Power Conversion in Tekkit

Autocthon

Was looking through Tekkit's mod list and Power Converters doesn't appear to be included. Consideirng how useful it is (BioFuel Reactors apparently only output MJ) for sustaining power generation I wanted to know why it's not there despite being in Tekkit Lite.

tekkit lite and tekkit classic are different modpacks, with different versions of minecraft...

power conversion is done by the conduits now they can output RF and MJ.

not sure if they take mj directly haven't tried using the biofuel way lately, I went the big reactors way...

I know they're different pakcs with different versions, I was pretty sure converters worked in 1.6.4 tho. I'm alos pretty new to the tekkit tech tree overall and Big Reactors seems scary and complicated, while biofuel is (relatively) simple. Create tree farm, setup network, create power.

I'm gonna see if conduits work both ways on conversion, I wasn't actually sure if they did. Like I said pretty new to the tekkit pack's many many toys.

Edit: After some futzing around I've found that MJ producing engines cannot power RF requiring machines through conduits, the conversion appears to be from RF->MJ and not the other way around.

Edited by Autocthon

It is correct that Conduits do the converting, and that they only convert to MJ output, but will ignore MJ producers. It is therefore not recommended to even bother with MJ producers, with the possible exception of Galacticraft Solar Panels. Note that those only work with their own Aluminum wiring. They also tend to glitch when integrated into an RF power grid.

I was under the impression that MFR is somewhat integrated into the RF world by now, which should also mean that Biofuel Reactors should be able to output RF. However, I cannot verify that right now.

Generally, you want Dynamos for early game power generation and a Yellorium Reactor for mid to late game. BigReactors may look a little dauting, but it is actually quite simple if you start small.

Edited by Curunir

Some playing around shows that the solar panels output either MJ (kinesis piping, nothing else will work) or EU (aluminum wiring). So looking at it I could set up some infinite magma production for Magma Dynamos if I wanted by powering lava fabricators with solar panels, then pipe the output to dynamos. Probably more resource intensive than just building a biofuel setup tho.

But that being said I'll look into the reactors and make something small to start with once I finish setting myself up in my current SP game.

As a side note: fastest way to get infrastructure up in an island biome with no creature spawns? XD

Some playing around shows that the solar panels output either MJ (kinesis piping, nothing else will work) or EU (aluminum wiring). So looking at it I could set up some infinite magma production for Magma Dynamos if I wanted by powering lava fabricators with solar panels, then pipe the output to dynamos. Probably more resource intensive than just building a biofuel setup tho.

Yep, this should be possible.  You should be able to do about the same thing with biofuel instead of solar if you wanted to as well.  

I added on an external mod so I could convert MJ to RF - nobody says you have to stick with just tekkit, unless you're playing on someone else's server I suppose.

make a tree farm and automate charcoal generation then use steam dynamos to generate RF this will serve you well till late mid game ;)

EDIT: assuming you have trees on your island...

I had to hike almost an hour to find one, but I did find it.

I'll be making an automated tree farm this afternoon hopefully :P

As for tinkering, that is something I might do later. I'm not so great with mods tho, all the variables and such. Thanks for the help guys.

MFR machines all accept and output RFs when needed, so if you connect a biofuel generator to BC's conductive pipes, it will output MJs, and if you connect one to TE's conuits, it will output RFs. Also, TE's conduits can output MJs, but will not take MJs as input

MFR machines all accept and output RFs when needed, so if you connect a biofuel generator to BC's conductive pipes, it will output MJs, and if you connect one to TE's conuits, it will output RFs. Also, TE's conduits can output MJs, but will not take MJs as input

The wiki is in need of an update then. Biofuel Generator (which is a very misleading name anyway) is listed on the wiki as MJ output only. http://wiki.technicpack.net/MineFactory_Reloaded

This wiki page is outdated, a lot of MFR's items are missing in it (rednet energy cables, needle gun ...). It seems Tekkit has a dev version of MFR too, so (EDIT: saying crap, it's an official version, but I can't find if it's MFR that outputs the RFs or TE that does the conversion) we don't really have somewhere to get info from except testing in game, but I remember reading that conversion inside TE only works one way and in one place: conduits outputing MJs when needed

Edited by Niverton

This wiki page is outdated, a lot of MFR's items are missing in it (rednet energy cables, needle gun ...). It seems Tekkit has a dev version of MFR too, so (EDIT: saying crap, it's an official version, but I can't find if it's MFR that outputs the RFs or TE that does the conversion) we don't really have somewhere to get info from except testing in game, but I remember reading that conversion inside TE only works one way and in one place: conduits outputing MJs when needed

It would definitely be mfr that does it, because the galacticraft solar panels definitely don't, even if you try to pass them thru conduits

It would definitely be mfr that does it, because the galacticraft solar panels definitely don't, even if you try to pass them thru conduits

According to the various TE3 FAQs TE conduits output RF or MJ as required to what they connect to. GC Panels as far as I can tell output EU(?) or MJ, but never RF (no configuration I could find to make them work). And GC wiring is incompatible with basically everything that isn't GC.

Yay science!

MFR machines specifically accept any for of UE-compatible energy.

Galacticraft Solar Panels do output EU or MJ, but since there is no EU-based mod in Tekkit any more, they should be producing MJ exclusively. You can get them to feed into an RF network if you connect GC Aluminium wires with RF Conduits, but the connection will be quirky and prone to either failure or RF overproduction. There is no clean solution for that right now, unless you do what SirLappy did and add an external mod for MJ-to-RF conversion.

Edited by Curunir

Galacticraft Solar Panels do output EU or MJ, but since there is no EU-based mod in Tekkit any more, they should be producing MJ exclusively. You can get them to feed into an RF network if you connect GC Aluminium wires with RF Conduits, but the connection will be quirky and prone to either failure or RF overproduction. There is no clean solution for that right now, unless you do what SirLappy did and add an external mod for MJ-to-RF conversion.

I don't really mind. It just makes them super wonky, and makes Galacticraft machinery essentially non-compatible with everything else since they're the only EU producer. Maybe Galacticraft can be updated to RF at some point (but that's a topic for another website).

I'm probably gonna dig out a few useful mods and throw them into the tekkit cocktail. Once I've figured everything out anyway.

I use a huge grid of advanced solar panels, each individual one hooked up to a leadstone cell using heavy aluminum wire, then from that cell I connect multiple leadstone cells using redstone conduit that leads to a resonant cell. It's a great source of free power, my grid generates around 2000 RF/tick when the sun is up. I havent noticed any issues with RF power generation with it...

While Galacticraft MJ producers are rather useless, you can power Galacticraft machinery just fine with an RF network, as they will accept MJ, and Conduits will output that. Just keep in mind that GC machines only have one side from which they accept power input, unlike most others in the pack.

Again, there is not EU production or consumption going on in Tekkit, just MJ and RF.