[1.6.x/1.5.x] Redstone In Motion (Redpower Frames) 2.3.0.0 (October 8)

jakj

It crashes me on start.

cpw.mods.fml.common.LoaderException: java.lang.InstantiationException

at cpw.mods.fml.common.registry.GameRegistry.registerBlock(GameRegistry.java:232)

at JAKJ.RedstoneInMotion.Block.<init>(Block.java:15)

at JAKJ.RedstoneInMotion.Spectre.<init>(Spectre.java:7)

at JAKJ.RedstoneInMotion.Blocks.Initialize(Blocks.java:17)

at JAKJ.RedstoneInMotion.Core.Init(Core.java:26)

at sun.reflect.NativeMethodAccessorImpl.invoke0(Native Method)

at sun.reflect.NativeMethodAccessorImpl.invoke(NativeMethodAccessorImpl.java:57)

at sun.reflect.DelegatingMethodAccessorImpl.invoke(DelegatingMethodAccessorImpl.java:43)

at java.lang.reflect.Method.invoke(Method.java:601)

I altered my herp_derp() to a derp_skerp()

As terrible as this makes me, I am now going to use those as actual function names in small scripts.

Also, the test build freezes me upon startup, with a white screen.

Nevermind, I see what I did wrong, but I still don't have time to test it. Possibly later today.

Me, in the FTB IRC? I might as well just throw rolls of toilet paper at passing police cars: It would cause far less drama.

It'll be fine. I just need to sit down at some point and start grepping and grokking.

Not FTB IRC. (Which ever moron suggested that, here is a slap to the face) However you will find him in #chickenbones on irc.esper.net. He is usually there in the mornings EST time.

As terrible as this makes me, I am now going to use those as actual function names in small scripts.

I should use that as a global function into an error-reporting call. It'll just be a set of case statements of strings that throw a pre-canned error into the log relevant to what effed up.

Also your obligatory PEBCAK notification, for the rest.

This mod is awesome.

Modpack: 1.1.3 FTB Unleashed

RestoneInMotion Mod: latest as of 2013-08-23

I have one issue that I hope could be rectified through reuse of a block or addition of a block. When using a Platform Carriage if the bottom of the moving object touches the water or the ground it tries to add those blocks to the group. However, this easily exceeds the limit (5000 by default). So, could other carriage types be used to delineate when to stop adding blocks?

Right now my big tree fortress touched the water and is stuck. It is a partial of those really really big redwoods. I am having to build a submarine out of a cubic frame so i can place a layer under the fortress and then remove that layer so the water does not touch it.

Another way to help with this might be some kind of proximity sensor block. Anyway, if you already have a solution for this that would be awesome. Perhaps I just overlooked something.

This mod is awesome.

Modpack: 1.1.3 FTB Unleashed

RestoneInMotion Mod: latest as of 2013-08-23

I have one issue that I hope could be rectified through reuse of a block or addition of a block. When using a Platform Carriage if the bottom of the moving object touches the water or the ground it tries to add those blocks to the group. However, this easily exceeds the limit (5000 by default). So, could other carriage types be used to delineate when to stop adding blocks?

Right now my big tree fortress touched the water and is stuck. It is a partial of those really really big redwoods. I am having to build a submarine out of a cubic frame so i can place a layer under the fortress and then remove that layer so the water does not touch it.

Another way to help with this might be some kind of proximity sensor block. Anyway, if you already have a solution for this that would be awesome. Perhaps I just overlooked something.

Use the screwdriver to close the sides of the carriage blocks facing downward. You'll need a layer of the platform carriages supporting the bottom of the assemblage that are connected to the starting carriage block. Alternately, use support carriages that are automatically closed in all directions that aren't carrying something. (Remember that you can disguise carriage blocks' closed sides to look like anything you desire.)

Found a "bug", a Creeper exploded and all disappeared(wasent moving the frames when this happend), including quarry, chests, left some invisible boxes tho.

It didnt crash and didnt see anything on the server ether, not much to go on but..

RedstoneInMotion_1.2.1.0_mc1.5

Not a bug: Carriages have very little blast resistance. Gotta be careful around them.

Use a screwdriver to remove leftover invisible blocks.

Interesting.

What do you think about the idea of possibly implementing armor for carrage blocks, (maybe in an addon, or in the core mod), either as some sort of upgrade for exsisting carrage blocks or possibly as a different version entirely with a different crafting recipe?

Not perfectly bomb-proof armor, mind you, but maybe enough to where a single block of vanilla tnt might only take out a few blocks?

I feel like that would bring an entirely new level of depth to the mod, without being too overly complex or hard to understand. Two ideas that spring to mind are tanks/armored veicheles for bombing, and armored doors/hatches for bases. Like a portacillis for a castle? (that's what it's called, right?)

Maybe greatly reduce the movement speed of the armored blocks as a trade off for better blast/mining resistance (maybe you need a diamond pick to mine them? Maybe they use obsidian in the recipe?)

Or implement a longer cooldown time between moves? Both? Perhaps they would be unable to float over open air?

The way Minecraft works, I'd have to consume twice as many block IDs to implement armored versions. I suppose I could put blast resistance as a config option, but I'm not sure just how much it would be worth bothering with.

I'd rather just have people use more creative engineering to put blast-resistant blocks as the portcullis instead of just letting them be lazy and armoring the carriage blocks directly. There are more than plenty of carriage types to not have to make a door out of them directly.

As for a tank...yeah, that's not within the scope of the mod, but if you get one working anyway, good on you.

The way Minecraft works, I'd have to consume twice as many block IDs to implement armored versions. I suppose I could put blast resistance as a config option, but I'm not sure just how much it would be worth bothering with.

I'd rather just have people use more creative engineering to put blast-resistant blocks as the portcullis instead of just letting them be lazy and armoring the carriage blocks directly. There are more than plenty of carriage types to not have to make a door out of them directly

*smacks self*

:derp:

I just turn on environmentally friendly creeper option.

@jakj,

I was hoping the other blocks worked like that. One issue though, is if you want a stronger block on the outside, but you have to use the carriage block to stop the addition of blocks added to a Platform Carriage then that kind of makes the bottom weak. Unless that blocks that allow one layer of blocks that are touching stop the progression of the Platform Carriage blocks after the one block. Is that the case? Or is the carriage blocks being closed that stops the progression?

BTW, I tried setting my max blocks to 20000 and I still cannot move a whole natura redwood tree... Dang those things are huge!

if you want a stronger block on the outside, but you have to use the carriage block to stop the addition of blocks added to a Platform Carriage then that kind of makes the bottom weak. Unless that blocks that allow one layer of blocks that are touching stop the progression of the Platform Carriage blocks after the one block. Is that the case? Or is the carriage blocks being closed that stops the progression?

Frame carriages connect only one block out, so you can have a layer touching the ground that shields the carriages from damage. Alternately, use template carriages, and you can embed the patterned template carriage deep inside your structure.

After setting max to 40K on blocks and moving a Natura Redwood I found it takes almost 30 seconds per move. If anyone wants to try this that is the type of delay you will get. So I have set my maxes back to 5000 and will pursue making a pretend Natura Redwood after I build a movable structure to remove the leaves and branches. That should give me lots of room at the top inside the fake leaves area for more rooms. Or I will forego the leaves and keep it bare and scraggly looking.

Placing a Portal Gun Mod "Portal Spawner" on a frame and moving the frame, causes the Spawner to lose its state and become unusable until destroying and replacing the Spawner.

Placing a TF Teleporter on a frame and moving the frame, causes the Teleporter to lose its state.

Is there a teleporter based mod that can be used to get back on the frame after it has moved??

After setting max to 40K on blocks and moving a Natura Redwood I found it takes almost 30 seconds per move. If anyone wants to try this that is the type of delay you will get. So I have set my maxes back to 5000 and will pursue making a pretend Natura Redwood after I build a movable structure to remove the leaves and branches. That should give me lots of room at the top inside the fake leaves area for more rooms. Or I will forego the leaves and keep it bare and scraggly looking.

In a future update (hopefully soon but no promises), I'm adding teleportation support, so if you just want to move huge parts of the world from one part to another, you will be able to do it relatively quickly.

Placing a Portal Gun Mod "Portal Spawner" on a frame and moving the frame, causes the Spawner to lose its state and become unusable until destroying and replacing the Spawner.

Placing a TF Teleporter on a frame and moving the frame, causes the Teleporter to lose its state.

Is there a teleporter based mod that can be used to get back on the frame after it has moved??

These are already issues well-known and listed for quite some time. I keep forgetting what it's called, but there's a block from a mod that basically does the right-click use action on an item, letting you put an actual portal gun in it and activate it by redstone.

@jakj,

I am still not understanding how to stop the progression of the blue frame.

Observe:

frame_trouble1.png

The issue is I am using the blue frame to grab the blocks (up to 5000 of course). Then I am using the orange frame to grab the dirt. (I also tried with orange frame closed on the bottom.) I was under the impression that the other frame blocks would stop the progression of the blue frame from further picking up blocks past themselves. This is not the case.

So how do I make the blue frame not pick up blocks past a certain amount? I know you said something about closing the bottom of the frame, but then I have to have blue frames on the bottom or wherever I don't want to pick up more blocks. No way to coat the outside with some nice armor.