[1.6.x/1.5.x] Redstone In Motion (Redpower Frames) 2.3.0.0 (October 8)

jakj

Jakj, Told the tick threading guys about the issue, and they fixed it. Don't know how, the commit that fixed it seemed to add one line of code, but either way they are now compatible.

As for everyone using slimevoid's wireless, its been causing tonnes of grief on my server. I don't think its really mcpc+ compatible.

Also, BC isn't quite working either, I just uploaded the worldfile here with a test setup for you to see. Blockspew is still occuring with BC pipes.

Well, since this is the first time anyone has given me anything at all to go on regarding the issue in all this time, I will now take a look.

Jakj, Told the tick threading guys about the issue, and they fixed it. Don't know how, the commit that fixed it seemed to add one line of code, but either way they are now compatible.

Well, that's surprising, but I'll always take good news.

Also, BC isn't quite working either, I just uploaded the worldfile here with a test setup for you to see. Blockspew is still occuring with BC pipes.

Well, the good news is I know what's doing it! The bad news is I can't do anything about it. This is the same issue with the item loss that I added the cooldown for, except in this case the cooldown doesn't help. Your block breakers are activating the moment they are being put down by the carriage, and immediately spewing into the pipe, which is still doing its internal cooldown so it doesn't handle things properly. You will notice that, once the thing has sat there for a second, if you put blocks down in front of your breakers, it then works fine.

The only way to get this working properly with BC pipes is to figure out some way to introduce a delay between putting down the carriage and having the block breakers activate.

(Of course, the best solution of all is to get Buildcraft to remove this delay. I haven't looked closely enough at the code to figure out if there is or isn't a good reason for it, but it's likely it can be fixed somehow.)

Maybe try with a different transport system? Doesn't MFR have some sort of conveyor? There's no reason it has to be quite this compact, after all. Maybe try using AE block-breakers with their cabling; Since AE combines power and transport into the same cable, you can have a solid front-facing wall of breakers without needing to have your bore side-step before moving forward.

It is 6 diamonds per carriage - and you need stuff to craft 8 carriages to get them to do anything. That's 48 diamonds. Demanding nether stars would be more accurately categorized as amputated hands, if you ask me.

Or you could call it 'GregTech mode'.

Maybe try with a different transport system? Doesn't MFR have some sort of conveyor? There's no reason it has to be quite this compact, after all. Maybe try using AE block-breakers with their cabling; Since AE combines power and transport into the same cable, you can have a solid front-facing wall of breakers without needing to have your bore side-step before moving forward.

I'll give those suggestions a try, see what happens. Just remember people will go directly to what they perceive is the easiest way to achieve their goal, and here BC pipes is the easiest to make.

I'll give those suggestions a try, see what happens. Just remember people will go directly to what they perceive is the easiest way to achieve their goal, and here BC pipes is the easiest to make.

I'm glancing at the BC code, but it's going to take me a bit to unwind that whole mess and figure out why the delay is there in the first place, plus the fact that I actually want to do more than just develop this mod right now.

It's a running joke about GregTech around here that a similar experience can be had by playing Industrialcraft with both hands broken.
GT makes the very first couple of machines a bit harder to make but shortly after that it actually generates significantly more stuff from resources than vanilla-IC does (cables, circuits, macerating, extractor stuff).

Yeah, you guys can play around with hardmode all you want, and if you come up with something people like, you can just run with it. Hardmode genuinely is on my to-do list, but it's so far down it's barely a footnote.

I'm glancing at the BC code, but it's going to take me a bit to unwind that whole mess and figure out why the delay is there in the first place, plus the fact that I actually want to do more than just develop this mod right now.

I don't mind; I suspect the problem is really in the way MFR block breakers behave instead, given from what you've described your end of the problem is. We may just have to let people know about this when building tunnel bores until it can be resolved.

I'll finish up these textures of mine and then I'll start goofing around with the other mods, now that I was able to get a copy of AE to stick into TTP.

I don't mind; I suspect the problem is really in the way MFR block breakers behave instead, given from what you've described your end of the problem is. We may just have to let people know about this when building tunnel bores until it can be resolved.

I'll finish up these textures of mine and then I'll start goofing around with the other mods, now that I was able to get a copy of AE to stick into TTP.

No, I'm 80% sure it's because of Buildcraft; I may have explained inadequately. Further examination has given me a promising idea that I will try out later today, so we can hope for the best.

EDIT: Yeah, I just confirmed it by looking at Buildcraft source code: At the time MFR is trying to stick items into the pipe, the pipe has not yet fully initialized, meaning when MFR says "are you accepting items" Buildcraft says "I don't even know what I am yet" and MFR says "okay, I'll just leave these on the floor here".

Workaround in the mean time: Use an obsidian pipe to pick up stray bits. I'll keep looking at the source code to see if I can safely manually initialize it without breaking Buildcraft to bloody bits in the process.

So I messed around a bit with MFR conveyer belts. It works fine if you block the ejection path to allow the entities to fall onto the belt and into an Item Collector, but you'd better be sure there's something underneath the belt after moving or else it'll pop itself and stuff will fall down into the hole under the bore. A similar setup with obby pipes may result in similar behavior with losing entities down an uncovered hole, so I'll reload the world from the save I gave you to see for sure.

AE Transition Planes are totally awesome, though. Disgustingly so. I might attempt an insane build or two in Creative with these. I would still recommend a stepped design for reducing costs in Survival, however.

I also finished the Dynasty-based textures for the mod as well--they're influenced by the recipes in the mod so they're interesting to look at. May I recommend adding a separate texture for the top/bottom of the Engine and Controller?

Hrm, did some various setups with obby pipe. It suffers from the same "I don't know who I am" syndrome, with the added initial effect of entity confusion; it does remember once a move happens and it recognizes entities ejected from the previous move. It will also let entities drop down a hole, so that has to be watched for as well.

Also, here's the textures I made. Dynasty-RiM

I am now working on an alpha-quality test for working around the buildcraft issue. Expect it in a few hours, unless I can't get it working. (It will be for testing only, not an official mod update.)

I had this same problem, maybe you could mention this solution in the first post for others who have optifine?

Added.

For the carriage controller direction flag, 0 seems to be down, and 1 seems to be up. On the first post, it's backwards.

Fixed.

Also, here's the textures I made. Dynasty-RiM

If you want them added to the mod, you must release them under permissive terms (WTFPL, CC, GPL, public domain, or similar).

I added harder recipes to a version. Find it here, source is included.

All changes are cumulative, looking from easy to harder.

0 (easy): The normal recipes

1 (medium): Instead of a stick in the middle of the carriage cross, an iron ingot

2 (hard): Instead of furnaces in the carriage engine recipe, pistons

3 (broken hands): Instead of iron in the carriage cross, a diamond

How did you go about changing the recipes? I still think a config for custom recipes would be ultimate and save lengthy discussions about suitable materials/mod integration etc etc.

How did you go about changing the recipes? I still think a config for custom recipes would be ultimate and save lengthy discussions about suitable materials/mod integration etc etc.

1) Open-source mod: Change it and recompile.

2) There already exist mods that remove recipes and mods that add new recipes, and both have already been linked in this thread in the past.

I figured it out: It's just happening too quickly. The world needs a tiny bit of time to settle, and ComputerCraft is trying to activate the controller before the controller is completely put back in place, which sends the computer into an error state, so it keeps failing.

If you add an os.sleep command to your startup program before you actually try to connect to the peripheral, it should work. I'd say, start with os.sleep(0.1) and increase it if it still doesn't work..

- yeah this solved it. (maybe add to code example?)

Are power requirements low down on list along with harder recipes? I think that if you added a power requirement for the main energies (UE, EU, MJ) then a config for energy consumption could let people balance the cost of using the controllers more easily.

- yeah this solved it. (maybe add to code example?)

Are power requirements low down on list along with harder recipes? I think that if you added a power requirement for the main energies (UE, EU, MJ) then a config for energy consumption could let people balance the cost of using the controllers more easily.

Power requirement is part of "hardcore mode", so yeah, it's down at the bottom. Honestly, right now the mod is balanced enough: If you feel platform carriages are too cheaty, just don't use them; If you're making decent-sized carriages with just vanilla, that's a lot of fucking wood; and other than some sort of tunnel bore (which is going to need a whole other mod anyway which probably has its own power requirement), the mod doesn't even do anything special like give you diamonds. It just moves things, which you could do yourself. The most you could say is "it's cheaper than silk touch", which is true, but it's a massive pain in the ass to do that if whatever it is needs to move a long distance.

It's on the to-do list because people want it and people deserve to get what they want when it's reasonable, but as I say, it's low on the list, because people should be able to take control of their own play experience.

Sorry, folks: I just spent over two hours testing and pouring over the source code of both Buildcraft and Minefactory Reloaded, and I've had to give up. I almost made progress when I discovered that buildcraft stores the absolute X/Y/Z positions of the items in its pipes, and when I correct those positions, the items in the pipes do behave better upon cessation of motion, but a few items also end up getting kicked out of the pipes onto the ground, whereas if I leave the wrong numbers in there, Buildcraft goes through a "warm up" period where it recalculates everything and then nothing pops out.

The Buildcraft code is a mess. I can see the glimmer of past elegance in the design, but that has long ago been covered up by the cruft and grime of iteration over time, and now it is just awful in places. I have done all sorts of debugging, tracing the exact code paths that each mod is taking, and all of my debugging output comes up as "yeah, everything is in the proper state, so it should work" and yet items still kick out.

I am stopping just short of the point of losing my mind over this code. There's no help for it but to declare this as a known issue without a fix available, and just say "you need to let the pipes sit there for at least 0.1 sec, preferably 0.25 sec, before you try to put anything in them". If at any point in the future I figure out a way to fix this, I will.

Done, just re-download it. Have fun.

Good: I'll add it.