Isn't it time to say good bye to Java 1.6?

Roversword

Tekkit 1.2.8e has been release to fix an issue, which - if I understand correctly - only happens when you are using Java 1.6.

Java 1.6 has been EOL for quite a while now (at least for consumer section).

There is no reason for a normal user (who also plays minecraft) to use that version anymore. Even on servers (if it there is no java 7 in the repositories, then it is time to upgrade...NOW...and not only for the sake of java).

The only reason to use Java 1.6 is for cooperate users due do legacy products.

So question is really....in all seriousness...why still supporting it? Are there some real requirements for people still using an outdated and potential insecure java?*

* that being said, java 7 had its fair share of bad publicity as well....

Mostly, it's a matter of support and user perception.  

If Java said "This application requires Java 1.7 or higher, click here to install the newest version!" that would be one thing, but it doesn't.  It says "Unsupported major/minor revision" on like 567 of a 1,234 line error message.  This is confusing to the end user, who just wants to play Tekkit.

A LOT of people are on un-upgraded Macs that can't use Java 1.7.

A lot of people are on older Windows PCs and/or aren't PC-competent enough to upgrade java themselves.

And there's no good reason NOT to support Java 1.6 if we can.

Not every system has JAVA 1.7  or can even handle it.  That's the problem faced with updating some of the mods.  Tekkit's strength is in it's ability to be run on older systems.  One's that may not even have 64bit as a option.  And these older systems may not be able to run Java 1.7...   Many a mod pack(not all, but quite a few) is either so large it needs over 1GB of ram, or is not optimized for minimal memory usage.  The longer the mod pack can be kept optimized like it is, the better it is for all users.

But there will eventually be a point where the change has to be made, where all mods will need Java 1.7  But until then...

I know of some odd corners in the business world that are still running production software on Java 1.4... and even 1.3.

Being stuck with an OS from the 1980s can do this to you, and don't ask how they even got Java ported to that...

Having to support 1.6 along with 1.7 is a luxury problem. Also, what Skuli said.

Hi all and thanks for the replies...

[...]  This is confusing to the end user, who just wants to play Tekkit.

A LOT of people are on un-upgraded Macs that can't use Java 1.7.

A lot of people are on older Windows PCs and/or aren't PC-competent enough to upgrade java themselves.

And there's no good reason NOT to support Java 1.6 if we can.

I do hear you, but I still do not grasp the arguments:

What computer is not able to handle java 7 if it can handle java 6?

• java 7 is a little less ressources hungry than java 1.6.
  • There is no operating system after Windows XP that does not support java 7.
  • If you are on older hardware that either does not support windows XP or newer (or linux 12.04 and newer) or does not handle java 6, then it hardly can handle minecraft (let alone modpacks such as Tekkit).

Additionally people do not "only play Tekkit" with their computer, they are also surfing the web, doing electronic banking and such.

Java 6 is posing a security risk for those tasks (again, you may argue java in general does that, but java 6 is not updated anymore).

So I ask: Is there are reason to support it besides of supporting operating systems windows 2000 and older (which inherently will have troubles running minecraft in itself) and to support (lazy) people who do not want to update/upgrade?

As for Mac-Users, well...I do get that argument (somewhat).

Then again, how on earth do customer allow a company to let them work on outdated software like that? But I guess I am way to spoiled with linux to understand that one. I guess I have to accept this argument.

So we are not upgrading the whole world because of Apple?

Not every system has JAVA 1.7  or can even handle it.  That's the problem faced with updating some of the mods.  Tekkit's strength is in it's ability to be run on older systems.  One's that may not even have 64bit as a option.  And these older systems may not be able to run Java 1.7...   Many a mod pack(not all, but quite a few) is either so large it needs over 1GB of ram, or is not optimized for minimal memory usage.  The longer the mod pack can be kept optimized like it is, the better it is for all users.

But there will eventually be a point where the change has to be made, where all mods will need Java 1.7  But until then...

Running legacy code just for being compatible is not called "optimising", I am afraid. It is actually far from it. Optimising would be exactly the opposite -> get rid of the deprecated stuff, rely on newer classes and processes, more optimised ones that do the job better.

And again, I hardly think there is a computer out there not able to handle java 7 as good as java 6 and still running Tekkit (which needs more ressources than vanilla minecraft).

I know of some odd corners in the business world that are still running production software on Java 1.4... and even 1.3.

Being stuck with an OS from the 1980s can do this to you, and don't ask how they even got Java ported to that...

Having to support 1.6 along with 1.7 is a luxury problem. Also, what Skuli said.

This is why I mentioned "consumers". I have (unfortunately) still have servers that run Java 1.6 (and even older) for legacy products that can not be upgraded or where the customers does not want to spend money to upgrade. Those servers are, however, protected otherwise and have specific purposes. Not really compareable to consumers who have Windows XP or newer (which can handle java 7 with issues).

You might be right, it is a luxury problem, but still...not really a reason to still support it.

Actually, I think it is rather dangerous to still support it and give the people the feeling it is still ok to use java 6.

...Words...

If support for 6 is dropped then this forum is going to be flooded with new registrations posting the same error messages time and again

Money is also a factor here, I had a IPhone 3 until about 6 months ago, apple stopped supporting the 3 while I had it so I was constantly plagued by messages on my Phone and PC about how iOS and all of the apple apps I used were incompatible with my phone. Do you have any idea how frustrating it is to have to close the same alerts time after time whenever you unlock your phone or go to listen to some music? Very.

Disabling those messages can cause a whole slew of problems, any coder for any language can tell you that.

And as Skuli said, not everyone can upgrade, not only because the machine won't support it but remember that not everyone has full control over the machine they are using, search the forums and you will see a lot of people saying they can't do something because it's their parents PC or because of X other reason.

Legacy support may not be optimal for the machine but it is for the user base, If you consider that to be lazy on the user end, then stick someone who has no idea what they are doing in front of a machine and tell them to update a piece of software but only help them via a forum with the information they post.

And at the end of the day if you are on the most up to date version good for you, alienating the chunk of the user base that isn't on 7 isn't going to do any good.

Edited by Maxis010