Thoughts so far?

Onikrex

Personally, I think it is an awesome mod with some nice potential.

My only complaints are that, at the risk of sounding like a puss, the game seems slightly more difficult than I'd like. (I'm on a singleplayer, if that makes a difference.) It seems like EVERYTHING is booby-trapped, so it makes me paranoid to explore things. It seems like the only way to get decent gear is to do dungeons, but I've had trouble doing the dungeons, even with diamond gear, because of the sheer amount of mobs spawning. I really liked exploring in FTB ultimate, but here it just seems like if I move anywhere, I'm at a huge risk of losing everything.

A lot of things are loading incorrectly, aswell. I've seen so many battle towers that have been completely destroyed by loading incorrectly. I've braved a few, but am mostly rewarded by empty chests.

So, what about it do you like and do not like? Any neat tips you have for people? Any secrets you've found? Any cool seeds? c:

I do agree with you. Everything seems more difficult. I believe Hexxit was made for multiplayer, honestly. Everything is a lot more difficult, definitely. I've died SO many times already and lost so much stuff, but there's so much loot/ores that losing it isn't much of a problem. I've tried raiding a Walker Castle with FOUR people and we all got owned. We had Frek... I'm not gonna even try to pronounce/spell it... the ice/meteor type armor made of crystals. Still got owned. Diamond armor? Nope. You really have to TRY to be successful. I like it, though. :) I LOVE a challenge and honestly this is a real challenge, especially when it's with friends. I also hope that the top-notch armor isn't too OP and makes you invincible. I've had so many issues though... My server crashed due to a Turtle Boss and leaves our server unplayable. :(

I like the modpack thus far, it's a nice new mix of mods. The minimap thing is actually kinda nice once you get used to it. I've always used Rei's Minimap, but this map actually allows you to use it as a map, scroll around, and place waypoints accordingly.

Now, on the topic of difficulty, I'm WAY up there with you. I was on PEACEFUL and almost died multiple times due to the mobs that would spawn by proximity. The archers could harm you even though the melee mobs could not. They're also incredibly powerful and the knockback, like any other skeleton, is ridiculous at times. The sheer numbers of them and the armor that they're equipped with make them even more difficult. So, I would like the difficulty to be toned down a little bit so that playing this solo is actually possible. I would like to play on easy, at least, but the difficulty takes all the fun out of it. I'm more of an easy-going player and, although a challenge here and there is acceptable and welcome, I cannot find anything fun about dying repeatedly.

Now, onto other subjects, there really should be a book that you get at the start, much like the one you get for the odd weapon-crafting mod, that explains how to obtain souls, blood, etc, and what they are used for. I certainly wish that I knew, but I don't. So, maybe if someone could post a starter guide on the forum, that would make the transition from the usual to the unusual much more smooth. Just my own personal opinion. And of course, it's not shoved in people's faces, so those who don't want to be told how to make a wood shovel don't have to be told and can find it out on their own.

Besides all of that, I like the distribution of ores and the Zelda mod, too. I wasn't expecting that one! The damage indicators mod is VERY welcome. It helps me know which weapons are truly doing the best when I've suddenly been introduced to a few unknown types. I've only played the modpack for two or three hours, so there's still much more to see, but thus far, it's a promising one!

Two problems with thaumcraft though, Technic can't get perms for it and it doesn't have spells, only items that generate spell effects "wand of lightning".

For anyone who loves magic, spell casts without having to use items and depending only on your mana is a more gratifying experience.

I can see the point, but it generally bothers me when a spell requires an essence to be used, thus making me carry around a stack or two of items just so I can use a spell. Thaumcraft, I just make a wand, pop some Repair on it, and have good ol' time. Plus, I like the golems.

I like the modpack thus far, it's a nice new mix of mods. The minimap thing is actually kinda nice once you get used to it. I've always used Rei's Minimap, but this map actually allows you to use it as a map, scroll around, and place waypoints accordingly.

Now, on the topic of difficulty, I'm WAY up there with you. I was on PEACEFUL and almost died multiple times due to the mobs that would spawn by proximity. The archers could harm you even though the melee mobs could not. They're also incredibly powerful and the knockback, like any other skeleton, is ridiculous at times. The sheer numbers of them and the armor that they're equipped with make them even more difficult. So, I would like the difficulty to be toned down a little bit so that playing this solo is actually possible. I would like to play on easy, at least, but the difficulty takes all the fun out of it. I'm more of an easy-going player and, although a challenge here and there is acceptable and welcome, I cannot find anything fun about dying repeatedly.

Now, onto other subjects, there really should be a book that you get at the start, much like the one you get for the odd weapon-crafting mod, that explains how to obtain souls, blood, etc, and what they are used for. I certainly wish that I knew, but I don't. So, maybe if someone could post a starter guide on the forum, that would make the transition from the usual to the unusual much more smooth. Just my own personal opinion. And of course, it's not shoved in people's faces, so those who don't want to be told how to make a wood shovel don't have to be told and can find it out on their own.

Besides all of that, I like the distribution of ores and the Zelda mod, too. I wasn't expecting that one! The damage indicators mod is VERY welcome. It helps me know which weapons are truly doing the best when I've suddenly been introduced to a few unknown types. I've only played the modpack for two or three hours, so there's still much more to see, but thus far, it's a promising one!

I think I'm going to do what you did, and play on peaceful. I just can't see myself doing ANYTHING note worthy on anything but. My biggest issue is that you need good armor and weapons to get into dungeons, but you only find good armor and weapons inside dungeons.. And the void. But.. screw the void. Screw it hard. I got lost for like 2 hours in there with no idea how to get out.

The difficulty is for sure Multiplayer geared. It's a risk=reward adventure pack. Home should be little more than a treasure room and armoury. A place to dump all your dungeon spoils before eating and suiting up to go out again.

Of course if you're not up to the challenge there are probably configs you can edit. :getout:

I think I'm going to do what you did, and play on peaceful. I just can't see myself doing ANYTHING note worthy on anything but. My biggest issue is that you need good armor and weapons to get into dungeons, but you only find good armor and weapons inside dungeons.. And the void. But.. screw the void. Screw it hard. I got lost for like 2 hours in there with no idea how to get out.

There's for sure some difficulty, but the trick is pretty simple. Don't engage anything as difficult as two skeletons until you have decent armor. You can MAKE decent armor pretty quickly, too. Diamond is pretty early game in Hexxit, because of the de-restricted ore height.

I've tried raiding a Walker Castle with FOUR people and we all got owned. We had Frek... I'm not gonna even try to pronounce/spell it... the ice/meteor type armor made of crystals. Still got owned. Diamond armor? Nope. You really have to TRY to be successful.

As an aside, according to the information on the mod's page, that ice meteor armor is one of the weakest out there. You'll want the other two types if you are going to use meteor armor. Diamond also seems to be in a much lower tier of armor as well. Personally I'd rather save the diamonds that I'd used to make diamond armor and instead put those towards the custom Hexxit armor sets, which are pretty nice.

What I really wish existed was a guide to Harken Scythe crafting - all the images on his Minecraft forums page are down due to bandwidth, and they don't really explain much about how to collect souls/blood/whatever.

As an aside, according to the information on the mod's page, that ice meteor armor is one of the weakest out there. You'll want the other two types if you are going to use meteor armor. Diamond also seems to be in a much lower tier of armor as well. Personally I'd rather save the diamonds that I'd used to make diamond armor and instead put those towards the custom Hexxit armor sets, which are pretty nice.

It worked wonders, but some of the mobs one hit us and since "mini-bosses" spawn randomly but still look like regular mobs, just have a huge health bar, it gets confusing when four people are just in there swinging their swords and everyone dies...

Really as it is now, you have to go into dungeons for good loot, but you can't go into dungeons without good loot...

Still managed to pick some nice things up. Three staffs, magic boomerang, etc. Really nice stuff. I just wanna know how to get Hexxit/c Essence for my Scale Armor. :)

Hexxit Essence comes from Hexbiscus flowers, which are quite rare. I want to clarify, btw, that everything you can get from dungeons is absolutely craftable. There may be a handful of exceptions here and there (I put some Better Dungeons mob weapons into dungeon chests and I'm not sure if those are craftable, but they're not that awesome either).

The "WHY IS EVERYTHING COVERED IN MONSTERS ON PEACEFUL" part definitely threw me off. I almost ragequit after getting camped by a bunch of fully armored/shielded skeletons in the first 10 minutes, but decided to gear up with carefully controlled mining instead of trying to explore right away, which was really, really helpful. The only problem I'm having is trying to figure out all the relative strengths and weaknesses of all the new armor and weapons, so I'm just stockpiling stacks of ingredients until I can tell what's what.

Hexxit Essence comes from Hexbiscus flowers, which are quite rare. I want to clarify, btw, that everything you can get from dungeons is absolutely craftable. There may be a handful of exceptions here and there (I put some Better Dungeons mob weapons into dungeon chests and I'm not sure if those are craftable, but they're not that awesome either).

Hexbiscus flowers?... If they are rare, I've yet to encounter them and I've explored quite a bit even in creative. (The moment I get pissed of getting constantly killed means creative get my stuff back mode. :P) Do they spawn in the world, dungeons, what? I'm intrigued.

Definitely make sure you grab a shield too.

I've always preferred the Battle Gear mod for dual wielding and such... Just imagine dual wielded rapiers! (I'm a RuneScape kiddie so that's why it appeals to me. :P) But it's discontinued for now and Asgard Shield is apparently pretty good, but I have no idea how to use the dang shields. The thread for it doesn't help. :(

Hexbiscus flowers?... If they are rare, I've yet to encounter them and I've explored quite a bit even in creative. (The moment I get pissed of getting constantly killed means creative get my stuff back mode. :P) Do they spawn in the world, dungeons, what? I'm intrigued.

They spawn on the surface, on grass, they're like ordinary flowers only very rare. They're blueish-purplish and have a tall stem. Breaking them gives you Hex Essence- 4 hex essence and a diamond makes a hex diamond. Each piece of armor requires a single hex diamond. Hex essence and diamonds are also featured in the loot tables of BD dungeons, as well as the golem chest and upper floors of battle towers.

I've always preferred the Battle Gear mod for dual wielding and such... Just imagine dual wielded rapiers! (I'm a RuneScape kiddie so that's why it appeals to me. :P) But it's discontinued for now and Asgard Shield is apparently pretty good, but I have no idea how to use the dang shields. The thread for it doesn't help. :(

While using a compatible weapon, with an asgard shield in your hotbar, holding right click switches to your shield instead of blocking.

This modpack seems really cool so far, there's a lot of new mods I've never used before. The first one that stood out to me was tinker's construct, since you start with a tutorial book for it. I really like the tools that you can make with it, and it's a good sink for lapiz and redstone. My TC sword breaks way too fast given how many dungeons I go through, I don't know if there's an easy way to repair it other than by carrying a workbench around, as we go through a ton of swords and being able to field-repair it would be so helpful.

Is there an early ranged weapon? I miss the boomerangs from Balkon's Weaponmod. Would be helpful taking out archers on unfavorable terrain.

This modpack seems really cool so far, there's a lot of new mods I've never used before. The first one that stood out to me was tinker's construct, since you start with a tutorial book for it. I really like the tools that you can make with it, and it's a good sink for lapiz and redstone. My TC sword breaks way too fast given how many dungeons I go through, I don't know if there's an easy way to repair it other than by carrying a workbench around, as we go through a ton of swords and being able to field-repair it would be so helpful.

Is there an early ranged weapon? I miss the boomerangs from Balkon's Weaponmod. Would be helpful taking out archers on unfavorable terrain.

I guess you mean one that doesn't take string? I'm not aware of one. As for the TC field repair, I think you gotta carry a workbench around, but I believe you can upgrade weapons with a diamond to increase durability.

Well, threre is the magic boomerang. There are also bows. But, seeing as there is a copious amount of ore everywhere, the boomerang is easy to make and well worth it, in my opinion.

I guess you mean one that doesn't take string? I'm not aware of one. As for the TC field repair, I think you gotta carry a workbench around, but I believe you can upgrade weapons with a diamond to increase durability.

I actually haven't messed with the Tinker at all yet. Would you mind giving me a quick overview of it? Everyone seems to love it, but my thing was that it was stuff like "cactus sword" and I skipped over it on the thought it would be really weak :U

The cactus sword would probably be really weak. :V

My understanding is the in-game books provide all the learnin' you need. Read the book you start with, and then it can be crafted into a new book (stick it in your crafting grid and the output is the next book), and there's a third book too you make the same way.