Circles in Minecraft

Niverton

Ever wondered how to make circles in Minecraft ? Well if you're as lazy as I am, you'll want to have a turtle doing it for you, and spend a week working on the program that does it in twice the time it would have took you. And I have good news, because I already spent my week on this program !

You can get the program on pastebin:
pastebin get 0v97Mcmu cylinder
How it works:
  -Place the turtle (you don't need a fancy turtle, a normal one is enough) one block above the one you want the circle in, like this:
0fNGV61l.png

-Run the program with appropriate parameters, for example

cylinder 3 1
asks for a cylinder with a radius of 3 (wich gives a diameter of 7) and 1 block tall, and gives this:

Qk4jzrTl.png

The cylinder builds upward, so it builds another circle above the previous one

Examples of circles:
COmAlDsl.png

The redstone lamps represent blocks that are not part of any circles

2386LhGl.png

Example of builds with the program

Don't forget to put blocks in the turtle's inventory ! If you don't have enough fuel, the programs says how much you need, it's an estimation but it's close.

But why stop at building cylinders, when you can dig one ?
Presenting the digging program: pastebin get GAcEdHKC digCylinder
It can dig up, down or in front of the turtle, place it the same way as the cylinder turtle, in front, above or below the center of the cylinder you want to dig out
Enter parameters, for example
digCylinder 3 2 up

It will dig a cylinder of 3 blocks radius and two blocks high above the turtle.

abhwQzQl.png

This pit was dug up by a turtle, its radius is 6 including the walls, they were built by the cylinder program

hoIKnCvl.png

Example of how the digging porgram works with "front" as direction parameter.

I would like feedbacks ! If you have an idea on how I can improve them, or have a request, please go ahead. Thanks for your time !

It could be improved with the new CC 1.63 features, I can't wait for it to be in Tekkit :)

CC addons were updated for the latest version, the only problem now might be MFR's rednet cables integration since CC 1.63 does not support them natively any more, but now includes an API which makes it easy for a mod author to add compatibility

The circle making algorithm is based on this

Technically, we cannot have circles in the digital world. All we have are circle approximations, which increase in quality proportionally to resolution. Nice job with the approximations, though.

I once built a round tower, which took quite some time to get right. For manual work, I highly recommend using an Extra Utilities Builder's Wand once you have laid down the ground layer.

Technically, we cannot have circles in the digital world. All we have are circle approximations, which increase in quality proportionally to resolution. Nice job with the approximations, though.

I once built a round tower, which took quite some time to get right. For manual work, I highly recommend using an Extra Utilities Builder's Wand once you have laid down the ground layer.

Indeed you can't, that's a language abuse, I did not make the algorithm by the way, just adapted it :)

The Builder's wand is a nice thing, you can still use the script to make one circle (that's what I did).

or you just let mffs build your circles xD

Well yeah, but it takes all the fun away, and it's cheaper using turtles. I made the script for fun, I never build with circles