, wouldn't both blocks be private to a player anyway if both blocks have to be placed by the same player to connect?

Much less flexible than using a user-specified code. Imagine trying to use ender chests when you simply had a linking card instead of could specify the colors directly. What a pain in the ass that would be.

Would be no more difficult than MFFS linking cards. Just click one then click the other and they are linked. If anything that's easier than enderchests. Less clicks anyway, and no colour collection hassle.

I meant easier for a player and in terms of security rather than code wise. Why would it be near impossible? Things like tesseracts can be made private can't they? In regards to NightKev's idea, wouldn't both blocks be private to a player anyway if both blocks have to be placed by the same player to connect?

Would be no more difficult than MFFS linking cards. Just click one then click the other and they are linked. If anything that's easier than enderchests. Less clicks anyway, and no colour collection hassle.

It is possible to determine which player placed a block in the world. It is not possible 99% of the time ot determine which player just gave a redstone signal or ComputerCraft command to a block already in the world.

But the point is that it's easily distinguishable which drive is linked with which, using the colour coded ones. You'll need some sort of GUI to tell that drive A Is connected to drive B, using the linking cards. That's what we want to avoid: GUIs

But the point is that it's easily distinguishable which drive is linked with which, using the colour coded ones. You'll need some sort of GUI to tell that drive A Is connected to drive B, using the linking cards. That's what we want to avoid: GUIs

This. I can easily display a colour code on the side of the teleporter using tinted grommits or bolts of different shapes for those who can't distinguish colours, or even just assign a letter or digit to each one and write it on the side.

Imagine a server that has a communal service tray (like room service at a hotel): Each 30 seconds or so, it teleports to the next available one in the world. If you want the carriage to come to your place, create a teleporter with adequate room around it of the appropriate code, and wait: On a silver platter comes power nodes you can draw from, chests you can pull from, maybe cows you can milk, or whatever.

Alot of back and forth here, would it be possible to remove from one map and rebuild itself on the second map using relative x, z positions? That sounds easier than all this linking business? More secure too as there is nothing to find...or are there limitations to the minecraft engine preventing something like this?

Edit:perhaps utilizing however minecraft generates neither portals, twilight forest generates ground portals or how galacticraft generates its landing area?

As I stated im my edit I would borrow how the neither gate spawning works to find a suitable place if that required an entity why not spawn a bogus one and iuse that for location purposes and despawn iy when the transmission is done as for what dimension you can use a simple 1 or 2 color identifier for that for either up to 16 worlds or 256 worlds for two colors.

Or you could guess and check and if blocks are in the way stop the transmission with a "something is blocking your entrence"

It's a carriage, not a tardis.

I understand the reference however I dont understand the comparison here.

I dont care how it works or if it ever does work, im just passing out possibilities on the simplest methods I can think up, you can either take the idea or leave it at the door, either way is the same to me, It is your mod not mine or anyone elses here, make it hows best for you.if the easiest thing for you is a link by all means do that. Basically teleportation vs dimensional shifting, both are awesome and never done with carriages, but neither is necessary. Do your mod your way . I would much rather have redstone in motion continued in your vision, than have you become a slave to the community, get tired of it, and quit developing it.

I've started playing with bores again. :)

I'm trying to setup my Applied Energistics based bore again, and I'm getting a repeatable crash whenever I add an ME storage bus to the carriage with a simple ME system.

http://pastebin.com/yeMAz8j3

Simple case:

3x3x2 template carriage, with 1 carriage left out of top layer where the engine will go.

TemplateCarriage.png

"Collapse" the carriage under the notch.

Collapsed.png

Engine on top of the carriage, of course.

Engine.png

Blocks on the bottom layer, ME controller, ME storage bus attached to an Ender Chest. (Crashes both with and without power to the ME system, via Tesseract, so I left that out for this example.)

Blocks.png

When you try to move the carriage, it moves, but crashes before it gets set. See crash log above. When you log back in, carriage appears moved, but Ender Chest is reset to default, ME storage bus and ME controller are facing the opposite way, and the carriage is no longer a valid carriage. (The carriage block under the engine is a normal open template carriage block.)

The culprit appears to be the storage bus. (Maybe other ME buses will have a similar problem, but the same exact setup, but without the storage bus works fine.)

This is with 1.2.0 Redstone in Motion and either AE 11c or the dev AE 11d-rc1

Thanks for all your hard work!

Woah, calm down. I'm not burning out. I just don't understand why you want to make something as complex as a carriage assembly just to teleport mostly-randomly across dimensions.

I am calm...just saying :) I never really considered it to be mostly random as if its x z relative you should know about where it ends up, I understand your tardis remark now, my thoughts were more like doc browns time machine skipping dimensions instead of time.

What could be really awesome about the link thing however is it wont really need to be cross dimension it could be used as a gravity drive of sorts between locations in a single dimension. A question nobody asked yet is would and of this be able to take entities or will it be more anything living wont go?

Sibbis: The engine needs to be part of the carriage. You have to fill in that notch with another template frame so that the engine moves *with* the carriage.

Still a good bug report, though.