it won't open because it is from a "unknown developer"

jalen

Question

Title: it won't open because it is from a "unknown developer"

Version: 0.5.1

Java Version: latest version

Description of Problem:

Whenever i open up the mac download that was given to me from the Tekkit website it presents: ""TechnicLauncher.jar" can't be opened because it is from an unidentified developer." what do i do?

Error Messages:

Error Log:

19 answers to this question

• Moderators

Who says that? Your windows notifier or antivirus?

I don't have mac, but I assume you need to right-click it and choose "Run as.." which will pop up a new window with a list of programs to choose from. Choose java on that list

• Moderators

how do i do that?

You go to Control Panel -> uninstall programs

Find which antivirus you have, these are known to cause problems with the launcher: Norton, Mcafee, AVG.

I don't know where Mac puts its control panel, you will have to google the answer

You go to Control Panel -> uninstall programs

Find which antivirus you have, these are known to cause problems with the launcher: Norton, Mcafee, AVG.

I don't know where Mac puts its control panel, you will have to google the answer

last time I used a Mac, it didn't have one.

though, it was OSX Mountain Lion. so, unless they changed it, (I doubt it) it won't have one.

You don't need to do that. Just right click on the .jar and press open.

Thats what he means (I think) when he says "Tekkit" he means the Technic launcher.

He can't open it because who ever set up his PC made it so I couldn't run unverified programs.

The unverified program thing is something that was introduced with OS X Mountain Lion, the version before what he has (OS X Mavericks). It's supposed to be some form of security or whatnot, but often times it's just more annoying than anything. I just have it disabled on my Mac, but you can get around it by right-clicking and hitting open rather than double-clicking the file.

When he does that, instead of a message stating that it can't run a program from an unverified developer, he'll get a message asking if he's sure he wants to run a program from an unverified developer. To which he would hit yes, and then the launcher should open fine (and it won't display the unverified developer messages for the launcher anymore).

The unverified program thing is something that was introduced with OS X Mountain Lion, the version before what he has (OS X Mavericks). It's supposed to be some form of security or whatnot, but often times it's just more annoying than anything. I just have it disabled on my Mac, but you can get around it by right-clicking and hitting open rather than double-clicking the file.

When he does that, instead of a message stating that it can't run a program from an unverified developer, he'll get a message asking if he's sure he wants to run a program from an unverified developer. To which he would hit yes, and then the launcher should open fine (and it won't display the unverified developer messages for the launcher anymore).

ok, I thought it would have the same result it would have in Windows.

Cool. I'll add that tidbit to my list of common checks and fixes.

I find it real stupid that they set the default to be refuse, however. Rigging a computer to only run big, signed and verified code kind of defeats the purpose of having an open system that can be changed by the user (IE function altered by running a program).

IT WORKS! THANK YOU SO MUCH GUYS! thanks to: Valkon, chefsbrian, two walls and manaus. when i opened up open by right clicking it and saw the error box open, i didn't see the open option. my apologies. but thanks again for sticking around and helping me :)

Simple. You need to go to System Preferences>Security and Privacy and change "Allow apps only from the Mac App Store" or whatever your setting to "Anywhere".

Ninja :(

ok, good to know, but what the hell does "Ninja :(" mean?