Hello everyone,

I'm looking for some help to start up a new tekkit server which i hope will be able to compete with Tekkify. I plan on having much of the same mods installed but i want to allow as may of the items as i can, only banning the ones that mess with grief prevention. I also want to try and write some custom mods to fill the gaps that other servers wont be able to fill.

I'm looking for someone with experience as an op on a server to possibly help me out and answer some questions. I plan on setting up a donation website where people who donate get special privileges, you know how it works. so whoever wants to help out we can split the profit, after i cover the cost of hosting the server. I'm mainly looking for help with setting up the plugins and grief prevention because i want to be 100% sure that's done right. 

A little about me: I'm a computer science major from the University of Central Florida. I'm going into my Junior year after taking a year off to join the National Guard. I have plenty of experience with more programming languages than I can count, I've just never written a mod before, but i'll pick it up quick.

You can download my modpack now from the Technic launcher with the URL below:

http://www.technicpack.net/api/modpack/thefactorytest

it comes with a link to my server I'm setting up and you'll log in without build privileges. The server is also up and down allot so don't be surprised if it is not up when you try.

Thanks for all your help! The Technic community is great form all the posts I've read :)

Hello,

I think I speak on behalf of anyone who would want to do this. You may want some kind of contract deal. If you are super serious about doing a great server, I have just a few suggestions.

Don't make a minecraft server, just to make money. Its against the EULA, and it will turn players off, use them to make donations and don't restrict items via ranks. (against law).

If your really serious about doing it, you should really start making your own plugins, etc as one of the things players love are custom plugins. It makes your server more unique and fun! 

Hire a team of builders (if your really serious) and build a good server spawn. First impressions are everything. This can run you 3 to 5 hundred dollars to get a really good spawn.

Start small, grow a small player base. I can never emphasis this enough. If you try to go big in the first few months you will fail miserably. Grow your player base, slowly and surely.

Most networks, started off being a small factions / creative server, so if you notice this pattern stick with it!

Get a good team of staff, do not hire randomly people. When players start to join your network look out for really helpful and kind players. That would make very good staff.

Treat your staff well, make sure they get to have fun too. They will work harder and overall increase the Moral of the server. Really make sure you do this!!!

Use good ethic's, listen to what players want and really try your best to bring a unique, simple, and amazing area for people to play. :)

- Pugs

Thanks for the advice Pugsley. I'm not sure what you mean by a contract deal?

Also, I should have been more clear, I'm not looking to make money, just cover the cost of hosting the server.

I want to stay away from "professional builders". I have a few friends who are helping me out as well but we're all new to  this so it's the blind leading the blind right now.

I'm actually still doing the army thing right now but i graduate training on the 24th and when i get home i'll have much more time and be able to write custom mods like I'm planning.

My problem right now is that there are so many options for plugins I don't know where to start. I've spend the past three hours looking at different permissions plugins. 

You seem to have some experience in the field. What plugins should I be looking at to set up permissions and grief prevention? I guess i'll start there. I've been looking at Essentials but I'm not sure if that is the best solution or if i should go with WorldGuard or GriefPrevention?

Thanks for your advice!

Hello,

First off, World Guard requires permissions to set a region. You need World Edit (World editor) to do this. So I don't recommend World Guard for player to player basis. That is more for admins to protect a spawn from grief, etc.

Their are Protection Stones, and numerous other really good protection plugins. It really goes around preference. I really love Protection Stones, as it works amazing with other mods and you can add stuff to protect. By default it only protections vanilla chests, etc.

I highly recommend a rollback plugin such as, Core Protect, Prism, LogBlock, etc these are great for rolling back any grief you might have.

Permissions, I personally use bPermissions. It really is about preference. They all do the same thing, so its really about what is appealing to you.

Essentials is the top dog when it comes to "Commands" its widely used amongst servers, you could also use its Cousin, CommandBook. 

As for contract, I meant (Getting a share of profits, etc) a contract enforces that both sides commit to their agreement. In a case that you do get a donation and maybe back out of a (deal) then both sides are protected from damages.

It will keep both parties calm, and at ease. Ofcourse you would have to be held to the agreement but you are more likely to find a experienced operator. 

This is all coming from my 1 year experience at Programming, Mods, Plugins, and running minecraft servers.