[1.6.x/1.5.x] Redstone In Motion (Redpower Frames) 2.3.0.0 (October 8)

jakj

Sounds good to me.

I just wish I had time this weekend to mess around with it. But alas, I must take the family out camping.

Oh, I'm sure that as soon as I think it's fully functional and release it, I'll immediately get six crash reports within an hour. :P You can come back to when it's stable.

Suggestion: don't worry about checking for air blocks where there is an entity. That's their problem if they don't take extra precautions to ensure safe transport. :lizard:

True, but I still have to check for clearance for the blocks themselves. It would be a rum thing to just overwrite bits of the world.

Well here's the video of the quarry in action, at least the inside it view not the remote control, and again I haven't done anything with videos before so I apologize if its bad, I used bandicam to record and then converted it down to a smaller codec so it would be alot smaller/quicker to load, if desired I can make another link with a better quality and PM it.

Edit: Though after asking a friend who plays on the server their thoughts, they make a good point, the video would be alot better/to the point if I started the quarry by the ground and not where I normally have it. I'm going to make another one so it's shorter and to the point, but if you skip to ~2:35 in the video thats about where it starts digging down.

Edit2: Had the before said friend upload the videos to his youtube account so they don't need to be viewed off dropbox

In the air (old):

RIght above the ground (better):

Holy crap dude! That is the coolest quarry I have seen to date. It is way cooler than the traditional quarry systems. This is by far one of the best mods ever made for MC. I never did get into quarries or frames with RP. I mostly was a turtle guy. But these frames are just neat. I am still thinking about eating those big redwoods (not the natura, the biomes o plenty redwoods) with a frame system. I am thinking turtles, but the diamonds would be spendy for a whole 4x4 grid of them. They would never wear out though. The frames would make them need no fuel too.

Holy crap dude! That is the coolest quarry I have seen to date. It is way cooler than the traditional quarry systems. This is by far one of the best mods ever made for MC. I never did get into quarries or frames with RP. I mostly was a turtle guy. But these frames are just neat. I am still thinking about eating those big redwoods (not the natura, the biomes o plenty redwoods) with a frame system. I am thinking turtles, but the diamonds would be spendy for a whole 4x4 grid of them. They would never wear out though. The frames would make them need no fuel too.

Thankies, I have a few of those quarries built around my world/mystcraft ages, usually I just carry a wireless turtle on me for the purpose of remote controlling the quarry (in the original video that 'waiting for command' was the remote command listener I kept terminating after a move because I forgot to shut that off when I made the video).

The quarry's also send a message when they are halfway done (finished one part of a round-trip movement) or all done moving, so when controlling them remotely it is easy to tell when it's done to move it and start another round.

The main issue with using turtles for the "drill heads" of a frame quarry is when they move, you'll need to have code that can handle the fact that they will be restarting every time their moved (computercraft limitation), but with the turtles the code would be alot simpler then the frame mover itself since all it really needs is to have "dig direction" in startup with a long enough delay for it to do that in the frame mover itself.

Edit: Well that and emptying them, thats why when I found the AE block breakers I loved them since one cable to one of them and they are all connected, and instantly break & send the item to whatever storage its made to send it too.

Edit2: Cutoff overlong ramble about an old 1.4.7 redpower frame quarry and how RIM+AE is so much easier and better overall, and thank you for making this mod.

Yay, I just discovered a new shitty problem with Minecraft! When storing an ItemStack to disk, it truncates the int to a short (making it 16 bits intead of 32). Fuuuuuuuuck Notch's lack of foresight, really. So yay.

This is actually an undiscovered issue with this mod, in that if you were to decorate a carriage block with a block type that has a very high ID (anything above 255), it will work fine when placed on the ground, but if you save and load with it in item form in your inventory, it will actually fuck up completely and give you a different item back. Isn't that great. This problem is also limiting how many dyes can be used to label translocators.

I am temporarily putting checks into the recipes to prevent you from making item stacks that won't save to disk. I'll put in a config option later that says "I understand the risk and I will be sure to always put things down on the ground immediately after crafting them or else not complain when I lose it" to somewhat work around it.

(In case you're wondering why I don't just use NBT to store the value, I can, and I used to, but it made nothing stack properly because Minecraft has a shitty implementation of checking for NBT-tag equality, so I stopped.)

In better news, the update is almost done, and I'm just putting the finishing touches on it now. The last really annoying bug I was trying to work through was the one I just described. Stay tuned!

Release 2.0.0.0 is finally out, several whole days after I said it would be. Guess I learned why Blizzard avoids giving hard ETAs!

Welcome to being able to send anything anywhere at any time. (Also, more than likely, welcome to fifty bugs or glitches I didn't discover in my own testing. Yay!)

1.5.x

1.6.x

RECENT CHANGES (full list in "Changes.txt"):

1.2.1.0 -> 2.0.0.0

-- EXPECT UNDISCOVERED BUGS BY THE PLENTY

-- BACKUP YOUR WORLDS

-- DO NOT USE ON STABLE PUBLIC SERVERS UNTIL 2.0 LINE HAS BEEN OUT AND BUG-FREE FOR A WHILE UNLESS YOU LIVE ON THE EDGE

-- DO NOT HAVE CARRIAGES IN-MOTION WHEN UPDATING

-- support for Minecraft 1.6.x added

** support for Minecraft 1.5.x will be removed when support for Minecraft 1.7.x/2.0.x/whatever added

-- fixed typo: should be "Carriage Motor", not "Carriage Drive"

-- cleaned up a bunch of messy/crappy code

-- added a good bit more robustness against garbage input and other-mod shenanigans

-- removed legacy conversion of old decorated carriage blocks stored as items

-- removed legacy conversion of old decorated carriage blocks in the world

-- moved some things around to reduce redundancy and increase performance slightly

-- added Carriage Translocator

** teleports carriage between locations and dimensions

## does not yet teleport entities (like players) with the blocks

** can be labelled (like channels)

## default label is blank (effectively "channel 0" )

## craft translocator with dyes to add to label

%% each dye can be added once

%% 16 possible dyes effectively acts as a 16-bit number, making 65,536 possible channels

## channels can be made private to the player who placed down the translocator

%% craft redstone comparator with translocator to make private

%% will be locked to player name who places the translocator in the world

== anyone can activate translocator if they can apply a redstone signal to it, but it will teleport only to translocators of the owning player

## craft translocator by itself to remove label and privacy flag

** requires empty air on the destination side

## will not teleport even into grasses or liquids

** chunk containing destination translocator must be loaded or Bad Things will probably happen

## specifically, it is possible for a carriage to teleport into nothingness and be permanently gone on rare occasions if the destination is not loaded

%% I cannot yet prevent this

** if more than 2 translocators of the same label and privacy status are in the world, no guarantee is made as to which destination is chosen

-- added ability to deactivate sides of drives (except Carriage Controller)

** sneak-activate with screwdriver to activate/deactivate side

** a closed side will still accept a redstone signal but will ignore any carriage block touching it

** enables the creation of segmented crane arms and other things

** carriage drive will still refuse to operate if more than one -active- side is being touched by a carriage block

-- added temporary check to decorated-carriage and labelled-translocator recipes to dodge new Minecraft flaw (read Known Issues)

KNOWN ISSUES

*-*-* THINGS THAT ARE BUGS THAT WILL EVENTUALLY BE FIXED *-*-*

I have discovered a (stupid) limitation in Minecraft, that 4-byte damage values on item stacks are truncated to 2 bytes when being stored to disk. This means that certain dyes will not work for labelling translocators, and blocks with very high block IDs will not work for decorating carriage blocks. Until this can be resolved by fixing Minecraft (somehow), the recipes simply prevent you from crafting items that can't be stored properly to disk. I will add a configuration option that lets you override this check if you wish to make use of the full range of blocks for decorations or dyes for labels, but you use the option, you will have to be careful to always place your blocks down on the ground immediately after crafting them (because they are safe in block form but not in item form).

Anything that already uses a display list to render (like the ghost blocks of a patterned template carriage) will not properly render in-transit.

Transparent blocks (like water) render in a bit of a wonky fashion in-transit.

*-*-* THINGS THAT ARE NOT BUGS BUT HOPEFULLY WILL EVENTUALLY BE FIXED *-*-*

Portal spawners from iChun's "Portal Gun" mod do not yet work on carriages. Try finding some way (possibly using additional mods) to activate a portal gun directly instead.

Anything using Forge's "multipart" API (such as the newest ChickenBones wireless redstone) do not yet work on carriages.

*-*-* THINGS THAT ARE NOT BUGS THAT PROBABLY WILL NEVER BE FIXED *-*-*

If you are using Optifine and get an error with the word "ConnectedTextures" in it, either disable connected textures in Optifine or disable/remove Optifine.

ComputerCraft programs that are carried by carriages and interact with the carriage's drive, need to have a delay added to their "startup" program to give time for things to settle before trying to interact again. Try "os.sleep(0.1)", and increase that number if it still doesn't work. (The more overloaded your machine or Minecraft is at the time, or the more computers or turtles you have on the same carriage, the higher this number will need to be. Making the number higher than it needs to be is fine: Too much won't hurt, but too little will.)

Computers on carriages that are running at the time of motion will reboot after motion, and run their 'startup' program. (Computers that are off at the time of motion will remain off.)

If a carriage is moving continuously, and the continuous-mode delay is set to 0, tile entities (like chests) will not render properly after the first motion until the carriage stops. This is purely cosmetic, and does no harm. To prevent this, make sure the continuous-mode delay is greater than zero. (The more Minecraft, your system, or the server is overloaded, or the longer delay there is between you and the server, the higher this number will need to be.)

PLANNED FEATURES

Some way for a translocator in the world to display its label.

The translocation of entities (e.g., players) along with blocks.

Redoing and simplifying the 'move' command to make it more intuitive and easy to use.

A config option to specify whether in-transit rendering of a carriage continues or pauses when there is severe lag.

The ability to set block or item IDs to 0 to prevent their being registered.

Swapping the names of platform and support carriages to reduce confusion in the future.

The ability to remove bedrock from the blacklist if desired.

A config option to let a carriage treat blacklisted blocks as simple obstructions instead of completely aborting the motion.

The ability to selectively whitelist/blacklist blocks in-game for each drive, in addition to the overall config-file blacklist. These blocks will always be treated as simple obstructions instead of completely aborting the motion, regardless of the setting in the config file.

A form of "sticky carpeting" to allow finer control over where on a carriage entities are grabbed.

Different styles of controlling player position during carriage movement, to try to allow more freedom.

The ability to add additional continuous-mode cooldown to individual drives.

An optional "hardcore" mode, for people who want this mod to be expensive to use.

** can be labelled (like channels)

## default label is blank (effectively "channel 0" )

## craft translocator with dyes to add to label

%% each dye can be added once

%% 16 possible dyes effectively acts as a 16-bit number, making 65,536 possible channels

## channels can be made private to the player who placed down the translocator

%% craft redstone comparator with translocator to make private

%% will be locked to player name who places the translocator in the world

== anyone can activate translocator if they can apply a redstone signal to it, but it will teleport only to translocators of the owning player

## craft translocator by itself to remove label and privacy flag

PLANNED FEATURES

Some way for a translocator in the world to display its label.

Awsome, I am looking forward to testing this is out right away, thank you.

Would having a GUI type interface for the block where you could set the label/whether it is private or not/see what its label is without breaking it possibly be an option?

Awsome, I am looking forward to testing this is out right away, thank you.

Would having a GUI type interface for the block where you could set the label/whether it is private or not/see what its label is without breaking it possibly be an option?

I like to avoid GUIs whenever possible. I'll probably add a craftable label at some point, though, that lets you apply a new pattern inline.

I like to avoid GUIs whenever possible. I'll probably add a craftable label at some point, though, that lets you apply a new pattern inline.

Could have intereaction with other blocks do it for you. Overwrite the contents of a sign (or a sign clone block) when it is placed on the side or top of a translocator with the active dyes and public/<playername> settings. Then it only has to worry about that stuff on neighbor changes.

Could have intereaction with other blocks do it for you. Overwrite the contents of a sign (or a sign clone block) when it is placed on the side or top of a translocator with the active dyes and public/<playername> settings. Then it only has to worry about that stuff on neighbor changes.

That's a good thought. My original (and the most obvious) idea would be to just draw the label somehow on the side of the block, which works great for some of the texture sets but for others is actually impossible. I'll give it more thought as time goes on; In the mean time, though, it's really not too much of a hardship to just remember.

Yay, I just discovered a new shitty problem with Minecraft! When storing an ItemStack to disk, it truncates the int to a short (making it 16 bits intead of 32). Fuuuuuuuuck Notch's lack of foresight, really. So yay.

This is actually an undiscovered issue with this mod, in that if you were to decorate a carriage block with a block type that has a very high ID (anything above 255), it will work fine when placed on the ground, but if you save and load with it in item form in your inventory, it will actually fuck up completely and give you a different item back. Isn't that great. This problem is also limiting how many dyes can be used to label translocators.

I am temporarily putting checks into the recipes to prevent you from making item stacks that won't save to disk. I'll put in a config option later that says "I understand the risk and I will be sure to always put things down on the ground immediately after crafting them or else not complain when I lose it" to somewhat work around it.

(In case you're wondering why I don't just use NBT to store the value, I can, and I used to, but it made nothing stack properly because Minecraft has a shitty implementation of checking for NBT-tag equality, so I stopped.)

In better news, the update is almost done, and I'm just putting the finishing touches on it now. The last really annoying bug I was trying to work through was the one I just described. Stay tuned!

Yeah some of my items render as different items now :/ is there a way to fix this?

Yeah some of my items render as different items now :/ is there a way to fix this?

What? No existing items should have been affected. All I did was change the recipes to not let you craft new ones that would do it. I need more detail on what you're seeing.

Tried putting the new version on my 1.5 server and it seems to not even load/show up. I try to search for any of the items or search by mod and NEI doesn't find anything.

http://www.mediafire.com/view/qr8wk4zsuzxspii/ForgeModLoader-server-0.log

2013-08-30 19:29:51 [iNFO] [JAKJ_RedstoneInMotion] Activating mod JAKJ_RedstoneInMotion

Perhaps you have some sort of odd conflict?

2013-08-30 19:29:51 [iNFO] [JAKJ_RedstoneInMotion] Activating mod JAKJ_RedstoneInMotion

Perhaps you have some sort of odd conflict?

I am having this same issue and have tried a clean 1.5.2 with only codechickencore, nei, and redstone in motion

here is the log

https://www.dropbox.com/s/gvonbfr355bpdnm/ForgeModLoader-client-0.log

SNAG-0800.png?w=AAASqpdD6lTDHPRdikRjl-ws

SNAG-1084.png?w=AAD9s56lAAjLikYFPTfYl-eD

What the crap is going on? How can the mod successfully load with not one single exception thrown, and yet simply do nothing at all? I can't even begin to imagine how to diagnose such a thing.

Has anyone besides me managed to get the 1.5.x version running? Are you experiencing a similar issue with the 1.6.x version? We have to figure out some sort of commonality as a starting point to figuring this out.

I haven't tried manually crafting one yet, but I can confirm they don't show up in NEI nor creative mode, creative mode with nei installed and with nothing but forge and redstone in motion for 1.5.

I don't have 1.6 currently to test that but it probably works fine as phoenix987 said it did for them.

Edit: Here is the ForgeModLoader log if it might help any, pardon the disabeld mod list, I disabled them but didn't remove them, the world however is completely new: https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/45914214/ForgeModLoader-client-0.log

What the crap is going on? How can the mod successfully load with not one single exception thrown, and yet simply do nothing at all? I can't even begin to imagine how to diagnose such a thing.

Has anyone besides me managed to get the 1.5.x version running? Are you experiencing a similar issue with the 1.6.x version? We have to figure out some sort of commonality as a starting point to figuring this out.

I sent you a message on how i got it working. all i did was change a few lines slightly.

Okay, I looked through what you put up, and you didn't change anything, as far as I can tell. All you did was tweak things so they worked in your particular IDE, but not a single line of code (that I can see) is actually different.

I downloaded a 100% fresh Forge and redid *everything*, squeaky out of the box.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/3euu7ymlib9v28q/TEST_RedstoneInMotion_2.0.0.0_mc1.5.zip

Anyone who is having trouble getting the 1.5.x version to work, try that one instead and see if it does. Because if it doesn't...I don't fucking know. It works for me, none of you posting error logs actually have any errors and they all show my mod loading fine without issue, and clearly all past 1.5.x versions have been working up until now.

Somehow a corrupted dev environment is the only way I can explain it working with a recompile, so now I used a new dev environment. Here's hoping...

Okay, I looked through what you put up, and you didn't change anything, as far as I can tell. All you did was tweak things so they worked in your particular IDE, but not a single line of code (that I can see) is actually different.

I downloaded a 100% fresh Forge and redid *everything*, squeaky out of the box.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/3euu7ymlib9v28q/TEST_RedstoneInMotion_2.0.0.0_mc1.5.zip

Anyone who is having trouble getting the 1.5.x version to work, try that one instead and see if it does. Because if it doesn't...I don't fucking know. It works for me, none of you posting error logs actually have any errors and they all show my mod loading fine without issue, and clearly all past 1.5.x versions have been working up until now.

Somehow a corrupted dev environment is the only way I can explain it working with a recompile, so now I used a new dev environment. Here's hoping...

This works.