Does technicpack make money?

8keep

Hello, I saw there are ads on the front page of the website. I love technic, I have nothing against it. But how much money a month do you make from those ads? And have you asked all the mod creators if you can make money from their ads?

Hello, I saw there are ads on the front page of the website. I love technic, I have nothing against it. But how much money a month do you make from those ads? And have you asked all the mod creators if you can make money from their ads?

???

Yeah, I'm pretty sure KakerMix does not have a bunch of server nodes in his bedroom running this site as some sleazy way to get some cash. Don't get me wrong, that would be awesome if he did, but how would he ever get to sleep with all the noise? I tried doing that in college, and my roommate almost killed me. No, if you aren't a company, you usually have to hand this stuff off to a third-party for hosting - and you usually have to pay dearly for it. If you've ever tried to host a Minecraft server or website on a server you don't own, then you know what Niavmai is talking about.

P.S. Scroll down to the bottom of the website and read the text that is trying to blend in to the background. It will tell you who's hosting the site and who is actually making money. As Niavmai said, the software is SMF. You should check up on this stuff before suggesting that someone is operating something illegal. It can cause unnecessary embarrassment for the individual even when the bookkeeping is perfectly legit.

Holy crap, a Terabyte? i would shudder to get your hosting bill. If you come up with a way to get funding i'll happily join in, even if it means clicking on adfly links for a few years :P.

Edit: Just put up a donation link to keep the launcher going, it's so nice having that awesome way to launch vanilla minecraft...

<_<

>_>

Holy crap, a Terabyte? i would shudder to get your hosting bill. If you come up with a way to get funding i'll happily join in, even if it means clicking on adfly links for a few years :P.

Edit: Just put up a donation link to keep the launcher going, it's so nice having that awesome way to launch vanilla minecraft...

<_<

>_>

We're not going to accept donations ourselves, ever probably, if it's technic related. Maybe a small ad in the information section on the launcher? Currently it's just being used for a forums link and a big empty white space. I can't think of anything else really, but we're loath to subject people to ads. If we keep getting a Terabyte of bandwidth a week though, welp!

• Forum Administrators

<_<

>_>

If you want to donate any money at all, pick your favorite mod authors from the main page here and donate to them following the links. Donations always should go to them, always. We are never going to use adf.ly (never never) and we are never going to accept donations. Any ads we put up are going to be passive, unlike ad.fly.

Wait a second you're going through one terabyte a week right? That means LOADS of money which you guys earn from you real life jobs, but eventually it will get so expensive that the technic site will have to be shut down. IF you don't accept donations what about people sending money directly to your server company to pay for it.

Also antother suggestion is to clear the data in your forums every month, this should keep costs down and you'll need only ::) 4 terrabytes to handle it, you could keep some vital stickies and maiin tutorials by players but that's pretty much it. Also am i contributing to this insane amount of activity by posting so much :'( ?

If you want to donate any money at all, pick your favorite mod authors from the main page here and donate to them following the links. Donations always should go to them, always. We are never going to use adf.ly (never never) and we are never going to accept donations. Any ads we put up are going to be passive, unlike ad.fly.

We're not going to accept donations ourselves, ever probably, if it's technic related. Maybe a small ad in the information section on the launcher? Currently it's just being used for a forums link and a big empty white space. I can't think of anything else really, but we're loath to subject people to ads. If we keep getting a Terabyte of bandwidth a week though, welp!

Yeah i think i've donated to all the big cheeses in the technic pack by now, hope you guys get some ads or something up, if i cant help you directly then passively will have to do.

Thanks for all the hard work on the pack guys, keep it up!

Also antother suggestion is to clear the data in your forums every month, this should keep costs down and you'll need only ::) 4 terrabytes to handle it, you could keep some vital stickies and maiin tutorials by players but that's pretty much it. Also am i contributing to this insane amount of activity by posting so much :'( ?

Naw don't you worry about it. The majority of that traffic is launcher downloads and whatnot. Post to your hearts content! What's the point of upgrading to this giant awesome server to host everything if people don't use it.

Wow. That's just... wow. I now truly appreciate what you guys do for us and other people. You're funding this with your own hard earned money and get nothing back in return except idiots who whine and us other people who can only thank you, and give nothing in return. I hope this doesn't cause you to go into debt or something. That would be horrible.

Wow. That's just... wow. I now truly appreciate what you guys do for us and other people. You're funding this with your own hard earned money and get nothing back in return except idiots who whine and us other people who can only thank you, and give nothing in return. I hope this doesn't cause you to go into debt or something. That would be horrible.

Yeah like I said, no worries. We do this because we want to. Technic is too good an experience not to share, and with the launcher we now have something we can offer that is unique. If the cost of offering that ever gets too high, we can just put a small passive ad somewhere and I'm sure it will help keep us going. We're not worried about the cost. The most important thing is the talent. The awesome people who work with us on the team, and the great mods in the pack. Losing those would be worse then any amount we spend to keep this going.

Just wanted to join the circle jerk and say thanks too.

I'd throw money at you, if you'd let me.

I will go and donate to the mod developers though.

Great work guys, enjoying SMP 1.1.4 and Technic 6 a lot. I don't think I would have bothered with all of these excellent mods if I had to do the hard work of installing, testing, and making them all work together so nicely.

• 4 weeks later...

<_<

>_>

Yeah for guys who cant donate, we could have a adfly/adcraft page but it woud be OPTIONAL. I would click the adfly link like 20 times a day. I LOVE YOU TECHNIC GUYS( no offence).

Yeah for guys who cant donate, we could have a adfly/adcraft page but it woud be OPTIONAL. I would click the adfly link like 20 times a day. I LOVE YOU TECHNIC GUYS( no offence).

Yeah, that'd be nice. I don't think that'd be a problem too, with the modmakers. But you'd have to talk to them first.

Why don't you guys use bittorrent protocols for the mods the Launcher downloads? Have a few torrents users can download to be dedicated seeds and whatnot.

Also putting the Servers up on a torrent is a no-brainer, seeing as those are direct downloads.

The Launcher is only 52 KB so no worries there.

Also to everybody discussing adfly as a solution, lol.

Why don't you guys use bittorrent protocols for the mods the Launcher downloads? Have a few torrents users can download to be dedicated seeds and whatnot.

Also putting the Servers up on a torrent is a no-brainer, seeing as those are direct downloads.

If they did that I hope they would still offer the current was as well. My college got sued by the RIAA and blocks any and all p2p and torrent services. Have to get a patch to get WoW to install properly.

• Forum Administrators

This can't ever be the main way to send this stuff out, it could only ever be a supplement, basically for the reasons linkthegamer posted about. Torrent is nice, but it isn't the end-all-be-all. Also the Launcher only runs for a little bit, then shuts off. We'd have to force it to stay open for the torrents to flow, and this might affect connections when playing online, requires the launcher to stay on instead of getting the hell out of your way and bllaaaaaaah.

We've thought about it, believe me. It just isn't the way.

Hotlinking the launcher to the original downloads might work. Would be a dickish move though.

What about a 3rd party donation setup. Donations go towards server upkeep, and extra gets distributed to the mod authors. There's probably some 3rd party website out there that manages donation setups like that, which should alleviate most of the fears you guys are profiting from it.

Hotlinking the launcher to the original downloads might work. Would be a dickish move though.

What about a 3rd party donation setup. Donations go towards server upkeep, and extra gets distributed to the mod authors. There's probably some 3rd party website out there that manages donation setups like that, which should alleviate most of the fears you guys are profiting from it.

The more complex you make a donation scheme like this, the more suspicious it looks to the average user. If the Technic guys wanted people to donate, they'd have a link that would allow it. IHaving been from a site that allowed donations and wasn't exactly crystal clear about where the donations were going, there was an overwhelming sense of deceit, mainly the misuse of funds. No one was exactly clear on how much the owner of the site took in but some felt it was a lot. Long story short, it created a rift between site staff and the population. The site is dead and what could have been a prosperous site died simply by allowing donations and being very vague about it.

Clearly, they aren't worried about server costs. They're smart guys and probably had an idea of what the cost would entail and can afford it. The fact they're supporting mod creators and not taking any of the money themselves shows a level of integrity you don't see on the internet anymore. They're probably some of the most dedicated Minecraft fans and this site is a testament to that.