Compiling a modpack

Ben_Holy_Land

For all of you out there that are/were having the same troubles as me putting together a modpack, I am making this guide for you. Please feel free to message me/post revisions below. Without any further ado, here we go.

Step 1: Find your mods

Every mod pack needs mods. So go find some that you want! For this example we will use Industrial craft 2 and Buildcraft.

Once you have downloaded the ZIP files that you want, we will create a quick file structure to organize how the downloader reads our mods.

Step 2: Create some structure

You will want to create the following files in an empty folder (which we will entitle Custom Modpack).

1. bin - where we will place the .jar files so that it loads your modpack not as vanilla.
  2. config - where you can set certain configurations for people on your server
  3. coremods - the place where coremods go
  4. mods -the place where your individual mods go.

(For some reason, screen shots and I are not getting along so I will just link all the pictures)

Sample modpack folder

Step 3: Create the modpack.jar file

Go grab a fresh copy of the forge mod loader (FML) from their website.

Extract all of the .class files in the FML file and place them in the bin folder. From here, select all of the files in the folder you are in (control-a), right click, and compress the files.

Photo

Rename the resulting "Archive.zip" file to "modpack.jar". If prompted whether or not you really want to do this, show it who's boss and do it anyways.

Photo

**Caution: If you mess this up, when you download the pack, it will not change the .jar and simply run as vanilla. If after attempting to fix with an updated file, pack still launches at vanilla, you must go into the local client side files and delete the modpack.jar file. When you download the pack again it should launch with FML.**

**Attention WinRar Users: make sure that when you compile the .class files from FML into the "Archive.zip" folder and change it into "modpack.jar" you ensure that the "modpack.jar" is a .jar file and not a .rar file.**

**DO NOT distribute the actual minecraft.jar in your modpack (similar to how users sometimes mod their client). The modpack.jar file should contain ONLY the FML and other .jar files that would normally be required in the minecraft.jar. Distributing the minecraft.jar file is PIRACY. **

Step 4: Add your mods

To add your mods (in this case buildcraft and industrial craft) simply drag them into the "mods" folder which you created. Straight up.

Step 5: Compile the modpack

Almost there! Now just select the four folder which we created (bin, mods, coremods, config), right click, and compress them into a .zip file.

Photo

Rename the resulting Archive.zip file to whatever you would like. For our case, we will name it mods.zip.

Photo

Step 6: Host your .zip file somewhere.

There are tons of different options for this. Personally I use drop box but the options are nearly infinite. Upload your .zip file somewhere on the internet, paste the link into your platform panel, and publish your mod pack.

Step 7: Enjoy some modded minecraft.

If you did all of the above steps correctly, you should be able to load minecraft up with all of the mods.

Step 8: Applying this to your server

When launching these for a server, simply follow the instructions on the FML website for installation of FML on a server. Once it is installed, place the mods/coremods/config you have already set up client side into the mods/coremods/config directory created when running your server with FML on it.

Common Problems and Solutions:

• My mod pack loadz as vanilla. Y UU NO WORK! (end caps lock)

Chances are your "modpack.jar" file is actually either "modpack.jar.zip" or "modpack.rar" please ensure that your file format is properly changed. A simple google search will tell you how to how to unhide file extensions for whatever program you are using allowing you to properly change the name.

• Didn't work.

Please include more information as to what didn't work. Download files and error reports are VERY helpful.

• Platform isn't downloading the pack correctly/at all.

Please ensure that you are using the correct URL in platform. For dropbox users, this is the "Public Key" or after right clicking, the "Copy link". For MediaFire users, right click the green "Download Here" box and select "Copy Link". Please make sure you are posting the direct link to the file download and not just the website URL link where the file is.

• "Insert Problem Here"

Please read through the previous pages to see if your problem has not already been discussed. I can't manually go through every persons file and sift out what it wrong.

Also, if for some reason you cannot get your modpack to work or are having trouble with my guide feel free to read IceWolf's guide on Building Your Own Modpack.

I hope this guide has aided you in creating a functioning modpack that you can play with. I wish you all the best of luck with your modding experience.

• Replies 223
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You missed out the part where you actually download Forge :P

You probably want to put that part in bold, and perhaps provide a link to the Forge file server, because that's one of the most important steps.

NO NO NO you are distributing the actual minecraft jar in your modpack this is not correct. modpack.jar contains Forge and other JAR MODS, NOT THE MINECRAFT JAR ITSELF, your walkthrough enables piracy and will only fuel the bad will towards these forums, please make a proper modpack.jar which only contains the FORGE FILES and OTHER JAR MODS.

NOT MINECRAFT ITSELF

• Forum Administrators

What vortex said. This is the very wrong way to do it. You do not need to include any minecraft files in your modpack.jar. Just Forge and any other mods that are required to be IN the minecraft.jar

So, in order properly do this, you create a modpack.jar that ONLY includes the FML files and Jar Mods that require themselves to be in the mincecaft.jar?

Yep, that's how you do it.

And as for there not being any information, well I guess that's why we're all here :)

Try and make your walkthrough perfect, then nobody can complain anymore.

I edited the post to properly show how to make the modpack.jar file. Hopefully this eases confusion. I also added a disclaimer at the bottom about distributing the minecraft.jar file. Hopefully this is correct. Thanks for the help. I just felt like this section needed a comprehensive view on how to properly do this. I wrote the guide as I figured it out how to do this myself.

Please help. I've tried going through this process several times. I Follow these instructions exactly, zip the entire folder (I've tried zipping the four individual folders as well.) then put it onto media fire. Once I have my Technic platform URL all hooked up I load the modpack into the launcher. However once I launch it the vanilla game is all that loads. please help!

It didn't work, my pack still loaded as vanilla.

Please help. I've tried going through this process several times. I Follow these instructions exactly, zip the entire folder (I've tried zipping the four individual folders as well.) then put it onto media fire. Once I have my Technic platform URL all hooked up I load the modpack into the launcher. However once I launch it the vanilla game is all that loads. please help!

Make sure that you are compressing the items in the bin folder to a .jar file and not a .rar file. That can cause issues.

When the dialogue box to compress the files comes up I save it as modpack.jar and then rename modpack.jar just to be safe, still no luck :( Interestingly enough when I manually place the modpack.jar into the bin after I've downloaded the pack from my profile the mods will load. I just wish I could get it so that the pack will work as soon as it is installed into the launcher.

Here's my modpack btw:

http://www.mediafire.com/?nqxf4s8x563kzfl

When the dialogue box to compress the files comes up I save it as modpack.jar and then rename modpack.jar just to be safe, still no luck :( Interestingly enough when I manually place the modpack.jar into the bin after I've downloaded the pack from my profile the mods will load. I just wish I could get it so that the pack will work as soon as it is installed into the launcher.

Here's my modpack btw:

http://www.mediafire.com/?nqxf4s8x563kzfl

For sure it will work when you manually place it in. The idea is to get the platform to do that for you and your players. Also, I just downloaded your modpack from the file and in the Bin, your "modpack.jar" is actually saved as "modpack.jar.zip". Try removing the zip file attachment and changing the actual file (not just the name) for modpack.jar.

thank you so much, I can't see how I made such a stupid mistake, I've since corrected it however and it seems to have had no effect on getting the pack to work straight form the launcher. I'll try to get it working again tomorrow but for now I'm quite tired of this and I'm going to take a break. Thank you so much for all of your help. Also something else I noticed, I don't think the pack int that download link actually had mods in it. I suppose I'll figure it out eventually. Again thank you so much for your help. Ta'.

thank you so much, I can't see how I made such a stupid mistake, I've since corrected it however and it seems to have had no effect on getting the pack to work straight form the launcher. I'll try to get it working again tomorrow but for now I'm quite tired of this and I'm going to take a break. Thank you so much for all of your help. Also something else I noticed, I don't think the pack int that download link actually had mods in it. I suppose I'll figure it out eventually. Again thank you so much for your help. Ta'.

No problem. Sometimes we all need a second eye ;) (or I guess a third unless you're a Cyclops). I know when I was trying to get it to work, I completely deleted the "bin" file from my client side and made it start all over again downloading everything again. The update system is weird and if it senses that the name already exists, it does not overwrite the file (especially if it is the same version). Try deleting the bin files and re-downloading the pack. That should work.

I followed all of the steps here, and the launcher only runs vanilla mc when I login. I really don't know what's wrong

Did you check all the possible bits of error (like what milk1432 had)? I can't really give you more information without actually seeing the pack itself.

Did you check all the possible bits of error (like what milk1432 had)? I can't really give you more information without actually seeing the pack itself.

it seems like platform doesnt even download my modpack

heres the link to my modpack. i plan on making an explosives modpack, but i cant do that intill i figure out whats wrong. i put my modpack on dropbox, i dont know if this is a problem

https://www.dropbox.com/s/jn5y6egu3vpzmto/Factorycraft.zip?m

it seems like platform doesnt even download my modpack

heres the link to my modpack. i plan on making an explosives modpack, but i cant do that intill i figure out whats wrong. i put my modpack on dropbox, i dont know if this is a problem

https://www.dropbox.com/s/jn5y6egu3vpzmto/Factorycraft.zip?m

Are you placing that link into Platform? You need to place the automatic download link into platform. This can only be obtained by placing the .zip file in the "Public" folder on your drop box. One you have that, you will get a "Public Key" by right clicking I believe. (IE:https://dl.dropbox.com/u/67646975/mods.zip). This is the only way that Platform will download your pack.

Edit: Otherwise, from what I can tell, your modpack looks to be correctly setup.

Are you placing that link into Platform? You need to place the automatic download link into platform. This can only be obtained by placing the .zip file in the "Public" folder on your drop box. One you have that, you will get a "Public Key" by right clicking I believe. (IE:https://dl.dropbox.com/u/67646975/mods.zip). This is the only way that Platform will download your pack.

Edit: Otherwise, from what I can tell, your modpack looks to be correctly setup.

my dropbox doesnt have a public folder now. instead of seeing "Copy public link" i see "share link". it also seems like dropbox's download page isn't automatic. this is what i get:https://www.dropbox.com/s/oqvmgbz0cjbxztf/Dropbox.tiff?m

my dropbox doesnt have a public folder now. instead of seeing "Copy public link" i see "share link". it also seems like dropbox's download page isn't automatic. this is what i get:https://www.dropbox.com/s/oqvmgbz0cjbxztf/Dropbox.tiff?m

You need a dropbox public folder in order to distribute the pack. I don't know how to get one if it already doesn't have it. Check the dropbox website. That's where the modpack needs to go in order to get a public link though.