[1.6.x/1.5.x] Redstone In Motion (Redpower Frames) 2.3.0.0 (October 8)

jakj

I came across something interesting while using your mod in conjunction with a mod of my own. I am making a group of blocks that are meant to be unmovable by regular players, and machines such as pistons, etc. Frames of course are able to move these blocks, unless I specifically blacklist the block IDs.

I am using the following method in my block classes:

public int getMobilityFlag()

{

return 2;

}

With some further testing I have found frames will also move Thaumcraft Warded Stone/Glass, IC2 Personal Safes, and certain unmovable vanilla blocks such as end portal frames. In context of SMP servers moving these blocks can be problematic.

You have made a special blacklist for bedrock, and the configuration option for blacklisting IDs works quite well, but I am curious if it's intended functionality to override the mobility flag or just a side effect of how your mod works? Do you think it's reasonable to expand the bedrock blacklist to include all blocks with a raised mobility flag?

Thank You for all the hard work, players on my server are really enjoying your mod!

I came across something interesting while using your mod in conjunction with a mod of my own. I am making a group of blocks that are meant to be unmovable by regular players, and machines such as pistons, etc. Frames of course are able to move these blocks, unless I specifically blacklist the block IDs.

I am using the following method in my block classes:

public int getMobilityFlag()

{

return 2;

}

With some further testing I have found frames will also move Thaumcraft Warded Stone/Glass, IC2 Personal Safes, and certain unmovable vanilla blocks such as end portal frames. In context of SMP servers moving these blocks can be problematic.

You have made a special blacklist for bedrock, and the configuration option for blacklisting IDs works quite well, but I am curious if it's intended functionality to override the mobility flag or just a side effect of how your mod works? Do you think it's reasonable to expand the bedrock blacklist to include all blocks with a raised mobility flag?

Thank You for all the hard work, players on my server are really enjoying your mod!

I've never even heard of that function/flag, which means I didn't account for it in my code. In the Minecraft world (and, to a lesser degree, in the Java world), all prohibitory actions must be opt-in, meaning that (for the most part) you have to deliberately check for restrictions in order to be restricted by them.

If you were to give me a list of all "if X is Y then it's meant to be immovable just like bedrock" functions/flags/properties/whatevers and how to use them, I could easily iterate through the entire set of 4096 blocks and add them all to the blacklist. (The user would still be able to turn off this blacklisting in the config, of course, but obviously this would be fine for servers since the blacklist (and almost every other setting) is server-side.)

I've never even heard of that function/flag, which means I didn't account for it in my code. In the Minecraft world (and, to a lesser degree, in the Java world), all prohibitory actions must be opt-in, meaning that (for the most part) you have to deliberately check for restrictions in order to be restricted by them.

If you were to give me a list of all "if X is Y then it's meant to be immovable just like bedrock" functions/flags/properties/whatevers and how to use them, I could easily iterate through the entire set of 4096 blocks and add them all to the blacklist. (The user would still be able to turn off this blacklisting in the config, of course, but obviously this would be fine for servers since the blacklist (and almost every other setting) is server-side.)

I kind of figured that might be the case, I only came across the flag after looking for a way to limit pistons.

I wonder what the best method to check the flag would be, I can look into that a bit.

From my understanding 0 = regular movement, 1 = piston drops the block instead of moving it, 2 = fully immobile, only a value of 2 seems relevant.

Thanks

Applied Energetics + RedstoneInMotion

Transition Plane + Frames + small AE system as storage... 2013-09-09 12:10:06 [iNFO] Attempted to place a tile entity (appeng.me.tile.TileChest@7e2c5305) at 615,32,-636 (LEVER) where there was no entity tile! 2013-09-09 12:10:06 [iNFO] Chunk coordinates: 608,-640 2013-09-09 12:10:06 [sEVERE] java.lang.Exception 2013-09-09 12:10:06 [sEVERE] at net.minecraft.world.chunk.Chunk.func_76604_a(Chunk.java:1071) 2013-09-09 12:10:06 [sEVERE] at net.minecraft.world.World.func_72837_a(World.java:3487) 2013-09-09 12:10:06 [sEVERE] at JAKJ.RedstoneInMotion.MotiveSpectreEntity.Release(MotiveSpectreEntity.java:147) 2013-09-09 12:10:06 [sEVERE] at JAKJ.RedstoneInMotion.MotiveSpectreEntity.func_70316_g(MotiveSpectreEntity.java:71) 2013-09-09 12:10:06 [sEVERE] at net.minecraft.world.World.func_72939_s(World.java:2743) 2013-09-09 12:10:06 [sEVERE] at net.minecraft.world.WorldServer.func_72939_s(WorldServer.java:881) 2013-09-09 12:10:06 [sEVERE] at net.minecraft.server.MinecraftServer.func_71190_q(MinecraftServer.java:845) 2013-09-09 12:10:06 [sEVERE] at net.minecraft.server.dedicated.DedicatedServer.func_71190_q(DedicatedServer.java:318) 2013-09-09 12:10:06 [sEVERE] at net.minecraft.server.MinecraftServer.func_71217_p(MinecraftServer.java:741) 2013-09-09 12:10:06 [sEVERE] at net.minecraft.server.MinecraftServer.run(MinecraftServer.java:625) 2013-09-09 12:10:06 [sEVERE] at net.minecraft.server.ThreadMinecraftServer.run(ThreadMinecraftServer.java:16)

Applied Energetics + RedstoneInMotion

Transition Plane + Frames + small AE system as storage... 2013-09-09 12:10:06 [iNFO] Attempted to place a tile entity (appeng.me.tile.TileChest@7e2c5305) at 615,32,-636 (LEVER) where there was no entity tile! 2013-09-09 12:10:06 [iNFO] Chunk coordinates: 608,-640 2013-09-09 12:10:06 [sEVERE] java.lang.Exception 2013-09-09 12:10:06 [sEVERE] at net.minecraft.world.chunk.Chunk.func_76604_a(Chunk.java:1071) 2013-09-09 12:10:06 [sEVERE] at net.minecraft.world.World.func_72837_a(World.java:3487) 2013-09-09 12:10:06 [sEVERE] at JAKJ.RedstoneInMotion.MotiveSpectreEntity.Release(MotiveSpectreEntity.java:147) 2013-09-09 12:10:06 [sEVERE] at JAKJ.RedstoneInMotion.MotiveSpectreEntity.func_70316_g(MotiveSpectreEntity.java:71) 2013-09-09 12:10:06 [sEVERE] at net.minecraft.world.World.func_72939_s(World.java:2743) 2013-09-09 12:10:06 [sEVERE] at net.minecraft.world.WorldServer.func_72939_s(WorldServer.java:881) 2013-09-09 12:10:06 [sEVERE] at net.minecraft.server.MinecraftServer.func_71190_q(MinecraftServer.java:845) 2013-09-09 12:10:06 [sEVERE] at net.minecraft.server.dedicated.DedicatedServer.func_71190_q(DedicatedServer.java:318) 2013-09-09 12:10:06 [sEVERE] at net.minecraft.server.MinecraftServer.func_71217_p(MinecraftServer.java:741) 2013-09-09 12:10:06 [sEVERE] at net.minecraft.server.MinecraftServer.run(MinecraftServer.java:625) 2013-09-09 12:10:06 [sEVERE] at net.minecraft.server.ThreadMinecraftServer.run(ThreadMinecraftServer.java:16)

*sigh*

1) Use code tags so I can actually freaking read it.

2) Post the full forge log ("ForgeModLoader-client-0.log"). The FULL log, not just what looks like an error. If you have played since the crash, the log will no longer contain the error, so you'll need to make it crash again.

3) Post a screenshot of the crashing carriage before you move it so I can see what blocks are where.

I kind of figured that might be the case, I only came across the flag after looking for a way to limit pistons.

I wonder what the best method to check the flag would be, I can look into that a bit.

From my understanding 0 = regular movement, 1 = piston drops the block instead of moving it, 2 = fully immobile, only a value of 2 seems relevant.

Thanks

I'll have to check the vanilla classes to see how it uses the flag, because it won't be useful if it ends up giving lots of false positives. Then again, I could skip the check for anything in the net.minecraft namespace...

How to switch the indicators "public", "private to self" and "private to other"?

To make a translocator's label private, craft it with a redstone comparator. "private to self" means it's using your private channel, and "private to other" means it's using the private channel of someone else. "public" means it's not using a private channel at all.

Perhaps you should put in a message every time your mod hits an error telling people where to report it. It might not catch all the errors, such as errors caused by other mods involving RiM, but perhaps it'll make a few more people notice.

been getting this crash pretty consistently, always happens when i try to move with a translator attached to the template carriage, but not the first time it moves, usually takes a couple to crash it ( yes even knowing about the crash i stupidly forget to remove the translocator occassionally)

https://www.dropbox.com/s/e65usy77jkn6o6l/ForgeModLoader-client-0.log

been getting this crash pretty consistently, always happens when i try to move with a translator attached to the template carriage, but not the first time it moves, usually takes a couple to crash it ( yes even knowing about the crash i stupidly forget to remove the translocator occassionally)

https://www.dropbox.com/s/e65usy77jkn6o6l/ForgeModLoader-client-0.log

It's trying to render the translocator before the server has reinitialized it from its motion, and I (stupidly) forgot to check for that. Will be fixed in the next release.

I am currently trying to understand why this setup is not working.

The right side runs fine, but if I try to make the elevator move up with peripheral.call("bottom","move",1,false,false), it gives me an error of "No carriage or to many carriages attached to controller".

Nevermind, I managed to get it working. The controller was registering a carriage that was closed as a target. Just hand to switch it and the computer.

Here's another one:

http://aiminecraft.com/home/m/12489167/article/1732335

I'm rapidly coming to the conclusion that the entire Internet is laden with stupidity.

I must ask, how the hell did you even find this? I'm the owner of said site, and I never brought this to your attention as it only happened with mcpc+, and not with forge alone. I no longer have the crash reports, but if you want them I might can dig them up. Seems a little harsh to just assume I'm stupid without even knowing what lead to the decision.

Edit: Updating to 2.1.0.2 seems to have fixed it. But I can not find the old crash reports, as we just moved servers. I will wait for your next release and try putting it on the live server. And thanks for your work on this mod, I love it. Just caught me a bit off guard that you some how saw some post I made on a website for like 15 people Lol. Was never meant to be any kind of "bug report".

Even maor edit: Found this crash report on an old server back up. It looks like this it the one that rolled back the chunk after the restart, but I cant be for sure. I no longer have the forge log, its long gone. Crash happened on its first move, I don't have a picture of it, but this is close to what it looked like.

All I do is occasionally google "Redstone in motion" and that came up. I just kind of feel a bit resentful when casual searches of my mod by the public result in people saying my mod is unstable and shouldn't be used, but those people don't even bother to take the time to tell me so I can either fix it or show them what they're screwing up.

It's hard enough to get my mod in use by the public when I'm associated with Technic, don't use MCF, and am viewed as a minor rogue element and overall a nasty person by a lot of the "bigs" of modding.

Crash. I can't even get a screenshot anymore. But the contraption involves multiple mining wells, a carrage motor, and thermal expansion conduits and tesseracts (item and energy). I have an advanced computer set to output a redstone signal when the mining wells are done to the motor to move the frame, and it had been running perfectly fine for multiple processes before crashing instantly.

Link to download client log:

https://docs.google.com/file/d/0BwTzuAMJKyYeNGFSd1BiZFhRUlU/edit?usp=sharing

Please let me know if there's anything else I can provide to help remedy the situation. This initially occured on version 2.1.0.2, and I tried downgrading to 2.0.0.0 for some reason with no luck.

That error indicates that somehow the blocks between my mod and that mod are getting Frankenstein'd together somehow. I saw people reporting that error earlier in the mod's history but not recently until now.

I notice an indication of excessive server load before that exception. Does this happen regularly or only under heavy load? Can you get it to happen 100% reproducibly with a particular arrangement of blocks, or is it intermittent?

When precisely does it happen: Before, during, or after a motion? What (if anything) is left behind: Is the carriage mostly intact, is it completely gone, or are the invisible placeholder blocks left?

Can you reopen the world without crashing? If yes, do you notice any specific block missing?

All I do is occasionally google "Redstone in motion" and that came up. I just kind of feel a bit resentful when casual searches of my mod by the public result in people saying my mod is unstable and shouldn't be used, but those people don't even bother to take the time to tell me so I can either fix it or show them what they're screwing up.

It's hard enough to get my mod in use by the public when I'm associated with Technic, don't use MCF, and am viewed as a minor rogue element and overall a nasty person by a lot of the "bigs" of modding.

If you don't mind:

Why don't you use MCF and why do some "big guns" look at you that way?

I don't give a crap about anyones opinion when it comes down to something I enjoy.

And I enjoy this mod.

If you don't mind:

Why don't you use MCF and why do some "big guns" look at you that way?

I don't give a crap about anyones opinion when it comes down to something I enjoy.

And I enjoy this mod.

Because the "Big Guns" are too caught up in their new found internet fame.

Hey jakj I broke your mod :D

it broke four times on me, once when my carriage was far away digging at the earth, chunkloaded, it destroyed the state of all machines, for example the transition planes I was using for digging got rotated, and cable didn't want to connect to each other, besides my template carriage main block, was reverted to normal template carriage block, thus being unable to move the carriage, and I lost the carriages used to build it

second crash, about 30 minutes later, after rebuilding the machine:

working ok for about 15 chunks, I was monitoring it, I noticed a patch of unloaded chunks, look in the ss album

as I guessed the carriage just went into unloaded chunks area, crashing the game

ftb log:

http://pastebin.com/AbRtKzCD

pics!

http://imgur.com/a/72tk7

I logged in after the crash, the machine was OK! I figured I'd leave it be, placed a portal gun portal and jumped to my base, which resulted in yet another crash, possibly beacause chunks were unloaded and loaded again by the chunkloader

another log:

http://pastebin.com/jKZ7t6PF

Mini crash upon reopening world, may or may not be linked

http://pastebin.com/adnVRQ5W

After second reopen the world loaded, I went to check on the bore, and it was in disarray, lost all its state, see the pics for more description!

the modpack is direwolf 1.5.2

Let me know if I can assist somehow :)

I hope you can fix this! :D maybe some sorts of chunk controll?