Kerbal Space Program

Xylord

Which version of mechjeb are you using? 2.0.x is a prerelease, and I think it has some sort of automatic maneuver node thing. Never tried it but it could be problematic.

Don't know about 1.9.8 though. I guess try uninstalling either?

... On the plus side I just got to the mun twice by having mechjeb get me halfway there then manually shooting straight towards the mun once it screwed up and said my next node was a 67 year burn in 68 years...

There is a possible fix for this in the MechJeb thread.

I'm having trouble placing flags, I can't do anything to affect the orientation of the flag. The Kerbal always turns and plants the flag in the same direction. I did have fun with the "External Command Seat" and a poorly designed lander though.

kspGoingIn.png

kspVictory.png

Tried the mechjeb fix, now it just warps me directly into the mun. I think it fixed the prediction but now ignores the closest approach setting.

Same as before the fix it's easy enough to just get my probes into munar orbit once the hohman transfer is burned.

Also, second try for munar landing worked better than the first. Lander still sploded but was slow enough that my kethane miner/processor rover is upright and ready to go.

• 2 weeks later...

I almost made it to the mun earlier... Ran out of fuel and ended up escaping kerbin orbit and now have a probe in orbit around the sun which was ment to land on the mun... That said I might have had enough fuel if I hadn't accidently detached the solid fuel boosters before they ran dry. Also I have a Kerbal stranded in a near perfect orbit around Kerbin because again I ran out of fuel and it wasn't supposed to orbit but come back down again instead.

Great Game though.

Problem 1: What problem? The mission parameters said the Mün, but that was obviously a ruse to distract the enemy! The real goal was putting it in a solar orbit all along!

Problem 2: Yeah. On the bright side, now you get to practice rendezvous and save that poor Kerbal!

Tip for a low grav lander, the trv-200 stack bi-coupler (the thing with 1 top connector and 2 bottom ones) makes a great short stack nuclear engine pod.

Stick the nuclear engine on one bottom port, a FLT-200 or 400 fuel tank on the other port, and an RCS tank and thruster on the top port and you've got an all purpose interceptor/lander engine pod that can connect low on the lander frame without interfering with landing gear. Just connect the side of the fuel tank to your lander and keep it symmetrical.

• 2 weeks later...

Congratulations!

Now, does the thing have enough fuel to bring them back safely? ;)

Tons. The only problem is that I launched into a simi polar orbit and is making getting home a little tricky...

My first try with the KSP demo didn't go so well.... I just wanted to go up then come straight back down. I went up, de-coupled the launch stage, and released the parachute. I went to high and was coming down too fast and the parachute snapped. Ooops.

My first try with the KSP demo didn't go so well.... I just wanted to go up then come straight back down. I went up, de-coupled the launch stage, and released the parachute. I went to high and was coming down too fast and the parachute snapped. Ooops.

... don't use the physichs warp, fool.

there's a reason there's a warning.

... don't use the physichs warp, fool.

there's a reason there's a warning.

I don't remember if I did..... I meant hit the ground at 400 m/s. =P I think i'll try again later. This time I'll save some fuel to slow my descent before I decouple.

I don't remember if I did..... I meant hit the ground at 400 m/s. =P I think i'll try again later. This time I'll save some fuel to slow my descent before I decouple.

the parachute should slow you down to WAAAAAYYY below that unless you have physics warp...

the parachute should slow you down to WAAAAAYYY below that unless you have physics warp...

Oh, will it? Good. I thought maybe I was going to fast for the parachute so when it caught and expanded the force was to great so the connection snapped or something. I dunno, I'm a KSP noob.

Edit: Played the demo for a few minutes just now, and had a successful mission, well, test. I built a little rocket and puttered around Kerbal for as long as my fuel lasted. Apparently engines explode when hitting the ground, even at 13.2 m/s. Next time I'll add landing struts. =/ The kerbal survived, though! =D

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks to Leth and anyone else who watched the stream tonight! The crashes were plenty and the bugs annoying! Tonight I got the interplanety core into orbit, ironed out the bugs with my launcher, and planned out the rest of the ship.

Tomorrow I want to get the crew habitation and a few of the propulsion drives docked and ready then plot my multi-planet flight plan. Viewer input will be heard and likely listened to as I am next to clueless with all I'm doing.

Also on the list is some probes and some landers. I have space for four of each and want to have them viewer made. Due to symmetry issues, two of each type will be used. (i.e. two different models landers and two different probes) If you wish to submit a design, upload it to dropbox then send me the link via PM here on the forums. (Don't bother including the docking ports as they may need to be moved with the other, also keep them under 20 tons and 25ish parts. Landers should be able to return crew to orbit from a large planet)

Next stream will be tomorrow at about 8:00pm - 9:30pm EST. I hope to see some more viewers next time around!

I don't watch LPs, more fun to just play.

I just spent two hours screwing around with parts from spitfire, hexcan, B9, home, mechjeb, and lazors making various drones. Mainly sticking electric propellers on top of hexcan RTGs and making little helicopters with lazors on them.

Crowning achievement is a home admin module, RTGs, propellors, and jet engines in a drone that can hover literally forever at a pretty decent altitude, beaming fuel as needed.

I watch scott manley's mod spotlights, those usually give me all the into needed to make a mod in KSP dance for me.

Though the forums gave me the idea of adding the extraplanetary launchpad's ore mining code to kethane drills. Much nicer looking and my resource gatherer only needs a single drill to get anything it needs.