Brand new laptop.

Xpro

Well, i went out YESTERDAY, yes its that new and bought my self a new laptop. now i'm not mr money bags so i do realise what i can afford and what i cant...

But going by the specs of this laptop, not pre-owned.. brand new out the box it's telling me it has 6gig of RAM AMD Quadcore Processor A4-5000 abd a AND Radeon HD 8330 Graphics card..

Now I'm no genius at computer and there components but I did a little bit of investigating and it turns out this should be pretty shit hot for games like Minecraft. Now i was expecting it to run a teaxture pack of 512x with atloeast 40FPS a second. well no... It's running a 128x texture pack at under 20fps.. So i had a tinker with the allocated RAM allowance and gave it 5gig of RAM, now im pretty sure thats over kill but its still running like a vegetable. Any smart kids out there want to try help a brother out?

• Moderators

Forget Minecraft, get Skyrim and play it on highest resolution with shadows and reflection and everything!

5GB is too much, I don't think any technic modpack performs faster/have any noticeable effect, whether you have 6GB ram or higher.

1GB or 3 tops is where you should find your balance.

the HD 8330 "graphics card" isn't a card at all, it's an integrated graphics card. this means you don't have a discrete (meaning separate) GPU. what you read was wrong, that setup is nothing close to "shit hot" for games. be glad you're getting even 20fps at all in MC with that thing. integrated graphics are just not that great for most games.

additionally, 2gigs of ram is probably more than enough. if you allocate too much, you will actually cause more performance issues than you solve.

edit: additionally, that CPU runs at 1.5GHz a decent CPU should be in the mid 2GHz, with high end being 3-3.5GHz. MC is pretty CPU heavy, which would explain your performance problems.

the HD 8330 "graphics card" isn't a card at all, it's an integrated graphics card. this means you don't have a discrete (meaning separate) GPU. what you read was wrong, that setup is nothing close to "shit hot" for games. be glad you're getting even 20fps at all in MC with that thing. integrated graphics are just not that great for most games.

additionally, 2gigs of ram is probably more than enough. if you allocate too much, you will actually cause more performance issues than you solve.

edit: additionally, that CPU runs at 1.5GHz a decent CPU should be in the mid 2GHz, with high end being 3-3.5GHz. MC is pretty CPU heavy, which would explain your performance problems.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Megahertz_myth

that's nice and all but when the gap is that large, it matters. I don't care how many optimizations you've got (that CPU doesn't have many), you can't make up for tens of thousands of cycles per second. not to mention I also looked at benchmarks and this thing ranks very low on them. I was simplifying it for a non techie person so that they could understand it more easily. if I went into amounts of cache, FLOPS, processor instructions, etc. it would have gone right over his head. next time you copy/paste a wiki article, make sure it applies.

that's nice and all but when the gap is that large, it matters. I don't care how many optimizations you've got (that CPU doesn't have many), you can't make up for tens of thousands of cycles per second. not to mention I also looked at benchmarks and this thing ranks very low on them. I was simplifying it for a non techie person so that they could understand it more easily. if I went into amounts of cache, FLOPS, processor instructions, etc. it would have gone right over his head. next time you copy/paste a wiki article, make sure it applies.

Considering how you effectively said Hz = Performance.. It does apply.

Considering how you effectively said Hz = Performance.. It does apply.

what part of "I am simplifying it for a non techie person" did you not understand? just because it isn't the only factor doesn't mean it isn't a major one. post your wiki links to someone who cares and/or doesn't actually understand the subject.

Don't be fooled by laptop specs. A typical laptop cannot perform the same due to battery and heat dissipation considerations. A cpu or gpu laptop variant is much (MUCH) slower than its desktop cousin, even if they share the same family name. An intel i7 laptop cpu for example is slower than a desktop i3.

A dedicated gpu in a desktop can consume upwards of 200W on its own, a cpu can consume upwards of 150W. A cutting edge laptop all up does not typically exceed 75W. Both cutting edge laptop and desktop parts are made on the same micron manufacturing process with the same technology. Get the idea?

Laptops and gaming do not mix, unless you're into paying much more for much less.

Variety stop pulling statistics out your ass...

Razer Blade for example :

i7-4702HQ (About equivalent to an i7-2600K) Max TDP 37 watts.

Nvidia GeForce 765m (About equivalent to a 7770) 75 watts

Laptops are a lot more efficient than a desktop computer.

Also I would like to see you game on the go with a desktop computer

Variety stop pulling statistics out your ass...

Razer Blade for example :

i7-4702HQ (About equivalent to an i7-2600K) Max TDP 37 watts.

Nvidia GeForce 765m (About equivalent to a 7770) 75 watts

Laptops are a lot more efficient than a desktop computer.

Also I would like to see you game on the go with a desktop computer

Got sources on those equivalences?

5 GB of ram will actually slow down Java. GC will get lazy and let it allocate more and more until when it eventually runs it'll be taxing on your system

Thats actually bullcrap. I for one run with 12gb allocated and it runs quite nicely. And 3gb is NOT tops. I would run 4 on my last machine and still have issues.

Just to point out, m versions of cards are nowhere near their desktop equivalents in performance.

Observe:

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/gaming-graphics-card-review,3107-7.html

Look for the Nvidia 680, thats the desktop version. Its 680m counterpart is 3 tiers down. A tier on that hierarchy is denoted as a noticable upgrade. This is one of the annoying aspects for people who buy a laptop for its graphics processing power thinking they are getting a "680" that it's going to be the same as the desktop version. It's not anywhere close.

There is only so much power you can fit in a small form factor like a laptop with its limited air cooling capacity and mobile nature, they are built to be of low power requirement which is why the very idea of a gaming laptop is fallacy and laughable unless you are spending upwards of £1500-2500. You simply are paying for mobility.