Okay... How do I get tesseracts working after the update?

chompobar

I just barely got on tekkit again after about eight months of not being online. (Was waiting for friends to finally download the damn thing) I get online and to my pleasure I find that the game has been updated and changed a whole ton. Most of these changes I applaud, as there is even more content in the game...

Except I can no longer figure out how to work tesseracts. At all.

I used to use tesseracts to get 'infiinite' energy in the overworld via lava streams in the nether.

Previously Tesseracts were fairly simple to use. I would build two of them, one in the nether and one in the overworld. I believe I would hook up a pump to one of the tesseracts via a redstone energy conduit, and after setting both tesseracts to transfer/recieve liquid on frequency 1, there was magic and I had an endless supply of energy... by hooking up the tesseract to some magmatic engines.

But now, nothing works. I can't figure out what different types of pipes will actually connect to the tesseract, and when I do manage to hook up a transfer pipe to the tesseract, it won't connect to the engines or a pump, etc. Redstone energy conduits still seem to connect but I can't for the life of me figure out how to get energy transfering to happen.

The whole thing is a mess.

If someone could give me a basic rundown of how to get liquid transfers via a tesseract to work, that would be great. I would like to know the different types of pipes to use, and how to transfer the energy to the tesseract and to another tesseract. Also, how to store the energy for later usage.

Thank you so much, guys. <3

You are experiencing the Thermal Expansion 3 changes here. There is only one type of Tesseract where there used to be three. I assume you already found out how to craft the new ones.

TE's own pipes will work fine with Tesseracts, namely Itemducs and Fluiducts (the pipe formerly known as Liquiduct). But on non-TE machines, you usually need to set the pipe head to extract mode, i.e. wrench it so a red triangle appears on it. Depending on what you are facing, you may have to apply a Redstone signal to make it actually extract, or alternatively install a Pneumatic Servo in the pipe head, right click it with an empty hand, and configure it to extract only when NOT receiving a Redstone signal.

With these tools, you should be able to make it work fine. Some machines (e.g. Buildcraft Quarry) will not directly connect to a Tesseract whatever you do, so you need a buffer chest. Energy via Tesseract works fine, although it only carries Redstone Flux, the new standard power system. If you need MJ, add conduits in between, as these make all the necessary conversions in TE3.

Oh, and you can set the three Tesseract modes in the interface (gear icon), so you can actually fine-tune what a given Tesseract does. To separate all your projects, you can set pairs (or groups) of Tesseracts to share a frequency, which has a number and a name. Most people have separate ones for power, steam, items and other fluids (steam counts as a fluid).

A note about energy: Yellorium Reactors, with or without Turbines, are the new "Infinte Energy" of choice. There are of course lots of options, but that one is the easiest, and for many also the most fun one. You can opt to turn all that >lava into diamonds instead.

Have fun.

Edited by Curunir

You are experiencing the Thermal Expansion 3 changes here. There is only one type of Tesseract where there used to be three. I assume you already found out how to craft the new ones.

TE's own pipes will work fine with Tesseracts, namely Itemducs and Fluiducts (the pipe formerly known as Liquiduct). But on non-TE machines, you usually need to set the pipe head to extract mode, i.e. wrench it so a red triangle appears on it. Depending on what you are facing, you may have to apply a Redstone signal to make it actually extract, or alternatively install a Pneumatic Servo in the pipe head, right click it with an empty hand, and configure it to extract only when NOT receiving a Redstone signal.

With these tools, you should be able to make it work fine. Some machines (e.g. Buildcraft Quarry) will not directly connect to a Tesseract whatever you do, so you need a buffer chest. Energy via Tesseract works fine, although it only carries Redstone Flux, the new standard power system. If you need MJ, add conduits in between, as these make all the necessary conversions in TE3.

Oh, and you can set the three Tesseract modes in the interface (gear icon), so you can actually fine-tune what a given Tesseract does. To separate all your projects, you can set pairs (or groups) of Tesseracts to share a frequency, which has a number and a name. Most people have separate ones for power, steam, items and other fluids (steam counts as a fluid).

A note about energy: Yellorium Reactors, with or without Turbines, are the new "Infinte Energy" of choice. There are of course lots of options, but that one is the easiest, and for many also the most fun one. You can opt to turn all that >lava into diamonds instead.

Have fun.

You sir, are a hero. Thank you so much. Much love. I don't know if you will see this or not, but if you could explain to me the Yellorium Reactors, that would be great.

Edited by chompobar

I made a mistake there:

Some machines (e.g. Buildcraft Quarry) will not directly connect to a Tesseract whatever you do, so you need a buffer chest.

A Tesseract does work on top of a quarry, the thing that fails to connect is the Itemduct. I am putting that buffer chest on the output Tesseract, though.

About Yellorium Reactors, the base layout as laid down on the Wiki is still correct. Don't trust the Wiki too much on details, as it is largely outdated. When in doubt, look up recipes ingame with NEI (hover over the item and press R).

Have fun with reactors. They are the quintessential Lego experience, only with actual working power putput to make all the lights in your base turn on.  :-D

And one thing more: if you try to cool your reactor with Cryotheum do no try to swim in it as I did ;) Swimming in a liquid coolant between fuel rods in the reactor chamber is always a bad idea.

I imagine that swimming in any reactor chamber is not a good idea, online or offline.

But I'll nominate you as "Chief Cryotheum Taster", bochen. You earned that honour.  :-)

My only Cryotheum taster so far has been an overly curious cat. The cat is dead now.  :-(

Good thing I only keep pets inside Minecraft.

Edited by Curunir