Tekkit Bukket Files?

kyle939

Hello,

I come here with a question, and I am not sure where the best place to ask is, seeing as the forums has some weird names etc, so I do not know what is what.

Anyway, I run a Bukkit server because it is just in all ways better... Any way.

I seen Tekkit and what it can do and I was wondering... Is there a way to have tekkit installed to my server without forcing every single person who joins to install it?

It is a stupid idea forcing all who join to have a mod installed to use it, which is why I am wondering is there some sort of way I can install a mod if you like.... So anyone can join and not have to install anything.

The sole reason I host a server with friends is so they do not need to download mods as well as me, and I just host them all for them, you know?

I hope to hear good news, but I seriously doubt that some reason!

Thank you!

The sole reason I host a server with friends is so they do not need to download mods as well as me, and I just host them all for them, you know?

Their machines would need the Tekkit files anyway, the question is when and how they're downloaded.

One thing I have wondered though is why Minecraft can't take cues from the server. In older versions of Counterstrike (I'd guess the newer ones too) if a server ran any mods and an unmodded client tried to join the client would automatically download the mod files from the server whilst trying to join. That meant the server admin was solely responsible for handling the mod files and that clients didn't need to worry about getting the right versions, updating their files, etc. because they'd all be downloaded/updated when they joined the server.

At a wild guess I'd say MC has to preload some mod files at launch so it can't download and use mod files without a restart, but it would be handy if it could.

kyle, the answer to your question is no. There is currently not a way for one person (or server) to host a specific setup and everyone else would just automatically download, install and play.

This is why modpack launchers got so popular. They actually make it easy for you to set up a server with mods, and then tell your friends to just "install Tekkit" instead of telling them which versions of what mods to install. Like Teraku said, it's 2 simple clicks in the Technic Launcher to get a client running Tekkit ready to go. They have done all of the work for you and your friends so you can just play.

• 2 weeks later...

kyle, the answer to your question is no. There is currently not a way for one person (or server) to host a specific setup and everyone else would just automatically download, install and play.

This is why modpack launchers got so popular. They actually make it easy for you to set up a server with mods, and then tell your friends to just "install Tekkit" instead of telling them which versions of what mods to install. Like Teraku said, it's 2 simple clicks in the Technic Launcher to get a client running Tekkit ready to go. They have done all of the work for you and your friends so you can just play.

This is what I wanted to know.

Thank you very much. I think I will stay away, I refuse to install tekkit and force other people to do the same just to load into my server, it is a stupid idea. Sorry but forcing others to install just if they want to build for fun and not want tekkit... No!

To the guy who posted first about viruses.. I have no idea what the hell you are on about and there are no viruses in any of the mods I have downloaded from Bukkit.

Thank you very much. I think I will stay away, I refuse to install tekkit and force other people to do the same just to load into my server, it is a stupid idea. Sorry but forcing others to install just if they want to build for fun and not want tekkit... No!

To the guy who posted first about viruses.. I have no idea what the hell you are on about and there are no viruses in any of the mods I have downloaded from Bukkit.

Honestly, I don't know what the problem is. Installation literally takes one click. Do you want them to cut it down to zero?

The Technic team isn't some magical group of wizards who can somehow make clients automatically download mods, they just put modpacks together (And occasionally put a homemade mod in).

I think I will stay away, I refuse to install tekkit and force other people to do the same just to load into my server, it is a stupid idea. Sorry but forcing others to install just if they want to build for fun and not want tekkit... No!

That's a bit of a confused rationale. Installing any mods is changing the game. Install enough and you're effectively playing a different game. If you want to play the original game, cool. If you want to play a different version of that game, also cool. But it's a bit odd that you'd expect to be able to have your cake and eat it. Is it stupid to "force" people to install CounterStrike if you were running a CounterStrike server and they wanted to play Half Life 2 Deathmatch?

Honestly, I don't know what the problem is. Installation literally takes one click. Do you want them to cut it down to zero?

The Technic team isn't some magical group of wizards who can somehow make clients automatically download mods, they just put modpacks together (And occasionally put a homemade mod in).

I am against it because I do not believe in basically forcing people who do not want it installed, to install it to play on a server.

I have many friends who do not want Tekkit, but like to play on my server and that being said I host all the plugins on my server so they do not need anything at all. They just press play and away they go, the server files are stored on mine and managed by me. That is my issue.

It is alright, I just will not play Tekkit. I am not forcing people to install something just to play on a game. No other games does it, unless you select DLC in a game, like Grid 2 for example. If you own the DLC you can deselect it so others can join, not forcing anyone because we all have the same game.

If Tekkit made a Bukkit plugin that an admin simply puts in a plugin folder, I bet that tekkit would go sky high with people downloading.

No other games does it, unless you select DLC in a game, like Grid 2 for example. If you own the DLC you can deselect it so others can join, not forcing anyone because we all have the same game.

Every other game does it. Tekkit is DLC. You can "turn on" Tekkit on your server or you can "turn it off" and run vanilla Minecraft. Anyone connecting to the game needs to have the same files as the server otherwise it doesn't work. The Tekkit Launcher is ensuring that the players have the correct files.

What you seem to be wanting is to be able to have Tekkit as optional in-game without having to download anything other than the default Minecraft client. If you were playing any other game and you didn't have the map that the server was running would you expect to be able to play on it without having to download something?

Then isit. I download plugins from bukkit. Store them in my plugins folder, load the server fine and people are able to join fine...

That is the best way, not forcing everyone to download it. Absolutely stupid idea, hence why people HOST servers, so no one needs to download the files to play with others. Think logically!

I host a server specifically so others can join freely with plugins installed and play happily without any worries or extras needed!

That is the best way, not forcing everyone to download it. Absolutely stupid idea, hence why people HOST servers, so no one needs to download the files to play with others. Think logically!

I host Source servers, a Bukkit server and a modpack server

On the Source servers people have to download the maps, after they have downloaded the game itself, this is done in game but still needs to be done

It is however optional, they could not connect to my server, at no point have I, the host, forced them to download the map, however, even though I am host I still require that download to be done

On the Bukkit server this is not the case, because it runs between the server and the client, changing the data being sent and received, but I am still the host and they still have to download the game itself

On the modpack server everyone that wants to play on there must download the launcher and my pack, but I am still HOST

3 instances of hosting, 3 different degrees of download

Please learn from this, Hosting a server does not mean you are handling all of the content for the player

The client mods are necessary because the server can't teach the unmodified client how to use the mods

In Source the client has all the content, same as tekkit, only it is part of Vanilla

With Bukkit what you are running is a hooking system, similar to SourceMod for Source games

The client needs nothing because it is hooking the data, modifying it, and passing it on

It's pretty safe to say that all plugins add nothing "new" to the game but rather manipulate what's already available in the default game. Mods are adding something new, something that the client doesn't have access to by default. If the server has a mod installed that adds a new block the client doesn't know what to do with that information because it can't find it. It would either have to consult the server every time it needed that block (as would every other client connected to the server) OR the mod also gets installed locally, saving everyone a lot of bother.

I would love the ability to have the server automatically download any necessary missing files to the client but Minecraft is pretty cobbled together as it is so we work with what we've got. As it is Tekkit runs really pretty tightly and easily.

If you don't want to "force" people to play a modded game that's fine but expecting people to be able to play a significant amount of new content with the default program is just naive.

Also, what Maxis010 said.

Then isit. I download plugins from bukkit. Store them in my plugins folder, load the server fine and people are able to join fine...

I host a server specifically so others can join freely with plugins installed and play happily without any worries or extras needed!

Seriously, what? You don't understand how Bukkit plugins work. They don't add new content like mods do.

If you want others to play on your Tekkit server, they need the Technic Launcher. Honestly, how much work is that?

I am against it because I do not believe in basically forcing people who do not want it installed, to install it to play on a server.

So if you own Quake 3, you expect to be able to join a Call of Duty server? It doesn't work that way.

I have many friends who do not want Tekkit, but like to play on my server and that being said I host all the plugins on my server so they do not need anything at all. They just press play and away they go, the server files are stored on mine and managed by me. That is my issue.

It is alright, I just will not play Tekkit. I am not forcing people to install something just to play on a game. No other games does it, unless you select DLC in a game, like Grid 2 for example. If you own the DLC you can deselect it so others can join, not forcing anyone because we all have the same game.

That analogy doesn't work. You can disable Tekkit's content just like in Grid 2, by hosting a Vanilla server instead of a Tekkit server. If they added an option to disable all mods, it would be extremely redundant and unnecessary.

If Tekkit made a Bukkit plugin that an admin simply puts in a plugin folder, I bet that tekkit would go sky high with people downloading.

Bukkit plugins can only do stuff with content that's already there. Mods add new content.

Honestly, I don't see the problem. Do you expect Minecraft to just poof all the mods out of thin air?

Think logically!

Bwaahahahahha!

Ah, yes, thank you sir. I needed my daily dose of irony.

OP tells us to think logically when his own thinking is illogical. You sir, do not understand client/server relationships. Teraku put it best: