Atomic Science Fuel Life Config?

LostInTheWired

• Replies 140
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Apologies if this is thought as necroing the thread, but I've finally finished my fusion reactor redesign and can address the OP.

My setup:

4 Fusion reactors, steam funnels on top to liquiducts. Feeding primary steam storage and then a steam buffer.

The reactors have vanilla droppers beneath them (kept full with LP supplier although AE would be find)

The primary storage has a bc gate set to emit when it's empty, this signal triggers the dropper to insert a single cell into each reactor.

The buffer storage keeps the turbines going while the reactor heats up again.

The results:

Generating > 2000 MJ/t and fully powering 4 x MFR mining laser (400MJ/t each)

Fuel usage:

1 set of 4 cells every 20 minutes (Real Time)

Summary: The fuel life isn't really an issue at all, only insert cells when you need them.

I don't mind at all since I'm still struggling with this. What are you using for steam storage? I tried experimenting with how much steam would be produced by a single fuel cell and created a rather large Liquid Manager setup to store it and ran into filling issues.

Here are a couple of pics: http://imgur.com/k32swGY,OQKMjVN

I have the whole reactor inside a pocket dimension. There are 8 bc tanks going from floor to ceiling with a bc gate at the bottom of each.

Each tank is fed by 3 liquiducts. Each liquiduct has 2 Liquid Managers in parallel. (Total of 48 Liquid Managers)

In the second pic. you can see one of my 8 buffer tanks. 3 liquiducts in, 2 out(on the top). These are the ones that keep the turbines spinning while waiting for the reactor to reheat.

Hope this helps.

Here are a couple of pics: http://imgur.com/k32swGY,OQKMjVN

I have the whole reactor inside a pocket dimension. There are 8 bc tanks going from floor to ceiling with a bc gate at the bottom of each.

Each tank is fed by 3 liquiducts. Each liquiduct has 2 Liquid Managers in parallel. (Total of 48 Liquid Managers)

In the second pic. you can see one of my 8 buffer tanks. 3 liquiducts in, 2 out(on the top). These are the ones that keep the turbines spinning while waiting for the reactor to reheat.

Hope this helps.

Maybe I gave up too early. Or maybe I was trying too many new things at once. I had built one of these constructs illustrated here but as I said I had filling problems. Only certain tanks would fill. I might use your technique since I have excess Liquid Managers now. Why did you use so many liquiducts/managers to fill each large tank?

I used the layout that is explained in this post and created 4 layers of them stacked on top of each other, with liquiducts as the 5th bottom most layer that my inlet and outlet pipes connect to. I've dismantled it since so it's pointless to discuss what I had but what are you doing for inlet / outlet from your system? I suspected that was my issue.

Maybe I gave up too early. Or maybe I was trying too many new things at once. I had built one of these constructs illustrated here but as I said I had filling problems. Only certain tanks would fill. I might use your technique since I have excess Liquid Managers now. Why did you use so many liquiducts/managers to fill each large tank?

I worked backwards on the number of liquiducts using a fuzzy form of logic to ensure the lower tiers were always filled. It went in a simplified fashion like this:

Each turbine is connected to 1 liquiduct, therefore I need 2 liquiducts feeding my buffer supply, therefore I need 3 liquiducts feeding my main storage.

That way, the turbines could never run out of steam. i.e. higher throughput at higher levels.

Hope this makes sense....

Ok I think I found the problem. The liquid manager storage method outlined in that post I linked before is not suitable for steam. The way you supply or deplete the system is attaching directly into the surrounding piping (here's an example I whipped up). When I attempted to do this with steam it wouldn't fill the liquid managers. I'm going to assume here but the "open pipe" nature of the design doesn't work and the steam just blows right out the turbines. Kiwi has liquiducts dumping into liquid managers then pulled out and into another and so on. Filling the side of a liquid manager didn't seem to work correctly either. It would fill that immediate one quickly but the others would trickle fill.

Ok I think I found the problem. The liquid manager storage method outlined in that post I linked before is not suitable for steam. The way you supply or deplete the system is attaching directly into the surrounding piping (here's an example I whipped up). When I attempted to do this with steam it wouldn't fill the liquid managers. I'm going to assume here but the "open pipe" nature of the design doesn't work and the steam just blows right out the turbines. Kiwi has liquiducts dumping into liquid managers then pulled out and into another and so on. Filling the side of a liquid manager didn't seem to work correctly either. It would fill that immediate one quickly but the others would trickle fill.

I think you are on to it. A steam liquiduct seems to be able to carry 100mB/T. If you are generating steam at a greater rate than that, there are obvious bottlenecks.

Solution. Make it parallel :)

Umm, yeah. tried this design for myself. 1 deuterium cell in, about 4 million Mj out. Only caught about 40% of the steam produced due to forgetting to supply the ducts with a redstone signal until after the reactor had mostly cooled down.

That is an insane find there guys. O_o

I used the layout that is explained in this post and created 4 layers of them stacked on top of each other, with liquiducts as the 5th bottom most layer that my inlet and outlet pipes connect to. I've dismantled it since so it's pointless to discuss what I had but what are you doing for inlet / outlet from your system? I suspected that was my issue.

Work fine for me. I use liquiducts and tesseracts, both going in and out. However, I DON'T have a bottom layer of all liquiducts. Look at the first post, and the one with 9 liquiducts per layer. I am using that with no issues.

Work fine for me. I use liquiducts and tesseracts, both going in and out. However, I DON'T have a bottom layer of all liquiducts. Look at the first post, and the one with 9 liquiducts per layer. I am using that with no issues.

i eliminated the need for long lines of liquiducts by doing this: http://imgur.com/a/HvcTv#0

its a small variation of the mass liquid storage some guys uploaded, gildan helped me do it and it turned out quite usefull.

regarding input and output: i can keep 200 ish combustion engines powered no problem, no shortage of fuel. i can also power 250 ish bio-fuel engines so the output of fuel is more than enough.

Edit: you can hold 12200 ish buckets.

ok so my 13 tesseracts should be good then. Just need to set up the timer system for inserting fuel anyone got any pics of that or advice?

Hi Toki, I don't do it with a timer, I just detect when the steam is empty in my main storage, using that rednet signal to insert another cell into each reactor.

This approach requires a small buffer storage of steam near the turbines so that they don't run out as the reactor reheats.

Ok since Kiwi's idea didn't work for my setup and I wanted an adjustable working timer, and since I don't wanna learn LUA/am balls at finding premade code to fit this situation, I made my own timer, so here it is for those who are similarly lazy.

OK first I have a distribution pipe hooked up to an enderchest on top of my reactor so that it distributes the cells evenly between the reactors powered by a redstone engine.

Second the ender chest his hooked to A hopper and an item tesseract, back at the ME system the item tesseract is getting pumped deuterium.

The PRC is set up on Circuit#1 200tick square wave which gives a 20 second interval between ticks

Circuit #2 Has a counter that pulses every 30 increments attached to the output of circuit 1(thus 30x200ticks or 10min)

Circuit #3 is a pulse lengthener such that every time the counter pulses it lengthens the pulse to 24ticks(enough time for the hopper to drop 4 cells, it drops an item once every 8 ticks + 1 when first engaged e.g. Drop 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 Drop 9 10 ....etc)

Circuit #4 is an inverter outputing to the hopper and hooked into circuit 3, so that the redstone turns off for 24 ticks every 10 minutes.

Sounds complicated but it works really elegantly, and without any trouble, If anyone else wants to do this, I reccomend making a PRC memory card and once you get it working keep a save of the config in case you break the block or something.

the problem with logistics is the best you can do is 1 cell at all times, it won't stay empty ever without some weird contrivance that i haven't found and the autaurchic gates i think is what Kiwi was saying but I don't store my steam except for a railcraft tank for overflow, so I didn't have any way to set it up, also it is so far from my AE system I would have to set up a subsystem for the reactor which seemed unwieldy. I think my system is really lightweight for what it does.

Yes. Set it up to only insert a single deuterium cell once the main buffer was empty.

Placed a single cobblestone structure pipe next to one of the REC's in the main buffer. Placed a normal gate(autarchic gate would work as well) in the structure pipe and set it to output a redstone signal when the storage is empty. linked this to an advanced wooden pipe set to only extract deuterium cells, using rednet cable. Placed an autarchic gate in this pipe set to pulse only once when a redstone signal is applied. The adv wooden pipe is connected to an ender chest that I have it's matched pair in my base with a precision export bus placing deuterium cells into it. I also have most of the slots filled with dirt so I don't have so many deuterium cells in inventory.(efficiency reasons) The precision export bus crafts on demand and is linked to an ME interface hooked up to my chemical extractor. Finally, the adv wooden pipe pumps the deuterium cells into golden transport pipes that feed directly into my fusion reactor.

Crafting end: The ME system makes the empty cells in the molecular assembler. The chemical extractor is auto fed by the ME interface, which only does so when the precision export bus asks for them. The export bus only asks for more cells when there is room in the ender chest.

Fusion end: The autarchic gate only pulls out one cell at a time when given a redstone signal through the rednet cable. The regular gate keeps an eye on the power levels of the buffer cells and only outputs a signal when they are empty. When the main buffer goes empty, my primary storage is still full and can power the equipment for about 10 minutes before running low. But long before this happens, the 2 gates have cycled the fusion reactor, refilling the main storage and at least half filling the buffer.

I'm working on a manual over ride that will let me toggle the autarchic gate from my base if something happens causing the system to fall out of sync. Thinking a pair of ender chests and another gate to detect when items are in the chest. have it output a signal to the other side of the gate cycling it once when I place an item in the chest. Making it act like a remote button.

I've been running this for 2 days now and it hasn't skipped a beat yet. best of all, it's a completely "On Demand" system meaning it can sit idle as long as it needs to, without using up resources, until my power systems start draining again. I've got a fairly low power setup atm, but plan on changing that as well.