Best Way To mine

TOSU1

Correction, Diamond Spheres in a mystcraft age and mine at your leisure.  Less instability.  More time to mine up diamonds.  And the age will still be there if you need to go back for more.

Otherwise...  Mine down to about level 10.  Mine strait out for say, 20 blocks.  then mine out from the shaft, on each side, with 1 block wide by 3 blocks high shafts.  have each shaft separated by 2 blocks of material.  This way you can cover the most area while removing the least amount of stuff while mining.  Street and Avenue mining at its most efficient and boring.

Once you've covered as much area at that level as you want, mine down too level 5 or 6 and do the same thing again directly under what you already mined.

Edited by jakalth

If going the traditional way, I recommend digging on level 12, not 10. That way you are above common lava level and will have less fiery surprises.

Apart from that, quarries do work - we are on Tekkit after all. A small early Yellorium reactor will keep it going for a while.

Thanks, I have lots of diamonds now, almost out of gold though.

If you have lots of diamonds, you're a few small steps away from having lots of gold. You can make an EE3 Minium Stone and (among other things) convert 1 diamond to 4 gold. 

Instructions are in this thread: '?do=embed' frameborder='0' data-embedContent>>

Edited by Darth Crater

Couple things I wanted to add..  'street' mining is best done with only 1x1 side-shafts. It's most efficient - you're revealing 5 blocks per 1 block mined vs 10 per 3 blocks mined.

When a friend and I do this we have one person mine the 2x1 'street' and the one behind covering the 5-deep 1x1 side shafts. Do this at level 12. When a cave or lava pool/sea is revealed, explore it briefly and continue (again just maximum exposure of blocks that can be diamond).

Also, I'd really recommend spending your first few diamonds on an enchanting table. Make a sapphire pickaxe (more economical than diamond as sapphire has fewer crafting uses). The sapphire pick has less durability, but you'll be enchanting it. Make a ruby sword when available, and some bookcases, and try to get a level 30 enchant. If you can manage to get fortune in any capacity on your pickaxe, it will greatly enhance your diamond gathering. Even if you don't get fortune, you'll still have a great (fast/durable/both) pickaxe. If you manage to get silk touch, that's great too as you can pulverize diamond ore for twice as much diamond.

Fusion reactor and several laser drills with the blue focus crystal in them (might be light blue, I forget).  Pipe the result into your ME system, set up a chunk loader, and mine while you're not even online.

I'm up to over 8000 diamonds, plus it mines all the other ores as well.  22k iron and counting...

Well, MFR laser drills are not really mining...  But, they do get you nearly as much resources as a quarry.  And if you don't use any focus, they get you about the same amount of all resource types.  even glowstone.  So they are extremely useful for resource gather.  but still, not actually mining.