Dropbox Modpack not working! please help!

rjstonge

I recently made a modpack and posted it on technic platform. i used dropbox to get my download url or whatever it's called into the modpack profile. when i used the platform url link to try to run the pack on my launcher, it says this:

Error downloading file for the following pack: Joel's Super War Pack

Failed to download https://www.dropbox.com/s/n5mxk2ehxwk1o7h/Modpack.rar

Please consult the modpack author

I dont know whats wrong or how to fix it does anyone know?

• Discord Moderator

@rjstonge:

It will give you that error if there is something fatally wrong inside your modpack archive. In your case your modpack.jar file is all screwed up:

1. It is in RAR format. All archive files intended for use in the platform MUST be in ZIP format.
  2. The contents of the modpack.jar file are inside a subfolder inside the archive. This is "bad".

The modpack.jar file is simply the correct Forge universal binary JAR file renamed to "modpack.jar". Don't mess with it other than renaming the original downloaded Forge JAR.

There may or may not be other problems. I didn't test the pack locally. If you still have difficulties after fixing this just come back here.

@emesquita:

I responded to you in your thread.

• Discord Moderator

The API URL is the URL that you copy/paste into the launcher to add the pack.

• Your modpack contents are all in a subfolder. This won't work. The main folders (bin, config, mods, etc.) MUST be at the top level of the folder structure in your modpack archive.
  • As I mentioned previously, your modpack.jar is STILL in RAR format. That file MUST be a ZIP format archive. Just download Forge and rename it to "modpack.jar". Don't extract it. Don't move things around inside of it. Don't re-compress it. Just rename it to modpack.jar, put it in your bin folder and you are done.
  • Forge/MC 1.6.4 does not use a coremods folder in any way. All mods go in, or below, the mods folder.

Fix these and come back if you still have problems.

• Discord Moderator

You are closer at least. Your modpack.jar is actually named "modpack.jar.jar", but it is the correct file. Do a Google search for "windows show file extensions" and follow the instructions to ensure you don't make this mistake in the future.

Your config file should not be empty. It should contain all the config files for the mods in your pack. If you have an empty config folder then you aren't done yet.

• Discord Moderator

The "correct" way to build your pack is to test it as you go. Each mod will generate a config file inside the config folder in your test environment. Those are the files you would include after you finish testing.

• 9 years later...

Mine is doing the same thing except its on someone elses modpack I am trying to download and play ExZoo but it pops up with the error message failed to download https://www.dropbox.com/s/bd49gq603h3t6i/ExZoo.zip?dl=1: the specified URL does not exist (HTTP 404). is there a way to fix it on my side because I tried contacting the modpack author but they haven't been online for a while. 

• 6 months later...