Does technicpack make money?

8keep

A simple way you could raise some money to pay for server costs, would be livestreaming. I've seen a lot of youtubers do special 24 hour livestreams, where the fans and viewers will donate.

I know you guys aren't exactly youtubers, but you have to know about a lot of the mods in the technic pack, and besides a technic lp, you could do some mod tutorials, or even visits to tekkit servers. Even livestreaming some art skills would bring in donations.

If you do it that way, you're taking donations not only for all the hard work you put into technic and the forums, but also for the entertainment you're bringing with the livestream.

A simple way you could raise some money to pay for server costs, would be livestreaming. I've seen a lot of youtubers do special 24 hour livestreams, where the fans and viewers will donate.

I know you guys aren't exactly youtubers, but you have to know about a lot of the mods in the technic pack, and besides a technic lp, you could do some mod tutorials, or even visits to tekkit servers. Even livestreaming some art skills would bring in donations.

If you do it that way, you're taking donations not only for all the hard work you put into technic and the forums, but also for the entertainment you're bringing with the livestream.

I don't know why but I can't stop thinking that I can see the youtube savvy (not me, not a single video posted yet) banding together for some kind of "Save Technic" livestream if the site ever reaches critical loss. Not very relevant but just what comes to mind.

I am sure they will find some way to provide a supplementary source of support the sever if when the time. Which now makes me picture the Tekkit "tools in a creeper bum" logo on coffee mugs and as signed prints.

Lastly obligatory (attempted) funny product description for mug idea:

Random Keller: My Tekkit coffee mug is empty, Fix it!

Kakermix: Get java. Also probated for not using the correct bug report format.

Now I'm curious as to the bandwidth costs; a good CDN can run you between $50-70/terabyte of bandwidth (usually for the first 10 or so; it gets progressively cheaper the more you use). Funnily enough, Amazon S3 is one of the poorer CDN services out there. It costs much more for little gain in reliability over other large networks.

• Forum Administrators

Just so you guys are aware, we are probably going to test having an ad in the launcher for a week to see a couple things (only on the Windows side), mainly to see how effective it actually is, and to gauge responses. It will be a simple, little adsense ad, nothing monstrous dangerous.

There are some other things we are working on, but rest assured it will always, ALWAYS be passive, non-invasive and never be anything like adf.ly or whatever else.

To give you guys an idea on the numbers we're pulling:

This has been our 'biggest' day yet.

We definitely don't use CDN's that's asking for a certain level of service that you end up paying for. We are managing everything so far and we can definitely handle much larger loads than we currently have... we are looking into ways to support it all (such as a potential week's trial of an ad in the launcher) but at this time we do not need donations and prefer that it all goes to the modder's that make the mod-packs and the launcher possible and popular.

Yeah like I said, no worries. We do this because we want to. Technic is too good an experience not to share, and with the launcher we now have something we can offer that is unique. If the cost of offering that ever gets too high, we can just put a small passive ad somewhere and I'm sure it will help keep us going. We're not worried about the cost. The most important thing is the talent. The awesome people who work with us on the team, and the great mods in the pack. Losing those would be worse then any amount we spend to keep this going.

Says you. I'm in it for the hookers and blow (and the free hot dogs).

Says you. I'm in it for the hookers and blow (and the free hot dogs).

ill send you a hot dog hux but you gotta pay the illegal bit your self

thanks to the tech team for this launcher its even child friendly to use i love that as it makes my life easier no fiddling with jar and the addition of new mod packs lately is awesome love it

The problem with that is then the money we'd be getting would otherwise go to the modders, meaning we'd be a huge magnet for the drama-llama choo choo going full speed down the fast rails. The "excess" we would be giving to the modders seems like a great idea until all 17 million of them want to audit us and send over their drama-llama air force, ground force and ships after our drama-llama trainwreck survivor hostages to prove we aren't going "oh hey yeah about that our costs were $100,000 so yeah we had to keep all our donations", not that we'd do that anyway because we're DecentGuys.

So yeah, it's a lot easier to avoid those drama-llamas, especially that air-force. Raining spit all day.

The problem with that is then the money we'd be getting would otherwise go to the modders, meaning we'd be a huge magnet for the drama-llama choo choo going full speed down the fast rails. The "excess" we would be giving to the modders seems like a great idea until all 17 million of them want to audit us and send over their drama-llama air force, ground force and ships after our drama-llama trainwreck survivor hostages to prove we aren't going "oh hey yeah about that our costs were $100,000 so yeah we had to keep all our donations", not that we'd do that anyway because we're DecentGuys.

So yeah, it's a lot easier to avoid those drama-llamas, especially that air-force. Raining spit all day.

This really cheered up my day.