Elder scrolls MMO

Neowulf

I'd rather see the art direction that I know will be worked towards, than pixely crap.

The bad thing about WoW style combat is that it gets /really/ boring. There's no skill involved. Anyone can learn to press this button at this time. I mean hell, there are addons that can tell you exactly what to do, and when to do it. Where is the fun in that?

Once again, So you want them to lie to you on what the game looks like?

I'd rather see the games graphics, as is. Not some faked up cgi that might not look anything like the final product.

And I guess combat's all relative. You don't like it, but I do. As does Jakj. But thats the beauty of it, if you don't like the combat, you don't have to play :P

Personally, I wish minecrafts combat style were a little more than, "quickly click until it's dead."

Wait, don't tell me you think skyrom has skilled combat. Press mouse to light hit, hold mouse to heavy hit, right mouse for other hand...

Street Fighter it isn't.

I like Skyrim combat, but it is NOT deep.

Wait, don't tell me you think skyrom has skilled combat. Press mouse to light hit, hold mouse to heavy hit, right mouse for other hand...

Street Fighter it isn't.

I like Skyrim combat, but it is NOT deep.

I actually tried doing complicated stuff, which involved me learning all the spells and weapons and such, then using them as I could. Long story short, made the game far more complicated than it needed to be.

Then, on the next playthrough...I just kinda charged forward and beat people to death with a mace and shield....And despite playing on the second highest difficulty....it's much easier than the other game.

Long story short, click button make works good.

I don't think Skyrims combat system is deep. I do think it's more immersive. Part of the reason could be the first person camera, and hence a direct view of the action. But also a few other things are smoothed out.

Take the hud. In WoW you see your inventory, your spells, etc, right on screen. Those things are tucked in menu's with Skyrim. You also see things like spell cool downs as a timer on a spell, whereas other games show things like that with sounds or motions. Same with buffs and debuffs.

The bad thing about WoW style combat is that it gets /really/ boring. There's no skill involved. Anyone can learn to press this button at this time. I mean hell' date=' there are addons that can tell you exactly what to do, and when to do it. Where is the fun in that?[/quote']I respectfully disagree :)

Disclaimer:

I was one of the most active theorycrafters on shadowpriest.com for a few years until I quit the game ~1.5 years ago. I almost exclusively played pve.

In wow the difficulty/fun/skill depends vastly on how you play it. If all you do is grind dailys and do low-tier raids (raidfinder, post-nerfs, non-hardmode, ...) then yeah, it gets boring really fast. If you attempt to progress on the cutting edge and are figuring out ways to get that last fraction of a percentage performance out in varying situations it's a whole different world. Getting the most damage out to 2-5 targets at a time, timing cooldowns and movement correctly was basically a science and perfecting it certainly had pretty nice results considering in WotLK during TotC patch I was still easily in the top of damage meters while everyone were whining about how bad spriests were and instead of being behind equally skilled players by 30%+ like them I was perhaps at around 10% or so. I can safely say that theorycrafting offline gave me at least as much fun as actually trying the stuff for real in-game.

tl:dr version would be that wow-style combat is rather demanding and skill based if you actually tried to get the most out of your char instead of doing minimal required for passing.

Also, leveling the first 10 levels in GW2 gave me the impression that combat there is actually dumbed down vs WoW in most respects.

• Moderators

People still play MMOs?

I played Runescape for about 2.5 years, give or take a few months. I think Jagex was on the gold, so is jakj.

If TES MMO could adopt jagex's idea of free-to-play with no timelimit in a certain area, just to let people try it out, then they would attract more people then WoW ever did. RS never had the best graphics, fighting or teams of devs and designers to put lots of content into it. But it is still a MASSIVE MO for a good reason. Let the players choose membership in their own time.

I played Runescape for about 2.5 years, give or take a few months. I think Jagex was on the gold, so is jakj.

If TES MMO could adopt jagex's idea of free-to-play with no timelimit in a certain area, just to let people try it out, then they would attract more people then WoW ever did. RS never had the best graphics, fighting or teams of devs and designers to put lots of content into it. But it is still a MASSIVE MO for a good reason. Let the players choose membership in their own time.

...The 2007 Sunday Times Rich List listed Andrew and Paul Gower as the 654th richest entrepreneurs in the UK, worth £113 million...

113m pounds. ~230m USD. Runescape was launched in 2001. That's 11 years.

...World of Warcraft has 10.2 million subscribers as of December 2011...

10.2*15 =153. 153 million USD, in one month. In just TWO MONTHS, WoW makes more money than Runescape has in it's entire lifetime.

Even pretending that Runescape's payment system comes anywhere near WoW's subscriptions is absolute fallacy.

1) Anyone who buys more than one month at a time pays less than 15/mo.

2) Many subscriptions are from areas like China that don't necessarily pay a flat subscription rate.

3) That's gross, not net.

4) You're assuming that subscription number is accurate and consistent for any period.

Stay in school, kid.

Either way I really don't like MMOs, and especially not MMOs based on a single-player game. It hacks out all the exploration, lore, and just general flavor of the setting and game and replaces it with thirteen-year-olds screaming on voice chat about MOAR DPS and HEALTANK shit, as well as the xXx420NOSCOPEKILLER420xXx username bullshit. It replaces "Greetings, Hero" with "wan 2 groop 4 12m dung ned heelr" as well.

Also that shit physically hurt to type.

1) Anyone who buys more than one month at a time pays less than 15/mo.

2) Many subscriptions are from areas like China that don't necessarily pay a flat subscription rate.

3) That's gross, not net.

4) You're assuming that subscription number is accurate and consistent for any period.

Stay in school, kid.

It's a difference of about 70 million usd. That easily makes up for any fluctuation in subs from month to month, and again, it doesn't matter. Dollar for dollar, Blizzard brings in more money in two months, than Runescape has in it's entire history.

Either way I really don't like MMOs, and especially not MMOs based on a single-player game. It hacks out all the exploration, lore, and just general flavor of the setting and game and replaces it with thirteen-year-olds screaming on voice chat about MOAR DPS and HEALTANK shit, as well as the xXx420NOSCOPEKILLER420xXx username bullshit. It replaces "Greetings, Hero" with "wan 2 groop 4 12m dung ned heelr" as well.

Also that shit physically hurt to type.

Greetings Healer, I'm the noble xXx420NOSCOPEKILLER420xXx from the noble lands of ur mom, and I wish to inquire whether you would like join me and ten of my other noble friends on a quest for the helm of +20 Cunt Smashing. Also, if you have any friends that are grand in their ability to slay beasts, it'd be mighty fine.

What's that?

Oh go fuck yourself then.

Dollar for dollar' date=' Blizzard brings in more money in two months, than Runescape has in it's entire history.[/quote']How many millions did they get with the sparkle horse mount in 24h after putting it on sale? I think they sold around couple hundred thousands of those on first day at 25$/pop?

Also, there are the game+expansions themselves. Assuming that 5M people ever got to play wotlk that means at minimum 5M vanillas + 5M TBC + 5M wotlk. At 40$/piece it's around 600M$ before any subscription fees and I'm quite sure the real number is a few times higher than that.

There is no question that in absolute terms Wow has earned the most money out of ALL games ever made. If it's actually worth it is a whole different subject.