Mod suggestion

Lazarix

This is such an awesome pack, very well put together and is very stable on the server that my wife and I own.

The only thing that we think is missing is some sort of better storage solution. Doesn't have to be as advanced as applied energistics, but something like the "Iron Chests" mod (http://www.minecraftforum.net/topic/981855-15-and-up-forge-universalironchests-50-minecraft-15-update/) or anything that allows for expanded storage would certainly be of benefit!

Regards,

Laz

It can't be too hard to add in the mod yourself?

Please read the >Forum rules, signing your name on a post is frowned by moderators

It's a crime to sign your name?....

No it's not too hard to add the mod myself, but it's a client/server mod so therefore all the players connecting to the server have to have it. It's inconvenient, hence suggesting the official addition.

Awesome :)

I think it would be a great addion to the pack, as we're finding it a struggle to keep on top of storage demands right now.

Strongboxes from Thermal Expansion. They aren't as well known as Iron Chests, but are quite nice especially on servers. They can be locked, and whitelisted via a friendslist. Also you can break them and they keep their contents. The top tier one is quite expensive (and huge internally), but the others are reasonable especially with B-Team's ore gen.

Edited by Blacktooth

This is something we hear a lot.  The issue is finding the right mod.  AE is, we think, to techy for B-Team, Better Storage advertises itself as not compatible with MCPC+ and a couple other things...  between DSUs, ThermEx StrongBoxes, and I think another storage item I can't remember now, we keep going back and forth on whether a storage solution is even necessary.  Definitely feel free to hash the issue out in this thread & suggest possible storage mods for us, I'm watching and your insights will help me, I think.

I think the problem is that we need a storage solution between hardened strongboxes, which are relatively low cost, but not especially large, and resonant strongboxes, which are unreasonably expensive. DSUs are great but, for storing a single item, quite expensive, and slow to craft, given that strongboxes don't stack.

The problem with adding any other storage mod is that it would clutter the low end of storage with similar items, and totally unravel the cost associated with the resonant strongboxes. 

Perhaps a better solution would be to make the DSU recipe less painful? To not have to individually click in 4 strongboxes every time would be a game changer.

Well, that would also be impossible, due to the way Minecraft handles similar items with different NBT tags in regards to inventory. So, I was not for a moment suggesting that fix. I merely suggest changing them to a recipe using a normal chest, and maybe more expensive metal, or something similar. 

Im not sure what you mean here.  What I mentioned is already possible with strongboxes.  You can place a full strongbox inside another strongbox without worrying about losing what is saved in the inventory.  If you hold shift while mousing over the strongbox it lists the contents.

After watching GenericB's episode on Project Red Transportation Pipe I started using those and storage became a non issue really.

I've got a bank of 32 double chests hooked in for storage of most items and DSU's for things like cobble. Going to be putting in some Reasonant Strongboxes to replace the chests eventually.

I can record a video tomorrow going over what I learned. Warning though I'm new to recording videos. There is some video on the Project Red Pipes, not real good though, no sound. From what it looks like the pipes are still being implemented.

Edited by cigarjack

I reckon someone just needs to write some stuff on a wiki somewhere. GB's video covered a large amount of the detail tbh. Still got no idea how extender pipes are meant to work...

Edit: Spent a half hour playing, so may record an all-inclusive video on the stuff myself. The only thing I'm lacking is crafting pipes, which I think aren't all there at the moment.

Edited by AcesOyster

I reckon someone just needs to write some stuff on a wiki somewhere. GB's video covered a large amount of the detail tbh. Still got no idea how extender pipes are meant to work...

Edit: Spent a half hour playing, so may record an all-inclusive video on the stuff myself. The only thing I'm lacking is crafting pipes, which I think aren't all there at the moment.

Crafting and Extender pipes work together. Put a crafting pipe on the output of a cyclic assembler and the extender pipe on the input.

Right Click on the Extender pipe and insert a data card into top slot for each material required for crafting (i.e. for a Diamond Pickaxe you'd need two)

Put the Data Card in the bottom row one for each material. In top row set the number of materials (2 sticks and 3 diamonds)

In bottom box set desired output.

Then test from Request Pipe

So far I haven't bothered with it as I don't really mass produce anything too much in this mod pack yet.

You can also use the Liquicrafting table from MFR but it needs a timer on it and having a bunch of those would get annoying.

Also the chest that feeds my Smeltery I have a request pipe hooked up to it and every so often I go over and send all my iron ore into the smeltery to be processed into ingots.

Edited by cigarjack

Actually, the crafting pipe is designed to work with the buildcraft autocrafting benches, and using that, it acts as both input and output. The extender pipes are designed to get rid of this problem, by allowing you to separate crafting input and output, as a contingency for other crafting systems. 

I still haven't worked out what the responder chips actually do, seem totally un-needed in all the designs I've built.

Got a video rendering now, sans anything about responders.Fairly succinct I feel.

Edited by AcesOyster

I noticed that in your video, the terminators and responders seem to do the exact samething. In my build I use responder chips where you used terminator chips. The mod is definitely powerful, a bit unpolished yet.

Also you can use the crafting pipes on just about anything. The problem is it only pulls out what is intended to be made and not the byproduct so if you have to hook an extractor pipe up to a third side on something like the Sawmill.

Just watched the video in your other thread. Well done.

I'd be willing to collaborate on writing up some documentation.

Edited by cigarjack

The crafting pipes are even more powerful than that though. All that a crafting pipe does is tell request pipes or stock keepers that it could supply a number of item A, provided that something gave the relevant supplies to the relevant extension pipes.

http://imgur.com/dZf6Ytl

For example, in this picture I have the crafting pipe set up to accept 12 redstone ore into the top extension pipe, and 1 ferrous ore into the lower extension pipe, to produce 1 shiny ingot. The pulveriser has a small chance of producing cinnabar from the redstone ore, which goes into the induction smelter via the secondary output configured to the bottom. The induction smelter smelts this cinnibar with the ferrous ore, to produce 3 ferrous ingots, which are extracted through the bottom, and 1 shiny ingot, which is returned to the crafting pipe, via the secondary output configured to the right hand side. Thus, the request pipe can ask for 1 shiny ingot, and the system will produce it.

The obvious problem with this system is that it doesn't account for the chance that 10 redstone ore may not produce 1 cinnibar. Nor does it deal with any cinnibar left over if more than 1 is produced in a batch of 10.Realistically you'd try and separate cinnibar production, to have another broadcaster set asside for cinnibar stock. 

Just a little proof of concept. This could obviously be made much bigger, which is my next great plan.

Edited by AcesOyster